PDA

View Full Version : Denney, Coughlin announce pairs partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

kwanette
05-17-2011, 11:32 PM
Has a skater/skaters ever been booed at Nationals?

I'm not booing any skater until that skater sells meth or tries to whack a fellow competitor.

julieann
05-17-2011, 11:32 PM

I don't think so, you may hear crickets once the real story gets out. :yikes:

dinakt
05-17-2011, 11:33 PM
As a Mom of a young Figure Skater, it is so disturbing to read all these insensitive comments. Who are we to judge the path someone else should take. No one knows what he has gone through to choose this path nor does John owe anyone an explanation. It's his life and no one has the right to judge what he chooses to do with it. Shame on all of you for writing such derogatory comments to a boy who tragically lost his mother last year. As a mother I would want my child to be happy, because happiness in life is more important than skating. I'm so taken back by the awful comments towards these kids, that I question if this is the right sport for my child.

I understand where you are coming from. And happiness IS more important than skating. But John did not quit to be happy. He is skating. So:
We don't know what John and Caitlin went through. But I would argue with "No one owes anyone an explanation". That is the same as fans saying right now " We don't owe John our loyalty". Nobody owes anybody anything! But it would be nice to have an explanation, in order to be able to emotionally invest in a new team. Because right now, without explanation, it looks like the previous news release about Y/C splitting was a badly- veiled lie, as the decision was made beforehand; and it looks like Caitlin- a strong partner- was dumped after Y/C's best year together.
Re: explanations...They don't even need to say the whole truth...but they need to say at least something to make fans understand why we should put faith in the new team rather than perceive it as one partner betraying another.
I don't want to be blindly against anybody. But it looks bad right now, and if there is anything to say to make fans understand the decision they need to say it.

numbers123
05-17-2011, 11:34 PM
I believe that there have been incidents where booing has occurred and skaters might have thought it was directed towards them, but actually was directed towards the judging. I don't know that I would boo any skater, except in cases of illegal activities.

julieann
05-17-2011, 11:35 PM
"No one owes anyone an explanation". That is the same as fans saying" We don't owe John our loyalty"

:encore:

Cheylana
05-17-2011, 11:35 PM
I think Galler-Rabinowitz & Mitchell had a somewhat muted audience reaction in 2006, due to the :mitchell: controversy, but no booing that I heard.

I sure hope nobody advocates booing anyone next year?!?!

eurodance2001
05-17-2011, 11:37 PM

Wasn't Nicole Bobek booed when it was announced that she was withdrawing in 1996?

Sparks
05-17-2011, 11:43 PM
I'm not booing any skater until that skater sells meth or tries to whack a fellow competitor.

I will save my BOOs for $peedy and for other certain judges.

eurodance2001
05-17-2011, 11:53 PM

This 100%!! Where is Alla Shekhovtseva when you want her?

kwanette
05-18-2011, 12:17 AM

Of course, been there, done that...BUT not for a skater..

attyfan
05-18-2011, 12:37 AM
I believe that there have been incidents where booing has occurred and skaters might have thought it was directed towards them, but actually was directed towards the judging. I don't know that I would boo any skater, except in cases of illegal activities.

I think that happened to Dorothy Hamill once ... the audience was booing the marks given to the skater before her ... and she thought they were booing her.

stjeaskategym
05-18-2011, 12:38 AM
There's also some speculation that the Denney sisters were negotiated as a package deal for Dalilah, creating an environment that allowed the chain of events.

:lol: I feel like people are making this sound shadier than it needs to be. Aren't all siblings who do the same sport a "package deal"? Of course the Denneys wanted both of them to train in the same location. Even if the Denneys were willing to pay Dalilah a boatload of money to take on both of their kids and set them up with partners, it doesn't mean John had to go along with it. Nobody was going to force him to ditch his National Champ partner.

Ughh. There has to be something going on behind the scenes. It's all too bizarre. They seemed so happy with their scores and placement in Moscow.

I thought they looked a little subdued in Moscow, particularly in the K&C after the LP. Under normal circumstances, I think there would have been far more jubilation with their skate/score/placement. I thought their demeanor was noticeably different at Nationals before the Denney decision. Dalilah was barely cracking a smile after that Worlds LP. They knew it was over. Certainly, the Denney decision wasn't made the day after Worlds or anything. John had this ready to go in advance.

barbk
05-18-2011, 12:46 AM

Amen.

I'm disappointed in the breakup of what seemed to be a fine, successful team, but they don't owe me a lifetime partnership. (Ditto with Ina breaking up with Jason, Sand breaking up with Kuchiki,...)

Whatever the reasons, I'm sure they make good sense to John, and I would not dream of booing him.

I hope Caitlin is able to find a partner than can do her justice.

Cal Girl
05-18-2011, 12:47 AM
First of all to Caitlin. You are the most elegant skater and you deserve so much better than this.
You deserve a coach who wants the best for the team - not just the individual skater. You and John could have gone so much further if you didn't have a coach undermining your ability and confidence.
I am certain you will be fine in the long run but understand you must be devastated by the situation.
And to John who I used to admire as a person but through the last few years I have figured out you were not the person you portrayed. I am disappointed.
I do wish Denney and Coughlin the best. But to Caitlin - I wish good fortune and happiness with a new partner and hopefully a new coach.

Does anyone else see a pattern here with Dallila? So much talent has gone by the wayside with her. Something is definitely not kosher in COSprings. If I were any parent with a child in skating or wanting to pursue pairs, I certainly would not go there for training, especially for girls.
Cal Girl is online now Add to Cal Girl's Reputation Report Post Edit/Delete Message

RD
05-18-2011, 12:55 AM
:lol: I feel like people are making this sound shadier than it needs to be. Aren't all siblings who do the same sport a "package deal"? Of course the Denneys wanted both of them to train in the same location. Even if the Denneys were willing to pay Dalilah a boatload of money to take on both of their kids and set them up with partners, it doesn't mean John had to go along with it. Nobody was going to force him to ditch his National Champ partner.

There ya go. Womp womp.

I suspected that it had to be Coughlin's decision at some point, because even if the conspiracy theories have some truth in them and the coach had something to do with it, there's no way she could have made this happen without either John's or Caitlin's help. Heck, for all we know the decision could have been mutual. And in the chance there was significant pressure, Y/C could have just found another coach...right?

[Y/C] knew it was over. Certainly, the Denney decision wasn't made the day after Worlds or anything. John had this ready to go in advance.

As soon as news of the Y/C breakup emerged, the rumor mill began churning that Coughlin was indeed "switching partners". So yes, I buy this. Someone in the know must have let it slip.