PDA

View Full Version : Denney, Coughlin announce pairs partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

reese
05-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Themi is getting up there age-wise, no? I believe he's turning 29 or 30 soon? At least a 10 year age difference with his current partner, I believe. I find that worrisome. Would have been a similar situation with Caitlin.

aftershocks
05-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Oh, I agree. But Y/C were behind D/R and L/S at 4CC. Mt/M were the top Canadian team of the GP circuit/Nationals. None are in a class ahead of the others. And keep in mind that D/R and Mt/M are also new teams as well (new to each other, anyway) - I don't see them having that much of a head start.

Sure, Proustable, but remember the competition results you are referring to involve Y/C.

D/C have yet to prove themselves as a team, and obviously they are newly created, while the Canadian teams while fairly new, have at least a whole season of partnering behind them.

'Rome wasn't built in a day', and other cliches come to mind. ;) D/C with a lot of work obviously could become a competitive team if they work hard and are able to have a good showing at Nationals. The question remains though, Will D/C be able to develop the artistry and unison that will be needed to complement their athleticism in order to be competitive with the best teams in the world, let alone grab positive attention from the international judges? The other lurking question is, How committed will they be to their partnership if they don't have measurable success right away?

RD
05-18-2011, 09:44 PM
The D/C p.r. hypers must not be on this forum then. :lol: The general tone of this thread is not really so positive.

That's the overall reaction I'm sensing from the entire skating community, not just on FSU.

RD
05-18-2011, 10:02 PM
Well, there has been several just registered posters who have wrote negative comments about Caitlin and hyped Denney. Not so much at this thread but in Cougglin/Yankowskas break-up thread.

Now that's kinda odd...perhaps it could be the Great Equalizer at work ;)

skatemommy
05-18-2011, 10:59 PM
If they look like anything other than two truck drivers on the ice, I will be shocked. PS...Delilah's story sounds SO contrived :rolleyes:

victoriaheidi
05-18-2011, 11:24 PM
What is Dalilah's story, skatemommy?

personwhoishere
05-18-2011, 11:33 PM
HUGE mistake. He should never have left Caitlin. But that's just my opinion.

dawnie
05-18-2011, 11:36 PM
Looks like someone already edited Dalilah's Wikipedia page :lol:

skatemommy
05-18-2011, 11:38 PM
What is Dalilah's story, skatemommy?

The duo will train under coach Dalilah Sappenfield at the Broadmoor Skating Club in Colorado Springs, Colo.

"I'm thankful that Caydee and John had a successful tryout, and that this partnership came together," said Sappenfield, who coached Coughlin in his most recent partnership with Caitlin Yankowskas. "These are two great U.S. athletes, and I'm pleased they have chosen to continue their careers together. I'm honored to help guide them toward their dreams."

victoriaheidi
05-19-2011, 12:42 AM
The duo will train under coach Dalilah Sappenfield at the Broadmoor Skating Club in Colorado Springs, Colo.

"I'm thankful that Caydee and John had a successful tryout, and that this partnership came together," said Sappenfield, who coached Coughlin in his most recent partnership with Caitlin Yankowskas. "These are two great U.S. athletes, and I'm pleased they have chosen to continue their careers together. I'm honored to help guide them toward their dreams."

Yeah, it sounds very planned and rehearsed.

agalisgv
05-19-2011, 12:44 AM
While people are speculating, what would people say regarding Denney & Barrett vs Denney & Coughlin? I don't see Coughlin as anywhere near as good a match for Denney as Barrett was. Do you think Barrett was a stronger skater overall, or just that he was a better match for Caydee?

Skittl1321
05-19-2011, 12:45 AM
That's the overall reaction I'm sensing from the entire skating community, not just on FSU.

Yep. Skaters at our rink were talking about it today - you can tell they don't follow pairs too highly (referred to Y. as "girl who skated in white") but they were all baffled by the partnership breaking up and John moving to skate with Denney.

We don't currently have any pairs at our rink, but a coach there has taken a few pairs to nationals at the lower levels, so there is some knowledge of the discipline at the rink. She was pretty shocked by the announcement too.

I have high hopes for them- because in general I just cheer for US skaters, but I just don't understand it. And the original breakup announcement that Y. was seeking a new partner but C. was evaluating his options, just seems so ingenuine, when it now is very clear he knew exactly what comes next, that I'm inclined to not like the new pair. Maybe they'll package Caydee better, she's a great skater, but the look on the ice is just not my thing.

Proustable
05-19-2011, 02:07 AM
Fair enough, aftershocks. I think that given that both Denney and Coughlin have been in the top ten with previous partners, that after the top five, the group of skaters is generally new to-each-other and/or inconsistent and/or not very good, so I don't really think there's any reason to write D/C off.

newbatgirl
05-19-2011, 03:05 AM
I actually thought of using Werth as an example, but decided that comparing Caydee to the Nats would be a bit too much. :D

:rofl:

aftershocks
05-19-2011, 03:07 AM
Fair enough, aftershocks. I think that given that both Denney and Coughlin have been in the top ten with previous partners, that after the top five, the group of skaters is generally new to-each-other and/or inconsistent and/or not very good, so I don't really think there's any reason to write D/C off.

Sure, Proustable, but once again I think D/C need to do well at Nationals first, unless a top two finish for them there is supposed to be a foregone conclusion. ;)

Yep, a number of posters appear to be writing D/C off, or are unhappy with the pairing for a variety of reasons. Others, including myself are pointing out pitfalls and different sides of the issue, and in general waiting to see what will transpire. As I said before, it should be interesting as things progress. I totally think all concerned might have spent more time thinking about how best to handle the awkward situation, because the way it was handled, has only led to confusion, gossip, speculation, and misgivings, some of which might have been avoided with more open communication. :)

At 2009 Nationals in Cleveland, I had missed the pairs sp, and was rushing down the walkway one evening to attend the pairs lp. There was some excitement due to the fact that a little known, fairly new team had taken first in the sp (Denney/ Barrett). I started conversing with an elderly couple who were also walking toward the venue. They were very excited, and as we continued talking, I discovered that they were Caydey Denney's grandparents. They spoke of how their whole family was very excited and proud. The past few years must have been a whirlwind for Caydey and her family. I was surprised to learn that she was only 16 at that time, because she seemed somewhat older. She definitely has talent, and a lot of room for growth. In any case, sometimes dreams come true through hard work, dedication, talent and luck.

I hope Caitlin will receive luck in finding a new partner that is a good match for her, and I wish all the teams good luck in the upcoming season, especially Evora and Ladwig who are great role models. What U.S. Pairs need to understand is that commitment to one's partner over the long haul is probably the main key to sustained success.