PDA

View Full Version : 2011/12 ISU International Competition Schedule (Thornhill added as a Senior B)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

skatingfan04
05-18-2011, 09:24 PM
I wonder what this means for Thornhill. Will tickets now be sold like they are for a major international event, or will its still be a walk in type of competition? I've been going to Thornhill for years, and was lucky enough to see many great skaters there (Virtue & Moir, Moore-Towers & Moscovitch, Lawrence & Swiegers, Crone & Poirier, Ralph & Hill, Paul & Islam, Langlois & Hay, Andrei Rogozine, etc) but there certainly isnt much seating room for fans. I wonder if this change of status will scare some of the regulars away.

euterpe
05-18-2011, 09:49 PM
I got confused. Then how about Euro or Nordic Cup?

Euros is OK as long as there is also a 4CC.

Nordics has opened up the Senior Men and Ladies competition to competitors from non-Nordic federations. ISU points are awarded as long as there are enough competitors from other regions.

seabm7
05-18-2011, 09:58 PM
Euros is OK as long as there is also a 4CC.

Nordics has opened up the Senior Men and Ladies competition to competitors from non-Nordic federations. ISU points are awarded as long as there are enough competitors from other regions.

Thanks!

caro-ira
05-19-2011, 12:57 PM
An event in İstanbul! Magnificent!

kirkbiggestfan
05-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Actually, Scott and Tessa debuted their FD at Thornhill in Olympic year. Sometimes there are some teams that will get feedback on one of their programs. Maybe the idea is not to make this a Senior B for dance so that it remains open to other teams from around Canada who normally wouldn't go to a Senior B event. It's generally been quite a popular event.

Summer competitions for dancers in Canada are generally Minto, sometimes Lake Placid (it will have to be one or the other this year, I believe), and Thornhill. You might see more lower levels (Juvenile, Pre-Novice and Novice) at Summer Sizzle in Waterloo, and the odd Junior and/or Senior team. Monitoring is normally at either Minto or Lake Placid and Thornhill, and sometimes in Waterloo if there are enough teams registered.

In summer competitions, skaters sometimes just skate 1 SP or 1 LP to get it out there. If it`s a senior B, I doubt they will be allowed to do that, right? Maybe in a separate exhibition.

kppt
05-20-2011, 05:40 AM
Detroit is so close and has so many great ice dancers, but I doubt that the best ones would want to show their new programs around that time. Too early.

Some are said to be debuting programs at Skate Detroit which is even earlier. It does seem odd that Thornhill will not be an International Dance comp: it always has larger dance events when compared to pairs. I hope the dancers don't stay away: it will be great to see the new latin short dances:)

sammyf
05-20-2011, 06:18 AM
Some are said to be debuting programs at Skate Detroit which is even earlier. It does seem odd that Thornhill will not be an International Dance comp: it always has larger dance events when compared to pairs. I hope the dancers don't stay away: it will be great to see the new latin short dances:)

To get an international panel of judges is probably expensive. Pairs and singles can have the same ones, dance would need another. Maybe that's why?

triple_toe
05-20-2011, 07:06 AM
So what does this mean for Thornhill? Will it have regular entries and separate entries for the Senior B, like the NACS several years back? Or will everyone be allowed to enter as usual, with everyone judged by an international panel? Does this mean someone like Adriana Desanctis will be able to record an official ISU score by participating?

4rkidz
06-05-2011, 03:24 AM
So what does this mean for Thornhill? Will it have regular entries and separate entries for the Senior B, like the NACS several years back? Or will everyone be allowed to enter as usual, with everyone judged by an international panel? Does this mean someone like Adriana Desanctis will be able to record an official ISU score by participating?

I was told that it would be a separate competition within a competition.. so assume that means like the NACS used to be? Required as officials will have to be of a certain standard etc., and yes means that our top skaters can record an official ISU score by participating, however I think - but not sure that Skate Canada gets to enter the skaters as it is an international event? I'm sure the technical bulletin will be somewhere or out soon?

Andrey aka Pushkin
06-05-2011, 11:48 PM
I'm confirmed for Gdansk, Brasov, Paris, Moscow and Sheffield :D
Not sure it's updated on the ISU site yet :P

benfoldsrock
06-06-2011, 09:18 AM
I just skated for a week at the new ice rink in dongguan, china. It is in the south close to hong kong and shenzhen. The owner use to be hong kong fsc president and daughter is an ice dancer that used to train under marina and igor in detroit. It is a brand new olympic size rink that only open for 2 months. The chinese mens and 2 of the girl team is training there right now til mid june. Dongguan now is one of the largest cities in china and so glad they finally open an rink, it is in a mall and if you plan to go, there are no seating in the rink. I did a scratch spin and a group if kids started following me around. . .

oubik
06-06-2011, 02:04 PM
I'm confirmed for Gdansk, Brasov, Paris, Moscow and Sheffield :D
Not sure it's updated on the ISU site yet :P

And will you skate singles or pairs with Tan6ka? Or have you split with het and switched to one of Metullas Zambonis who nearly bet you in last happened Israeli nationals? If yes, then welcome to the offseason splitsville (and poor Tan6ka).

kppt
06-09-2011, 05:15 AM
I was told that it would be a separate competition within a competition.. so assume that means like the NACS used to be? Required as officials will have to be of a certain standard etc., and yes means that our top skaters can record an official ISU score by participating, however I think - but not sure that Skate Canada gets to enter the skaters as it is an international event? I'm sure the technical bulletin will be somewhere or out soon?

Yes, this is exactly how it will work. My understanding is that it will need to be an international level panel, made up of such judges from Canada and the US (as well as Tech Panel). The remainder of the competition, including separate (non-International) senior singles events will be judged by the usual smattering of officials qualified at various levels.

I also understand that the Pairs listing was incorrect, and that the international will just be Senior Ladies and Senior Men. Nonetheless, it will be a great opportunity for up and coming North American skaters to gain some ISU points. It should be interesting.

Sylvia
06-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Summer Skate 2011 in Thornhill (Senior B for Senior Ladies & Men) is now listed as CANCELLED on the ISU calendar. :(

JJH
06-28-2011, 05:48 PM
What!?!?! Why!?!?!?