PDA

View Full Version : Denney, Coughlin announce pairs partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Proustable
05-18-2011, 04:11 AM
Lets say he says "Denney's representatives offered me more money." Skating's his career right now, right? It's ridiculously expensive and if he can get more money out of it, then why shouldn't he? Would it still feel like Caitlin got "jobbed?"

Or lets say he says "Caitlin was a raging bitch on wheels. Her mom harrased me constantly at practices, I didn't feel emotionally supported, etc" Is there really any classy way to say that?

newbatgirl
05-18-2011, 04:12 AM
Sure, but you don't often see athletes wanting to be traded to a weaker team. I don't question his character - just his good judgment. I mean, if Roy Halladay wanted to be traded to, say, the Rockies, that would be a bit weird, wouldn't it?

Now you're speaking my language. Jason Werth left the Phillies last year to play for the Nationals because his agent got him a ridiculously lucrative contract. Guess he decided that the cash looked better in his hand than another World Series ring would look on his finger.

agalisgv
05-18-2011, 04:17 AM
I think they should simply let their skating do the talking.Kinda hard to do when one of them doesn't have anyone to skate with anymore :shuffle:

blue_idealist
05-18-2011, 04:19 AM
On the side, on the side = a different version to beyoncee's song that goes "to the left to the left"

That's all.

Oh, great, so he was basically saying that Caitlin shouldn't think she's irreplaceable. :rolleyes:

blue_idealist
05-18-2011, 04:21 AM
Sparks runs off to consult her Navajo speaking peeps. :fan21: :sekret: :D

On the side, on the side = a different version to beyoncee's song that goes "to the left to the left"

That's all.[/QUOTE]

Oh great, so he was basically saying Caitlin shouldn't think she's irreplaceable. :rolleyes:

numbers123
05-18-2011, 04:22 AM
I don't know what Todd and Jenny's comments were when they broke up their teams they are the closest to a similar situation. maybe they did or didn't handle it well either. but if Coughlin came out with a statement of the reason - like I got paid more to do this, or I fell in love or whatever, that would put things on a better level than the "exploring my options" where the option apparently had been exlored and decided weeks ago.

Agal is right one of the parties is without a partner, so how does one let the partnerships speak for themselves.

iceaxels
05-18-2011, 04:28 AM
Any reason you wrote the exact same post in 2 different threads?[/QUOTE]

I posted in the other thread that Cali Girl could be Keauna or Brynn Carmann who has been vocal on Johns fb page

euterpe
05-18-2011, 04:51 AM
I'm finding it very hard to be excited about this new pairing. I like Caydee Denney, but I loved Yankowskas/Coughlin because they were classy.

iceaxels
05-18-2011, 04:59 AM
Weren't the Denney's from Colorado?

reese
05-18-2011, 05:05 AM
Weren't the Denney's from Colorado?

They are originally from Florida. Caydee originally paired up with Jeremy Barrett the first time in 2006. She then dumped him after 4 months to move to Colorado Springs to train singles under Tom Zzzzz. When that didn't work out, she and her mom and sister moved *back* to Florida, Caydee's mom dug up Jeremy again and asked if he would be interested in skating with Caydee again. Interestingly, Caydee claimed she was miserable in Colorado and missed her dad who was still back in Florida. Cut to 3 years later and she's back in Colorado at the same rink with a new partner (and mom and sister in tow again).

rocket
05-18-2011, 05:09 AM
I have been reading this board on and off for a couple of years and this is my first post. I assure you I am no one's mother, father, friend, etc.

When I started reading the rumors about this pairing I simply could not believe it. After reading more posts it is clear there are people on this board with better access to and knowledge of elite skaters than I who knew for certain this was coming. Given that I am not surprised by this announcement, but like many here, I am confused because to the average fan this came out of nowhere. But what I have realized is very little comes out of nowhere so...let's congratulate John and Caitlin on their successes. Let's appreciate the fact that whatever differences they had with each other (and clearly there must have been some) were not aired publicly. John's quotes and tweets at worlds indicated something was about to happen...if I could pick it up...clearly Caitlin could too. I have to believe this was not a surprise to her.

I will admit, I am not a Caydee fan. While I have appreciated her fearlessness, I have never found her style pleasing or her overall presence compelling on the ice. That said, both of these women have strengths and weaknesses...it is just that their strengths and weaknesses are so different that it makes it a compelling rivalry...even if the rivalry was created on this board.

I predict I will find it hard to route for this team...not because of how they came together, but because the combination of their skills, style, strengths and weaknesses will likely not match what I find compelling in a pair team. But it will be fun to watch!

5Ali3
05-18-2011, 05:33 AM
Oh, great, so he was basically saying that Caitlin shouldn't think she's irreplaceable. :rolleyes:

One of the most successful pair coaches in the U.S. made a point of letting each of his skaters know that they were replaceable: skater missed practices, skater didn't put in full effort, skater talked back, skater kicked the ice, skater broke "ice rules", the skater would be kicked out of the rink: no one skater is irreplaceable and the coach didn't "need" any particular skater. This was especially effective with the pair boys, who often believed that they were, in fact, irreplaceable. The coach didn't hesitate to follow through, and the older skaters made sure that the newbies understood that this was a rink where you did full run-throughs, where you were always five minutes early for a session, and where you never, ever, ever mouthed back at the coach.

This is unrelated to the particular situation at hand and is not intended to reflect on John, Caitlin, or Caydee, or their current situation. In general, however, I dispute the idea that it's always wrong for a skater to be told that he/she is replaceable: there's a time and place for it, and in the time and place where this particular coach made that lesson the first one that his pairs skaters learned, there was an understanding that the enterprise wasn't about ME-ME-ME.

Allskate
05-18-2011, 05:47 AM
Just anything to let us know why Coughlin would give up a promising partnership (that was clearly given a stamp of approval by international judges) to skate with someone else.

Like for instance: is Caitlin a raging bitch on wheels? Is it about money? etc.

As of now, I'm just baffled by it, because frankly, I think Yankowskas made that partnership. Her lines and kinda Russian type qualities made up for his shortcomings.

Right now, it just looks like Caitlin got completely jobbed by her ex-partner and their coach which really sucks for her.

There are 2 sides to every story, but as of right now, the only thing we've got is speculation and that speculation is making Denney, Coughlin, and Sappenfeld look bad imo.

I don't think we're going to get any explanation like that. American skaters are trained in PR to never say anything like this, and I think the USFSA would not be happy with any of those answers. I'm trying to remember how it was we found out about how Kyoko Ina dumped Jason Dunjen.

I agree that people will continue to speculate because, based on skating, John's decision is baffling to me. Give me Caitlin any day. I can't remember the last time I liked an American pairs skater as much.

I think they should simply let their skating do the talking.

I don't think their skating will give a very good explanation. It is hard to believe that John thought he was trading for a better skater.

MoreIce
05-18-2011, 05:53 AM
[QUOTE=I posted in the other thread that Cali Girl could be Keauna or Brynn Carmann who has been vocal on Johns fb page[/QUOTE]

Just because I'm nosey, what did they say on his fb?

Personally I just cannot get behind this pair, and I don't think I will ever be able too unless Caitlin finds an amazing partner.

casken
05-18-2011, 06:38 AM
This thread is actually making me root for them. :lol: