PDA

View Full Version : CNN Anchor Don Lemon Comes out of the Closet in Revealing new Memoir

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Latte
05-20-2011, 11:01 PM
Don't know anything about the site - I was just looking for a photo of Anderson's older half-brothers for Latte. :D

Thank you.:cool:

Rex
05-21-2011, 12:34 AM
Yes, TJ is beautiful. And I think he is straight. I seem to remember them mentioning that he is getting married soon one night.

Well wait, I suppose it could be a same sex marriage.

Or maybe I dreamed it, who knows.:lol:

Nawww. He married his long-time gf in Atlanta last year.

Civic
05-21-2011, 12:53 AM
From his new book, Transparent (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/16/business/media/16anchor.html?_r=2)...And good for him for confronting the homophobia in our community. :respec:.
Yes, he deserves major props for that. One of the things that has long annoyed me about the African-American community is its narrow-mindedness. If you don't measure up to some arbitrary standard of 'blackness' you never hear the last of it. Then the same people who castigate you for not being "black enough" turn around and kvetch if you decide you need a break from black folks. It's like they won't accept you for who you are but they expect you to stick around and put up with their abuse. Grrr.

Rex
05-21-2011, 03:03 AM
Yes, he deserves major props for that. One of the things that has long annoyed me about the African-American community is its narrow-mindedness. If you don't measure up to some arbitrary standard of 'blackness' you never hear the last of it. Then the same people who castigate you for not being "black enough" turn around and kvetch if you decide you need a break from black folks. It's like they won't accept you for who you are but they expect you to stick around and put up with their abuse. Grrr.

Civic, I could not have put it better myself. Sometimes the persecuted become persecutors. I grew up with that most of my life and am free of it all now, thank God. In the end, someone's needs are NOT going to be met; be damned if they are mine....

duane
05-21-2011, 04:29 AM
Well, he doesn't really "confront" homophobia in the black community, but explains it. Even today, many don't consider a gay man to be a "real" man, and homophobia is rampant--more so in a community where, because of our history, machismo reigns, and the worst thing is to be considered "less than a man".

Now, I don't agree with Lemon's comment that the black community thinks that homosexuality can be "prayed away". I think for the most part, our community has forced itself to believe that homosexuality doesn't exist in the black community. Homosexuality in the black community is a topic rarely discussed--even in churches. One devastating effect of this denial is the statistic of black women being the highest rising group of those becoming infected with HIV (mostly thru their "DL" mates).

DickButtonFan
05-21-2011, 07:08 AM
I got a crush on TJ Holmes too but I also liked Don Lemon, guess I'll never have a chance :(

Rex
05-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Well, he doesn't really "confront" homophobia in the black community, but explains it. Even today, many don't consider a gay man to be a "real" man, and homophobia is rampant--more so in a community where, because of our history, machismo reigns, and the worst thing is to be considered "less than a man". Well, I think he DOES. YMMV.

Now, I don't agree with Lemon's comment that the black community thinks that homosexuality can be "prayed away". I think for the most part, our community has forced itself to believe that homosexuality doesn't exist in the black community. Homosexuality in the black community is a topic rarely discussed--even in churches. One devastating effect of this denial is the statistic of black women being the highest rising group of those becoming infected with HIV (mostly thru their "DL" mates). Some are of the mindset that it can be prayed away; I know some people in the Pentecostal and Baptist church believe this. And most are aware that it exists IMO, they just don't want it to.

skatesindreams
05-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Some are of the mindset that it can be prayed away; I know some people in the Pentecostal and Baptist church believe this

Further, some who believe this think that it's part of their responsibility as Christians to do so.
One more reason why I would never pressure anyone to reveal their preference or private life.

Rex
05-21-2011, 11:16 PM
Further, some who believe this think that it's part of their responsibility as Christians to do so.
One more reason why I would never pressure anyone to reveal their preference or private life.

You said it.
But I do think more prominent people in the public eye will. I'd like to see it start a trend. Kids today shouldn't have to go through what my generation did of hiding and feeling ashamed and alienated. Public figures who live as openly gay folk can set a good example I think.

skatesindreams
05-22-2011, 12:32 AM
Rex, I completely agree; and I hope/long for the day when one's preference is a non-issue.
I believe that it is a very personal decision.

Those who have decided, for whatever reason, to not be quite so "open" about their private lives should be respected, as well.