PDA

View Full Version : Vivat Rex, Vivat Regina!: The Royalty Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

skatingfan5
05-24-2011, 10:57 PM
Thanks, I love that dress. So elegant. Hate the gloves but I suppose she had to? And I agree, the bow is superfluous but not too bad. It's the gloves that bug me.She is so tall and has such long arms, that the gloves do appear a bit too much. I'm not sure if they were required, but if so, perhaps they could have been just a little bit shorter?

skatesindreams
05-24-2011, 10:58 PM
Thanks, I love that dress. So elegant. Hate the gloves but I suppose she had to? And I agree, the bow is superfluous but not too bad. It's the gloves that bug me.

In that circumstance, she probably "needed" to wear the gloves if she was going to wear a sleeveless dress.

I'm not sure if they were required, but if so, perhaps they could have been just a little bit shorter?

Evening Glove Information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evening_glove

IceAlisa
05-24-2011, 11:09 PM
In that circumstance, she probably "needed" to wear the gloves if she was going to wear a sleeveless dress.

I don't know. I think I saw women without gloves so I am not sure they are required. If not, she would have looked nicer without them.

skatingfan5
05-24-2011, 11:14 PM
Kate is elegant and sleek as always but what the hell is Michelle Obama wearing? :scream: It's so garish, like she ripped the upholstery off one of the sofas and made a skirt from it.Apparently, it was an homage to the Queen and England ... at least if you believe this article. (http://washingtonexaminer.com/news/nation/2011/05/michelle-obama-wears-white-tom-ford-gown-palace) Maybe it looked better in person. And anyone who would like to have Kate's dress better get in line. :lol:
The new Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton, wore a sand-colored dress by the British label Reiss. Her appearance sparked such a rush in demand for the above-the-knee sheath, with a retail price of $340, that the retailer's website traffic increased by more than 300 percent, resulting in several crashes throughout the day, according to the company.

The dress was sophisticated and chic, if not a bit understated, but the duchess put her own twist on the outfit with her black pointy-toe pumps and black satin clutch handbag by Anya Hindmarch. The bag was engraved with her initials.

skatesindreams
05-24-2011, 11:19 PM
The US Chief of Protocol may have advised the First Lady about what was expected or preferred attire for a formal dinner with Her Majesty the Queen.

IceAlisa
05-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Apparently, it was an homage to the Queen and England ... at least if you believe this article. (http://washingtonexaminer.com/news/nation/2011/05/michelle-obama-wears-white-tom-ford-gown-palace) Maybe it looked better in person. I didn't realize you have to match the Queen's furniture to honor her. :scream: Really unflattering, with that hot pink bolero on top, especially. Very provincial look.

I guess my penchant for understatement and sleek, clean lines is obvious. No wonder I was such a fan of Kwan's skating dresses late in her career.

And anyone who would like to have Kate's dress better get in line. :lol:

Sigh. Not in the cards for me.

rfisher
05-24-2011, 11:53 PM
Apparently Obama signed the guest book at Westminster Abbey May 24, 2008 :rofl:

milanessa
05-25-2011, 01:19 AM
Apparently Obama signed the guest book at Westminster Abbey May 24, 2008 :rofl:

They showed a close up on the news and it looked like he put too many zeros in it so just winged it. :lol: It looked like 2001 with the 1 changed into an eight. Poor guy - my first name has a double r in it and I've been known to make it 3 of them in a signature. :shuffle:

Fergus
05-25-2011, 01:39 AM
President Obama's toast. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG7VSt0_VcU)

Ok, so the end was a little, um, wonky. :slinkaway

But HMQ, bless her dear heart, just smiled and said something to the effect of "You are too kind" and life went on.

I agree that Camilla and Hillary both looked fabulous.

Anybody find a pic yet of Kristin Chenoweth or Helena Bonham Carter?

IceAlisa
05-25-2011, 02:54 AM
Do we REALLY want to see a picture of Helena Bonham Carter?

Fergus
05-25-2011, 02:59 AM
Do we REALLY want to see a picture of Helena Bonham Carter?

Oh I gotta see what HBC wore to dine with HMQ, for so many, many reasons..... :2faced: :lol:

AragornElessar
05-25-2011, 06:27 AM
Now for the important stuff...The tiaras. ;)

HM The Queen wore the Vladimiir Tiara w/the pearl drops instead of the emeralds.

Princess Anne, The Princess Royal wore the Greek Meander Tiara.

Sophie, Countess of Wessex wore her wedding tiara. (Darn it!!)

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall wore the Boucheron Honeycomb tiara. It's been rumoured Charles was left this in the Queen Mum's will, but don't know how true that is. It does suit her though IMO.

Don't know about the minor Royal Ladies as of yet.

edited to add...In some of the pictures I've seen, Camilla's wearing the Royal Family Order. This is the first time I've ever seen her w/it. Does anyone know when it was given or is this it's first appearance?

It would help if you all had a picture to look at to see what I'm talking about. From Getty Images. (http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/114589775/Getty-Images-News)

IceAlisa
05-25-2011, 08:01 AM
Darn it. I thought it was the Cambridge Lovers' Knot and not the Vladimir. I am confusing the Vladimir with the Kokoshnik. I am clearly failing tiaras.

After googling the Vladimir, I prefer it with emeralds.

AragornElessar
05-25-2011, 08:15 AM
As do I Alisa. I find the pearls tend to get lost among all those diamonds. I haven't seen HM wearing it w/the emeralds since the Golden Jubliee Cdn State Visit/Tour come to think of it.

Parsley Sage
05-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Darn it. I thought it was the Cambridge Lovers' Knot and not the Vladimir. I am confusing the Vladimir with the Kokoshnik. I am clearly failing tiaras.

After googling the Vladimir, I prefer it with emeralds.

I was watching one of the online clips of her speech and I thought it was the Cambridge Lovers' Knot as well at one point and this was after I had seen pictures that clearly showed it was the Vladimir.

You're doing better with tiaras than the expert the CBC had for their wedding coverage. As Kate was entering the Abbey, the expert was saying that Kate was wearing the Cambridge Lovers' Knot tiara and that it was a Spencer family tiara. :rolleyes: