PDA

View Full Version : Denney, Coughlin announce pairs partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

victoriaheidi
05-18-2011, 12:57 AM
I understand where you are coming from. And happiness IS more important than skating. But John did not quit to be happy. He is skating. So:
We don't know what John and Caitlin went through. But I would argue with "No one owes anyone an explanation". That is the same as fans saying right now " We don't owe John our loyalty". Nobody owes anybody anything! But it would be nice to have an explanation, in order to be able to emotionally invest in a new team. Because right now, without explanation, it looks like the previous news release about Y/C splitting was a badly- veiled lie, as the decision was made beforehand; and it looks like Caitlin- a strong partner- was dumped after Y/C's best year together.
Re: explanations...They don't even need to say the whole truth...but they need to say at least something to make fans understand why we should put faith in the new team rather than perceive it as one partner betraying another.
I don't want to be blindly against anybody. But it looks bad right now, and if there is anything to say to make fans understand the decision they need to say it.

This is exactly how I feel. Obviously, there's a story, but all that we know is that the current top US pair split for no particularly good reason after posting great scores at Worlds. At the time of the split, neither had specific or even general plans, but a few weeks later, he's partnered up with the young, rich former Nat'l Champ. It doesn't look good that way.

Sometimes, I think it's better to be upfront because doing so leaves little room for speculation and causes much less drama. Or, at least, a good, plausible cover story would cause less drama (Caitlin's going to college! I don't know, you get my point).

I also have a purely rhetorical, slightly off-topic question: why does Caydee pick such old partners? I'd get it if she were beyond her age in terms of talent or maturity, but she just seems like a 17/18-year-old to me, and she's so little that it looks strange to see her with the older guys. Aren't there any decent pairs skaters who are in their early 20's?

hlp728
05-18-2011, 01:00 AM
I understand where you are coming from. And happiness IS more important than skating. But John did not quit to be happy. He is skating. So:
We don't know what John and Caitlin went through. But I would argue with "No one owes anyone an explanation". That is the same as fans saying right now " We don't owe John our loyalty". Nobody owes anybody anything! But it would be nice to have an explanation, in order to be able to emotionally invest in a new team. Because right now, without explanation, it looks like the previous news release about Y/C splitting was a badly- veiled lie, as the decision was made beforehand; and it looks like Caitlin- a strong partner- was dumped after Y/C's best year together.
Re: explanations...They don't even need to say the whole truth...but they need to say at least something to make fans understand why we should put faith in the new team rather than perceive it as one partner betraying another.
I don't want to be blindly against anybody. But it looks bad right now, and if there is anything to say to make fans understand the decision they need to say it.

Well spoken quote.

As a fan, it would be nice to hear part of what drew John and Caydee together, then maybe I could connect with this new team. I was emotionally invested in John and Caitlin. For me, this decision was baffling because John and Caitlin had such success this year and had made steady improvements, I don't have privy to what goes on in their day to day skating lives, that might explain the split, so a small explanation would help me cope. I wish Caydee and John the best, but my real desire is for Caitlin to find a partner where they can be medal contenders at the world level. Caydee is still quite young and developing her style and I would love to see her improvements in all areas. With this new partership, I am curious to see what kind of programs they will try. Something makes me think up-beat.

kwanette
05-18-2011, 01:07 AM
Well spoken quote.

As a fan, it would be nice to hear part of what drew John and Caydee together, then maybe I could connect with this new team. I was emotionally invested in John and Caitlin. For me, this decision was baffling because John and Caitlin had such success this year and had made steady improvements, I don't have privy to what goes on in their day to day skating lives, that might explain the split, so a small explanation would help me cope. I wish Caydee and John the best, but my real desire is for Caitlin to find a partner where they can be medal contenders at the world level. Caydee is still quite young and developing her style and I would love to see her improvements in all areas. With this new partership, I am curious to see what kind of programs they will try. Something makes me think up-beat.

But would a small explanation do?

RD
05-18-2011, 01:10 AM
This is exactly how I feel. Obviously, there's a story, but all that we know is that the current top US pair split for no particularly good reason after posting great scores at Worlds. At the time of the split, neither had specific or even general plans, but a few weeks later, he's partnered up with the young, rich former Nat'l Champ. It doesn't look good that way.

Sometimes, I think it's better to be upfront because doing so leaves little room for speculation and causes much less drama. Or, at least, a good, plausible cover story would cause less drama (Caitlin's going to college! I don't know, you get my point).

