PDA

View Full Version : Denney, Coughlin announce pairs partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

shan
05-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Did anyone see the pictures of Denney and Coughlin Icenetwork chose to use on it's frontpage (second button) announcing their partnership?

Someone over there doesn't like this partnership either. (http://web.icenetwork.com/index.jsp) :yikes:

I swear, the more absurd hostility they receive the more I want them to succeed.

That is particularly bad. I don't know who picks them, but Ice Network tends to use pictures that are either unflattering or just odd. Although looking back, the picture that went with the breakup was very nice.

leafygreens
05-19-2011, 10:29 PM
That is particularly bad. I don't know who picks them, but Ice Network tends to use pictures that are either unflattering or just odd. Although looking back, the picture that went with the breakup was very nice.

On the other hand, the one on usfsa looks... romantic.

http://usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=46171&type=media

skatemommy
05-19-2011, 10:37 PM

Wow, the snark-o-meter on the Facebook comments at ice network far outweighs anything here at FSU - y'all should be proud :rofl:

reroemer
05-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Much of the criticism seems to revolve around artistic abilities and PCS scores. So I did some research and I found it interesting that at NHK trophee this past season (An international event that included both former teams) D/B actually had higher PCS scores than Y/C.

julieann
05-19-2011, 11:12 PM
Much of the criticism seems to revolve around artistic abilities and PCS scores. So I did some research and I found it interesting that at NHK trophee this past season (An international event that included both former teams) D/B actually had higher PCS scores than Y/C.

:lol:

In the short D/B was ahead of Y/C by 0.84 points TOTAL

D/B TES 30.22 PCS 24.81 - 4th place
Y/C TES 29.93 PCS 24.26 - 6th place

In the free Y/C were ahead by 3.34 points TOTAL

D/B TES 52.66 PCS 49.93 - 3rd place
Y/C TES 47.42 PCS 49.03 - 7th place

Y/C 154.88 - 5th place
D/B 152.38 - 4th place

Neither one had two great programs those days unfortunatly.

I think one partner on one team brings the other down while the other partner tries to hold them up, I'll leave names out of it.

reroemer
05-19-2011, 11:46 PM
:lol:

D/B TES 100.69 PCS 49.03 - 3rd place
Y/C TES 97.35 PCS 49.93 - 7th place

Y/C 154.88 - 5th place
D/B 152.38 - 4th place

Neither one had two great programs those days unfortunatly.

I think one partner on one team brings the other down while the other partner tries to hold them up, I'll leave names out of it.

I think you reversed the labels on the long program scores. According to the ISU, Caydee and Jeremy's long program scored the 49.93 in PCS. The difference is very minimal, but some people on this board seem to think that the new pairing of John and Caydee will suffer in the PCS department. I really don't think the international judges see a big difference in the artistic abilities of these skaters. I'm hoping they have a good showing and that Caitlyn finds a new partner. All of these skaters have a great deal of talent.

julieann
05-20-2011, 12:40 AM
I think you reversed the labels on the long program scores. According to the ISU, Caydee and Jeremy's long program scored the 49.93 in PCS. The difference is very minimal, but some people on this board seem to think that the new pairing of John and Caydee will suffer in the PCS department. I really don't think the international judges see a big difference in the artistic abilities of these skaters. I'm hoping they have a good showing and that Caitlyn finds a new partner. All of these skaters have a great deal of talent.

Your right I have them switched, but really what was the difference?

I think what some people are trying to say - some nicely and some not so nice is...John was not the better partner in that paring so she held him up and Jeremy was the better partner in their paring, so really Caydee and John are the weaker partners in the group. Can they get the same PCS? Sure why not; but if they want to get any better than 6th or 7th, they really need to work much harder than they have in the past with their former partners who carried them.

I would change coaches, first and foremost.

GoldenMichelle
05-20-2011, 03:17 AM
I must have missed it, where does it say that John dumped Caitlin? The only articles I've seen made it sound like a mutual decision. Are we just speculating that John did the dumping or has this been confirmed? Becuase if not I think its a little harsh to jump on John when it could have just as easily been Caitlin who did the dumping.

Cheylana
05-20-2011, 03:32 AM
I must have missed it, where does it say that John dumped Caitlin?
Nowhere.

Are we just speculating that John did the dumping or has this been confirmed?
Speculation.

her grace
05-20-2011, 03:40 AM
The USFS press release on the new pairing states:

Coughlin ended his four-year on-ice partnership with Yankowskas earlier this month.

http://usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=46171&type=media

hummingbird
05-20-2011, 04:01 AM
I haven't posted in forever, and the only thing I can think of to say is that once again US pairs just can't seem to stick together long enough to get anywhere. You don't become a great pair in one or four years.

kwanfan1818
05-20-2011, 04:22 AM
While we are splitting up pairs -

After, we take up a collection and bribe Bryce to come down here and skate with Caitlin, we can split Marley / Brubaker, so he can skate with Marissa Castelli. That would be :kickass:

Mary Beth can go into Singles full-time [the US can use all the ladies it can get]

Simon Shnapir can skate with Alexe Gilles, whom we will also bribe to get to switch. THAT would be fun. :watch: Like the monster trucks edition of Pairs skating
I was far too pumped reading this post and thinking of the possibilities :lol:

It's not so much about specific partners being bad, but about seeing match-ups where the partners are stylistically compatible. I don't see that with Castelli/Shnapir, for example, or didn't with Yankowskas/Coughlin. Any partner who skates with Yankowskas and either doesn't fade completely into the woodwork, like Larionov can do with Barazova, or doesn't match her elegance and line, like Trankov now does with Volosozhar, is going to look unpolished and rough by comparison. Sometimes a contrast like that works, but more generally with women who have spunk, like Castelli or from the past Brasseur, rather than the quietly elegant ones, like Yankowskas.

I think Coughlin, whom I've met and thought was a very nice man, will look better with Denney.

In my opinion, if a partner wants to be with someone else, especially a pairs partner who has to look after the other person both physically and mentally, it's safer and better for both for them to split.

dinakt
05-20-2011, 04:28 AM
In my opinion, if a partner wants to be with someone else, especially a pairs partner who has to look after the other person both physically and mentally, it's safer and better for both for them to split.

Only too true.
I just want Caitlin to find a high-level partner so badly. She is a beautiful skater. Funny, when elegant line and carriage make it harder rather than easier to be matched up well.

mtnskater
05-20-2011, 04:32 AM
*barfs* disgusted John could leave such a beautiful and lovely skater who he seemed to have great rapport with for this unpolished clunky looking teenager.

My sentiments exactly! :mad:

RD
05-20-2011, 07:52 AM
Out of curiosity- I really don't follow the pairs much- and forgive me for this question- but if things don't happen to work out for Yankowskas...is singles a possibility?