PDA

View Full Version : Denney, Coughlin announce pairs partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

GarrAarghHrumph
05-18-2011, 04:11 PM
A little OT, but don't just blame the skaters/coaches - you have to back up to the whole problem with developing Pairs in the US. Skaters aren't generally encouraged to skate pairs at young ages (in fact, many are actively discouraged from it), guys' muscular development happens a bit later than girls reaching puberty - guy switches to pairs in late teens & it's much easier & less disruptive to overall skating to learn with a lighter girl (sorry, that's just reality & safety), then the switch happens after the guy has the lift techniques & can lift a slightly heavier girl. Just "hitting the gym" leads to bulked up guy, negatively imapcting jumps. Anyway, I'm over-simplifying, but you probably get the gist.

To add to this, there is very little pairs ice available in the US. Most rinks that have freestyle sessions have no pairs ice, and pairs moves are usually forbidden on normal freestyles. Even if a young kid wanted to do pairs, I'm not sure how he could, in most places, if there's no ice.

The few rinks I've seen with pairs ice, the pairs ice is for high level skaters only. So a skater really can't even start pairs until he's a fairly advanced singles skater - not conducive to developing US pairs from ground-up.

Frau Muller
05-18-2011, 04:30 PM
IMO, one of John Coughlin's biggest strengths are his lifts and footwork in the lifts -- he has solid technique, not just brute strength. He's very secure and perhaps, hopefully, Caydee Denney can improve her positions in the lifts as a result.

Like improving her positions will change everything? :lol: Wake up and smell the coffee.

aftershocks
05-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Do people really not think that D/C can be competitive with Moore-Towers/Moscovitch? Or Duhamel/Radford? That's surprising.

The top five seem to be out of reach right now, but the next group are tightly clustered together.

Hmmm, perhaps. But it was Y/C who placed 6th in front of the Canadians at 2011 Worlds (12 pts behind the third Russian team and only about 3 pts in front of Duhamel/ Radford and over 12 pts in front of Moore-Towers/ Moskovitch). Again, it may have been Caitlin's aesthetic qualities which largely helped land them in 6th, not to downplay John's strong partnering skills. :)

Before D/C can be considered competitive with at least the Canadians internationally, they will have to show what they can do together in the fall and at Nationals next year. It seems obvious to me that USFS wants D/C to succeed, but again there are no quick fixes and instant results (unless we are all pleasantly surprised). Wanting, wishing and supporting, must still await actual performance and results over time.

hippychick
05-18-2011, 06:40 PM
It seems that USFS wants to hype this team. Just as they wanted to hype Marley and Brubaker last year. I feel sorry for all the other promising pair teams in this country who dont seem to have the same support. Many people wonder why so many promising pair teams break up. If you were faced with other teams getting this much hype year after year before they even have proven themselves it would be increadibly discouraging to continue.

rfisher
05-18-2011, 06:52 PM
What hype is the USFSA giving them? All the *hype* here is from individual posters not the federation. They won't get any money for an ISU event if they're even offered one and won't get team envelope money unless they enter an event and medal. Given that Denney and Barrett did not have a particularly good season last year I'd suspect few if any offers apart from SKAM. They might get a SKAM offer simply because the USFSA will want at least one pair in the event. E/L should get other events and M/B might be offered SKAM. It all remains to be seen what happens.

victoriaheidi
05-18-2011, 06:59 PM
What hype is the USFSA giving them? All the *hype* here is from individual posters not the federation. They won't get any money for an ISU event if they're even offered one and won't get team envelope money unless they enter an event and medal. Given that Denney and Barrett did not have a particularly good season last year I'd suspect few if any offers apart from SKAM. They might get a SKAM offer simply because the USFSA will want at least one pair in the event. E/L should get other events and M/B might be offered SKAM. It all remains to be seen what happens.

I wish Davis/Leftheris would get SA. They really gel so well together and could become a top US pair if they could get themselves out there!

leafygreens
05-18-2011, 07:05 PM
"I'm thankful that Caydee and John had a successful tryout, and that this partnership came together," said Sappenfield, who coached Coughlin in his most recent partnership with Caitlin Yankowskas. "These are two great U.S. athletes, and I'm pleased they have chosen to continue their careers together. I'm honored to help guide them toward their dreams."

Does anybody find this quote suspicious? Why would Delilah care if these two specifically had a good tryout? There are other skaters that Caydee could have paired with. What does she stand to gain from the pairing of these two specific skaters? It sounds like a lot was riding on this "tryout."

Did anyone else listen to what John said in the Kiss n Cry after the long at Worlds? He gives a shout out to "on the side, on the side". It's hard not to wonder is he wasn't sending a message to Caydee.

If he was sending a message to Caydee, then they're definitely dating. I don't know what the significance of being "on the side" would be for her though.