Agreed. Sure, they don't owe the fans an explanation, but they also must realize, and accept, the likelihood that by not giving one, especially for a seemingly inexplicable move, they give fans all kinds of latitude and fuel to speculate and keep the rumor mill churning. Leave it churning for long enough and people start to accept it as truth. As we see in this thread, such speculation is often not pretty.

So of course, they have the right to not say anything. But in return, if their fans feel betrayal, they should not be shocked if they notice a sudden lack of support.

genevieve
05-18-2011, 01:13 AM
:confused: I guess that I'm even more confused by this analogy, then. Who/what comprises Caitlyn's "team" for which this trade is reciprocal?
The teams are the pairs. John was traded to form a new team with Denney, and Caitlyn was the one left out.

snip post...
Any reason you wrote the exact same post in 2 different threads?

overedge
05-18-2011, 01:20 AM
Aren't there any decent pairs skaters who are in their early 20's?

I think in the US they are all in novice pairs, skating with prepubescent girls half their height.

victoriaheidi
05-18-2011, 01:34 AM
I think in the US they are all in novice pairs, skating with prepubescent girls half their height.

Ick. What is with this weird age trend? Is there any way to reduce the creepy age differences?

wildfire
05-18-2011, 01:35 AM
Did anyone else listen to what John said in the Kiss n Cry after the long at Worlds? He gives a shout out to "on the side, on the side". It's hard not to wonder is he wasn't sending a message to Caydee.

Iceman
05-18-2011, 01:38 AM
If you have a FB account you see Tai's comment at the end of the Icenetwork article. If not, not.

I don't have a FB account and I could see Tai's comment.

I find all of this confusing.

Lacey
05-18-2011, 01:38 AM
Maybe everyone picks on Pairs because US Dance is somewhat settled, and singles is, just that, individual skating--half the pairs and therefore half the problems that we get with pair skaters.

We can't be inside of the pair situation in the US because we are not there, and a lot of what we have been hearing--while interesting--is pure speculation. And some of it is not nice.

I guess I shouldn't go to Nationals, because, if I hear booing, I just may blow my top. Really, people, that would be like scraping the bottom of the barrel.

We should all wish these skaters well and hope they have a good summer pre season while we wait to see how things turn out. My biggest desire is that anyone who wants a partner will be paired up. I'd love to hear about music and costumes, but hope we don't get bogged down by "she can't land the throws," or "the sbs jumps are not there" comments because the off and preseason is just practice. Just enjoy the dreams, we should sit back, chill and save our energy for the fall season and carry through until US Nats, where I am quite sure that Pairs will be exhilarating, and, yes, perhaps to Worlds. And be glad, because we have more pairs competitors in the US than some countries do.

reroemer
05-18-2011, 01:46 AM
As a Mom of a young Figure Skater, it is so disturbing to read all these insensitive comments. Who are we to judge the path someone else should take. No one knows what he has gone through to choose this path nor does John owe anyone an explanation. It's his life and no one has the right to judge what he chooses to do with it. Shame on all of you for writing such derogatory comments to a boy who tragically lost his mother last year. As a mother I would want my child to be happy, because happiness in life is more important than skating. I'm so taken back by the awful comments towards these kids, that I question if this is the right sport for my child.

I applaud your response. I have been trying to say this since john and caitlyn split. People let's try to focus on the potential positives and stop bashing individual skaters.

AxelAnnie
05-18-2011, 01:49 AM
I'm with you Sylvia, We should wish this team Good Luck in the upcoming season! I'm excited to see how this team develops.

I can wish a partnership well that started out with such deception and underhanded actions.

Sorry.

rfisher
05-18-2011, 01:51 AM
I applaud your response. I have been trying to say this since john and caitlyn split. People let's try to focus on the potential positives and stop bashing individual skaters.

OK. And what exactly is the positive for Caitlin? Unless she's quitting skating to do something totally different, I don't see the positives here? And since she's the half of Y/C I enjoyed watching, all I see is negatives for her. I don't really care about the *new pair.* They aren't my cup of tea and won't pay a lot of attention to what they do. So, give me a positive here. Thanks.

kwanette
05-18-2011, 01:53 AM
Did anyone else listen to what John said in the Kiss n Cry after the long at Worlds? He gives a shout out to "on the side, on the side". It's hard not to wonder is he wasn't sending a message to Caydee.

He had been saying that on Twitter and FB before Worlds. We'll have to bring the Navajo in to break the code.

Iceman
05-18-2011, 01:54 AM
Maybe all the uncertainty will cause John and Rena to forge a comeback LMAO.