PDA

View Full Version : Denney, Coughlin announce pairs partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

antmanb
05-19-2011, 04:46 PM
"Evaluating an option"?

Evaluating his options is generally skater code for trying to decide if you still want to skate anymore.

So rather than take the literal meaning of "evaluating your options" you'd rather take the "secret code" version of that phrase and then vilify him for meaning what he said rather than meaning what you secretly thought he said? :confused:

Cal Girl
05-19-2011, 04:56 PM
As of now it still says "She has many different pairs teams now that she herself orchestrates pairs breakups."

lmao

;) Exactly!

Skittl1321
05-19-2011, 05:26 PM
So rather than take the literal meaning of "evaluating your options" you'd rather take the "secret code" version of that phrase and then vilify him for meaning what he said rather than meaning what you secretly thought he said? :confused:

Yep! I'm fickle like that.

I still think it's odd for one of the two to say they are seeking a partner, the other to say something different, when it was clear they were both seeking a new partner. He was just further along in his search.

The announcement could have just as easily read that both were seeking new partners. Instead, it was made to sound as if Coughlin didn't know what his plans were- as if his skating future was up in the air- and he clearly knew exactly what came next; a partner search.

stjeaskategym
05-19-2011, 06:04 PM
I still think it's odd for one of the two to say they are seeking a partner, the other to say something different, when it was clear they were both seeking a new partner. He was just further along in his search.

The announcement could have just as easily read that both were seeking new partners. Instead, it was made to sound as if Coughlin didn't know what his plans were- as if his skating future was up in the air- and he clearly knew exactly what came next; a partner search.

Yup, it seemed like he was trying to avoid the impression that this had been in the works before Worlds. Maybe he was trying to make it seem like the opportunity to skate with Caydee was just something that came up in recent days, rather than the primary reason for splitting with Caitlin. The skaters who say they are "evaluating options" don't tend to already have a program choreographed with a new partner less than two weeks later. :lol: It would have been easy enough to just state that both Caitlin and John are seeking new partners.

Skittl1321
05-19-2011, 06:38 PM
The skaters who say they are "evaluating options" don't tend to already have a program choreographed with a new partner less than two weeks later. :lol:

Well, to be fair, I suck and I skated a show only two weeks after starting my new program, so I have no doubt elites could do that too. But to do it, the partner would definetly have to be picked!

stjeaskategym
05-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Well, to be fair, I suck and I skated a show only two weeks after starting my new program, so I have no doubt elites could do that too. But to do it, the partner would definetly have to be picked!

:lol: Oh I know they can do it, but the fact that they already have a program does support the idea that this partnership did not exactly form all that recently (meaning this past week).

Sylvia
05-19-2011, 07:13 PM
Hmmmm. For what it's worth, I've heard that D/C have been trying out different elements to music and don't have a program choreographed at this time.

Cheylana
05-19-2011, 07:17 PM
The announcement could have just as easily read that both were seeking new partners.

It would have been easy enough to just state that both Caitlin and John are seeking new partners.
Except John apparently was not seeking a new partner at the time of the press release because he had already lined up a new partner. So I think people would have still accused him of being a liar, if the press release had said that.

stjeaskategym
05-19-2011, 07:41 PM
Hmmmm. For what it's worth, I've heard that D/C have been trying out different elements to music and don't have a program choreographed at this time.

That would make a lot more sense. But more than one person has mentioned them already having a program. :lol: The music selection has even been thrown around. Maybe the story got twisted somewhere.

casken
05-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Did anyone see the pictures of Denney and Coughlin Icenetwork chose to use on it's frontpage (second button) announcing their partnership?

Someone over there doesn't like this partnership either. (http://web.icenetwork.com/index.jsp) :yikes:

I swear, the more absurd hostility they receive the more I want them to succeed.

MacMadame
05-19-2011, 08:16 PM
But how, exactly, was he supposed to explain this in a classy fashion in a public statement? He can't just state, "Caydee is a better partner than Caitlin", or "Caydee's mom's paying me to do this." This is just a really awkward situation. Maybe he could have mentioned in his original statement that he was skating with someone else rather than "exploring options". It was going to be announced just a week or two later that he was swapping partners, so he might as well have just been honest about it the first time. But I'm not sure what else he could have revealed publicly without coming across poorly.

What hype is the USFSA giving them? All the *hype* here is from individual posters not the federation. They won't get any money for an ISU event if they're even offered one and won't get team envelope money unless they enter an event and medal. Given that Denney and Barrett did not have a particularly good season last year I'd suspect few if any offers apart from SKAM. They might get a SKAM offer simply because the USFSA will want at least one pair in the event. E/L should get other events and M/B might be offered SKAM. It all remains to be seen what happens.

Mind you this isn't a knock on Jeremy who deserves a lot of credit for what D/B accomplished. ;) JMO
I think people are forgetting how quickly D/B came together and how promising they were that first season. Since then, unfortunately, they didn't make a lot of progress and I think that colors our memories of the team. If this had happened after their first season, I think people would be lamenting the end of D/B just as much as they are lamenting the end of Y/C.

Evaluating his options is generally skater code for trying to decide if you still want to skate anymore.
It often is, but sometimes a skater thinks they don't want to skate any more when what they really want is not to skate with their current partner for some reason (not necessarily because there is something wrong with the partner either.)

Sometimes that becomes obvious when trying out with a new partner.

aemeraldrainc
05-19-2011, 08:55 PM
Did anyone see the pictures of Denney and Coughlin Icenetwork chose to use on it's frontpage (second button) announcing their partnership?

Someone over there doesn't like this partnership either. (http://web.icenetwork.com/index.jsp) :yikes:

I swear, the more absurd hostility they receive the more I want them to succeed.

hahahaha. That's hilarious.:rofl:

iceaxels
05-19-2011, 08:57 PM
I think I missed what program they already have. I know Delilah has set "test" programs so that partners can take girls quickly through. Could it be something like that or was a competitive program seen?

sammyf
05-19-2011, 09:18 PM
I think I missed what program they already have. I know Delilah has set "test" programs so that partners can take girls quickly through. Could it be something like that or was a competitive program seen?

What test do you think Caydee needs to take? She's the Olympian and has been skating senior for quite awhile.

MacMadame
05-19-2011, 09:23 PM
I think the point is that she has these pre-canned programs that new partnerships can use to help gel quickly, not that they'd be taking any tests.