Proustable
05-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Hmmm, perhaps. But it was Y/C who placed 6th in front of the Canadians at 2011 Worlds (12 pts behind the third Russian team and only about 3 pts in front of Duhamel/ Radford and over 12 pts in front of Moore-Towers/ Moskovitch). Again, it may have been Caitlin's aesthetic qualities which largely helped land them in 6th, not to downplay John's strong partnering skills. :)

Before D/C can be considered competitive with at least the Canadians internationally, they will have to show what they can do together in the fall and at Nationals next year. It seems obvious to me that USFS wants D/C to succeed, but again there are no quick fixes and instant results (unless we are all pleasantly surprised). Wanting, wishing and supporting, must still await actual performance and results over time.

Oh, I agree. But Y/C were behind D/R and L/S at 4CC. Mt/M were the top Canadian team of the GP circuit/Nationals. None are in a class ahead of the others. And keep in mind that D/R and Mt/M are also new teams as well (new to each other, anyway) - I don't see them having that much of a head start.

wickedwitch
05-18-2011, 07:31 PM
I've been a fan of John's since his previous partnership. I've disliked Denney's skating for about the same length of time. I'm not thrilled to see them together.

But best of luck to them.

stjeaskategym
05-18-2011, 07:39 PM
It seems that USFS wants to hype this team. Just as they wanted to hype Marley and Brubaker last year. I feel sorry for all the other promising pair teams in this country who dont seem to have the same support. Many people wonder why so many promising pair teams break up. If you were faced with other teams getting this much hype year after year before they even have proven themselves it would be increadibly discouraging to continue.

I don't see this as USFS hyping anyone. Any former National Champion is going to get more recognition/attention than a pair of skaters without any titles to their name. I doubt there would have been a press release/AP article written about the formation of this pair had both Denney and Coughlin never won a US title. It doesn't mean USFS is hyping them or making them out to be anything more than an unknown team at this point-- they are just recognizing them based on previous accomplishments with other partners.

Frau Muller
05-18-2011, 07:45 PM
What hype is the USFSA giving them? All the *hype* here is from individual posters not the federation. .....

Several of the "hypers" are indeed doing the work of USFSA (or other federations, or agents of skaters, etc.). I don't mean individual USFSA members who pay their dues and belong to skating clubs but proactive p.r. types. It's a common way of stakeholders to unofficially "police" popular forums (message boards) all over the internet. One of the ballet boards is manned by someone who represents a major US ballet company, for example; any negative discussions on dancers who s/he represents are quickly snuffed. No problem with this, IMO, just so the average poster is aware of this and realizes that some seemingly "ordinary" posters are professional p.r. people being directed by their employers to police websites -- stoke the "hype" and occasionally shut-up the opposition. Nothing illegal about that but perhaps a tad sneaky.

stjeaskategym
05-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Several of the "hypers" are indeed doing the work of USFSA (or other federations, or agents of skaters, etc.). I don't mean individual USFSA members who pay their dues and belong to skating clubs but proactive p.r. types. It's a common way of stakeholders to unofficially "police" popular forums (message boards) all over the internet. One of the ballet boards is manned by someone who represents a major US ballet company, for example; any negative discussions on dancers who s/he represents are quickly snuffed. No problem with this, IMO, just so the average poster is aware of this and realizes that some seemingly "ordinary" posters are professional p.r. people being directed by their employers to police websites -- stoke the "hype" and occasionally shut-up the opposition. Nothing illegal about that but perhaps a tad sneaky.

The D/C p.r. hypers must not be on this forum then. :lol: The general tone of this thread is not really so positive.

Nekatiivi
05-18-2011, 08:14 PM
The D/C p.r. hypers must not be on this forum then. :lol: The general tone of this thread is not really so positive.

Well, there has been several just registered posters who have wrote negative comments about Caitlin and hyped Denney. Not so much at this thread but in Cougglin/Yankowskas break-up thread.

olympic
05-18-2011, 08:27 PM
I wish Davis/Leftheris would get SA. They really gel so well together and could become a top US pair if they could get themselves out there!

Any word on D/L? I suppose I should ask this question in the Pairs thread, but saw it here. I always thought of Themi as one of our most talented male pairs skaters and would like to see him skate with someone like Caitlin. But, maybe he is progressing with her

victoriaheidi
05-18-2011, 08:36 PM
Any word on D/L? I suppose I should ask this question in the Pairs thread, but saw it here. I always thought of Themi as one of our most talented male pairs skaters and would like to see him skate with someone like Caitlin. But, maybe he is progressing with her

I saw them skate a few months back. They look so good together! I wish I could recall the specifics of the program-I can't-but, imo, they are so good at working together. They, as I said before, "gel" in a way that I don't think we see a lot...I really do get the "two as one" impression from them.

I would have loved Caitlin and Themi, but I just love Lindsay with him and I would hate to see Lindsay in Caitlin's place.