PDA

View Full Version : Denney, Coughlin announce pairs partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Sylvia
05-20-2011, 08:04 AM
Out of curiosity- I really don't follow the pairs much- and forgive me for this question- but if things don't happen to work out for Yankowskas...is singles a possibility?
I posted earlier about Yankowskas' singles history here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3181664&postcount=477

olympic
05-20-2011, 12:38 PM
As we are creeping into late May, when would be a deadline for Caitlin to find a partner in order to skate competitively this coming season??

mgobluegirl
05-20-2011, 02:18 PM
As we are creeping into late May, when would be a deadline for Caitlin to find a partner in order to skate competitively this coming season??

Technically September 1, I believe. That's the qualifying competition entry deadline in the US.

GarrAarghHrumph
05-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Technically September 1, I believe. That's the qualifying competition entry deadline in the US.

In addition, right now is when skaters tend to be doing things like picking music for next year, thinking through choreo possibilities, etc. So no matter what, even if Caitlin found a new partner now, Caitlin and new partner may be a bit behind.

Sylvia
05-20-2011, 02:37 PM
Remember that Rockne Brubaker and Mary Beth Marley tried out and teamed up in August last year. She took all her pair tests before the Sept. 1st qualifying deadline and M/B exhibited 2 competition programs in mid-September.

olympic
05-20-2011, 04:29 PM
Remember that Rockne Brubaker and Mary Beth Marley tried out and teamed up in August last year. She took all her pair tests before the Sept. 1st qualifying deadline and M/B exhibited 2 competition programs in mid-September.

That's what I recall - M/B starting really late. Also, when you consider the fact that Mary Beth didn't skate pairs before, it should be a testament to their real potential!

numbers123
05-20-2011, 05:15 PM
the difference with Rockne and Mary Beth is that she needed to complete the pairs tests. If a strong male singles skater does try out and they gel, it seems to be more difficult for the man in terms of lifts, glide across the ice, throws, etc.

I've said it before and it would be nice to be disproved, but Caydee and John will need at least 2 or 3 seasons to be in the top 10-12, unless there are a lot of retirements before Souchi - not likely. I think that Caitlin and John would have continued to be in the top 6-8 if not higher.

If I am wrong, I will be the first to say so.

rfisher
05-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Mervin can't compete for Japan, and I don't want to give Caitlin to Canada, but wouldn't they be :swoon: together. Not that there's anything wrong with Narumi apart from the fact they can't compete in the Olympics.

Trankov was considering coming to the US before teaming with MM. Too bad there's not a Russian male who wants an opportunity to rise in the ranks which will be challenging given the depth of the the Russian pairs. Someone could do very well in the US.

luenatic
05-20-2011, 05:24 PM
I probably am the minority here. But I do think this new pairs have great potential to be World Medalists in 2-3 years. Guess what? 3 years later, it's the Olympics!

rfisher
05-20-2011, 05:34 PM
I probably am the minority here. But I do think this new pairs have great potential to be World Medalists in 2-3 years. Guess what? 3 years later, it's the Olympics!

:rofl: Thank you. I needed that.

olympic
05-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Mervin can't compete for Japan, and I don't want to give Caitlin to Canada, but wouldn't they be :swoon: together. Not that there's anything wrong with Narumi apart from the fact they can't compete in the Olympics.....

How tall is Mervyn? I don't get the impression that he's that tall.

Also, is he an American citizen??

aftershocks
05-20-2011, 06:40 PM

:lol: Sorry, I just looked at your user name … :rofl: And, perhaps you are being sarcastic. :P

Seriously, I don’t think you are necessarily in the minority w/in the skating community (perhaps yes on FSU). ;) D/C may share the same athletic approach, lack of aesthetically pleasing lines and maybe similar on-ice personalities, and their past success with other partners might translate into future success as a pair, but they still have to work hard and show results, first at Nationals.

Regarding potential, lots of pairs have potential. And yes, the Winter Olympics occurs every 4 years! :P In Sochi, the podium will likely consist of: S/S (unless they retire prior to 2014); V/T; P/T (unless they retire…) If no P/T or S/S, there are more than enough hungry Russian and Canadian teams to fill the top spots. And four years after that, it might be a miracle to see any U.S. pairs team on the Worlds podium, much less the Olympic podium.

Within 3 years, the top American pairs teams might be M/B, D/S, D/C, Y+? -- Who knows? Any combination of possibilities are possible, in addition to an unknown pair, yet to be formed. ;)

rfisher
05-20-2011, 06:43 PM
How tall is Mervyn? I don't get the impression that he's that tall.

Also, is he an American citizen??

He's Canadian. He looks really tall compared to his partner, but I don't know his exact height and am too lazy to look at his bio. :lol:

peibeck
05-20-2011, 06:45 PM
:rofl: Thank you. I needed that.

Now, now, rfisher. Denney/Coughlin are bound to be as equally graceful and quiet over the ice as Kawaguchi/Smirnov or the Zhangs. :EVILLE:

rfisher
05-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Regarding potential, lots of pairs have potential. And yes, the Winter Olympics occurs every 4 years! :P In Sochi, the podium will likely consist of: S/S (unless they retire prior to 2014); V/T; P/T (unless they retire…) If no P/T or S/S, there are more than enough hungry Russian and Canadian teams to fill the top spots. And four years after that, it might be a miracle to see any U.S. pairs team on the Worlds podium, much less the Olympic podium.

If S/S and/or P/T retire before Sochi, there is a real possibilty of an all Russian podium. I hope S/S don't and that P/T are allowed to if that's what they want personally.