PDA

View Full Version : 2011/12 ISU International Competition Schedule (Thornhill added as a Senior B)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Sylvia
07-01-2011, 03:25 PM
I really hope Elladj Baldé and Adriana DeSanctis (both were 5th at Canadians) are sent to Nebelhorn to get the minimum GP score.

It will be interesting to see which other skaters and teams Skate Canada will send. Alexandra Najarro (4th at 2011 Canadians) and Liam Firus (6th) are both JGP age-eligible for one last season. 7th and 8th at Canadians were Ronald Lam and Ian Martinez (Martinez's only GP was 2008 Skate America and Lam has never been to a Senior B).

Proustable
07-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Firus is staying junior for sure. Najarro should but given the state of Canada's ladies, could inadvertently do well enough to get sent to 4CC.

It's wierd - before the 2007 Worlds Skate Canada mentioned that they knew they were doing something wrong with skating development but it seems that they just didn't care. With one or two star athletes, they seem to be happy. Disappointing.

kwanfan1818
07-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Interesting about Firus. He had such a disappointing Jr. Worlds this year, but he's a beautiful skater. Maybe he wants to up the technical ante first on the junior circuit. (And, of course, he's already likely to have met the new minimum scores last season and would have been eligible for the alternates list.)

Proustable
07-01-2011, 05:07 PM
I should've posted a source for my assertion (http://www.goldenskate.com/2011/06/firus-attributes-success-to-balance/)

“Primarily I have been working on my triple Axel, but I have not forgotten my basic skating skills and program components,” Firus said of his training plan. “I think the triple Axel is a primary factor in moving up in the ISU standings this year, and it also never hurts to improve the program component side of skating. I am going to stay on the junior circuit one more year to try to gain as many ISU points as I can. The locations of the events this season are great, and I am looking forward to traveling to wherever I get assigned.”

So as you assumed, upping the technical ante is definitely a factor.

kwanfan1818
07-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Good for Firus with this plan. ETA: Many thanks for the article (and my new signature line). It's always great to read about a BC skater who isn't part of Cult McLeod.

I hope Dallas Daniel does the same. I lurved her at Canadian Nats last year.

Pratfall
07-01-2011, 09:52 PM
I was very favourably impressed with Dallas , too..:)

And can I just say..JM is a monster ( and her clothes are imaginary ) in my admittedly humble ( but developed by many decades of watching ) opinion .

kppt
07-09-2011, 05:47 AM
I agree that the cancellation of the Sr B is disappointing, however I heard that the US wasn't planning on sending anyone, including officials and that's why it was cancelled.

Coco
07-10-2011, 03:48 AM
Is that just life or is it deliberate lack of support? Hmmm...

Sylvia
07-10-2011, 02:02 PM
I agree that the cancellation of the Sr B is disappointing, however I heard that the US wasn't planning on sending anyone, including officials and that's why it was cancelled.
Does anyone know if and when Skate Canada notified USFS that it was planning to make Thornhill a Senior B? I wondered why an official competition announcement for the Senior B portion of Thornhill wasn't published online early on? Was an announcement ever drafted and distributed?

I believe it may have come as a surprise to USFS and that could explain why they (allegedly) weren't able to come up with the funds to send skaters (their international competition budgets are planned well ahead of time, AFAIK). And wouldn't the expenses of the judges and technical panel officials be paid for by Skate Canada?

If there is going to be a successful Senior B or two organized in North America in the future, communication and early planning between Skate Canada and USFS is the key, IMO.

barbk
07-10-2011, 06:58 PM
I don't see that it is unreasonable to tell those who want a Senior B that they need to pay their own way -- I'm sure that there would be no shortage of skaters willing to do so. Perhaps the USFSA could provide travelships for financially needy skaters, but it isn't as if Thornhill is really tough or really expensive to get to. I can't imagine that the costs would be much different from going to Indy Pairs or Lake Placid Dance, and plenty of skaters manage that. (I'd still like to see them figure out a way to make both Indy and Lake Placid Senior B's, or add a Senior B component to each of them.)

mag
07-11-2011, 04:32 AM
Interesting about Firus. He had such a disappointing Jr. Worlds this year, but he's a beautiful skater. Maybe he wants to up the technical ante first on the junior circuit. (And, of course, he's already likely to have met the new minimum scores last season and would have been eligible for the alternates list.)

Rumor has it that Firus is headed to Australia for his first JGP. (This came to me through a couple of kids so take that for what it is worth :))

Sylvia
07-12-2011, 08:55 PM
International Figure Skating Competitions 2011/2012 - Color Version
July 2011 (Updated Version July 11, 2011) -- direct link to PDF: http://isu.sportcentric.net/db/files/serve.php?id=2704

A newly added competition is the Winter Games New Zealand in Dunedin NZL, August 10–14, 2011.

Also, the 3rd Mont Blanc Trophy March 13–18, 2012, in Courmayeur, ITA has Deleted Pairs, added Dance.

seabm7
07-13-2011, 03:35 AM
A newly added competition is the Winter Games New Zealand in Dunedin NZL, August 10–14, 2011.

Very interesting. Is this competition considered as a senior B, too?

B.Cooper
07-13-2011, 03:53 AM
I don't see that it is unreasonable to tell those who want a Senior B that they need to pay their own way -- I'm sure that there would be no shortage of skaters willing to do so. Perhaps the USFSA could provide travelships for financially needy skaters, but it isn't as if Thornhill is really tough or really expensive to get to. I can't imagine that the costs would be much different from going to Indy Pairs or Lake Placid Dance, and plenty of skaters manage that. (I'd still like to see them figure out a way to make both Indy and Lake Placid Senior B's, or add a Senior B component to each of them.)

How do we convince USFS/ SC to make a bigger push to get one or two Sr B events in the Americas?

halffull
07-13-2011, 04:03 AM
How do we convince USFS/ SC to make a bigger push to get one or two Sr B events in the Americas?

good question