PDA

View Full Version : Vivat Rex, Vivat Regina!: The Royalty Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68

AragornElessar
10-25-2011, 02:24 AM
Second try at posting this...

zimbo ~ Arrivals at 100th Anniversary Ball to Celebrate the Centennial of The American Scandinavian Foundation in NYC Saturday night (http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/_GVcBIiKE0-/American+Scandinavian+Foundation+Celebrates/HBsAPWeMO_y)

Crown Princess Mary does NOT look like someone who had Twins a few months ago. Wowsa!!

nerdycool
10-25-2011, 04:30 AM
Kinda. I've seen some pictures where she's at an odd angle and you can see all the lumps and bumps that come with childbearing. It's nice to know she's only human though. Princess Madeleine looked wonderful, too (although the zimbio site has her incorrectly identified as CP Victoria).

Civic
10-25-2011, 05:07 PM
...I love the nude hose, but I hate, hate nude shoes...
Not to mention that it is a hard look to pull off if you're black. The nude look for me entails a light brown shade. It has a different effect when paired with other colors than "nude" does.

AragornElessar
10-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Kinda. I've seen some pictures where she's at an odd angle and you can see all the lumps and bumps that come with childbearing. It's nice to know she's only human though. Princess Madeleine looked wonderful, too (although the zimbio site has her incorrectly identified as CP Victoria).

I know. Talk about a very embrassing boo boo.

Now I thought that outfit didn't do Madeleine any favours whatsoever. In fact, I thought it made her look about twenty pounds heavier than she actually is. Not a good thing, but then that's JMO.

edited to add...fabsugar.com ~ Scope Princess Mary's Dance Floor Dress, From All Angles! (http://www.fabsugar.com.au/Pictures-Princess-Mary-Prince-Frederick-Dance-Floor-Centennial-Ball-NYC-See-Her-Glam-Gown-from-All-Angles-20118042[/url)

They looked to be having a wonderful time. :)

PDilemma
10-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Next week, the Cambridges and the Crown Prince & Princess of Denmark will do a joint event for UNICEF:

http://www.unicef.org.uk/Latest/News/duke-duchess-cambridge-visit-unicef-denmark/

mkats
10-28-2011, 12:14 AM
Kate hosted her first solo engagement (http://www.inkinddirect.org/news/Duchess_of_Cambridge_attends_In_Kind_Direct_engage ment) today. I bet a few of the guests were more excited to have her than Prince Charles! (He was away attending the funeral of the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia.)

mag
10-28-2011, 01:01 AM
Good for Kate. She looks very happy and relaxed. I'm glad they are not overloading her with duties.

victoriajh
10-28-2011, 01:05 AM
Good for Kate. She looks very happy and relaxed. I'm glad they are not overloading her with duties.

Yeah cause she has SO many other things to do ..like..umm... Shop?

mag
10-28-2011, 01:42 AM
Yeah cause she has SO many other things to do ..like..umm... Shop?

That's not really the point. Firstly, Prince William is wealthy in his own right (he inherited a boatload from his mother) and is perfectly capable of supporting his wife without her working or help from the crown. If she wants to stay home in Wales, why shouldn't she? Secondly, I was really comparing the situation to Diana's when she was engaged and then married. They trotted her out like a show horse at every opportunity - often doing multiply engagements daily. She was in the newspapers and on magazine covers constantly - with all the usual nitpicking out her weight (too heavy, too skinny,) her clothes (stylish, old ladyish,) and her hair (too long, too short.) I really think it did a number on her mental health. Don't get me wrong, with Charles and Diana there was more than enough dysfunction to sink a dozen marriages even without the media attention, but I'm sure the added pressure and time apart didn't help. Being a royal is not a sprint, it is a marathon. Pacing is important to success.

ETA: By the way, have you ever hosted an event with a bunch a people you don't know and been required to make small talk over dinner without putting a foot wrong? I've done it without the media and cameras and it is darn difficult. Kate stepped in with short notice and did it solo. I say good for her!

PDilemma
10-28-2011, 02:18 AM
That's not really the point. Firstly, Prince William is wealthy in his own right (he inherited a boatload from his mother) and is perfectly capable of supporting his wife without her working or help from the crown. If she wants to stay home in Wales, why shouldn't she? Secondly, I was really comparing the situation to Diana's when she was engaged and then married. They trotted her out like a show horse at every opportunity - often doing multiply engagements daily. She was in the newspapers and on magazine covers constantly - with all the usual nitpicking out her weight (too heavy, too skinny,) her clothes (stylish, old ladyish,) and her hair (too long, too short.) I really think it did a number on her mental health. Don't get me wrong, with Charles and Diana there was more than enough dysfunction to sink a dozen marriages even without the media attention, but I'm sure the added pressure and time apart didn't help. Being a royal is not a sprint, it is a marathon. Pacing is important to success.

ETA: By the way, have you ever hosted an event with a bunch a people you don't know and been required to make small talk over dinner without putting a foot wrong? I've done it without the media and cameras and it is darn difficult. Kate stepped in with short notice and did it solo. I say good for her!

^This.

I read a story recently in which officials from Charles' offices basically said they want to let her take her time to learn the ropes before throwing her out to a ton of royal duties. They have been essentially tutoring her in all the etiquette and how things are done, too.

It also gives her and William time as a couple in this early stage of their marriage. Additionally, William does not yet have full royal duties while he serves in the military; it would be very strange for Kate (not born a royal) to have full time duties when he (the royal born one) does not. As I understand it, she will have full time duties when he also does. Plus he has an irregular work schedule. And, as someone married to a man with an irregular work schedule, I can tell you that it is hard to have quality time together because of that. So I'm sure it helps for her to not be busy with duties yet.

AragornElessar
10-28-2011, 05:22 AM
To the both of you, thank you for the excellent, well written and filled w/actual facts posts up there.

As has been said in many places, it's obvious William will *not* have what his Mother had to go through when it comes to Kate. They also have the space and time to be able to do that very thing as well.

Many people also forget Diana was the first Princess of Wales since the late Queen Mary and due to that, became the third highest lady in the UK seniority wise. The only two above her in rank were The Queen and The Queen Mum.

The people who ran "The Firm" at the time not only thought they'd gotten a gift w/how beautiful and popular Diana was, but they also finally had a Princess of Wales they could send to the really important events as well. Factor in the behind the scenes set up had never been updated in decades and also the fact William was a honeymoon baby and all of the stress a first time pregnancy can bring and...As mag said, little wonder Diana ended up w/problems coping w/Depression and her eating disorders.

You can't even begin to compare how Kate is being trained in how to handle being a Royal to what happened w/Diana. Diana was literally flung into the deep end of the pool and expected to instantly be able to swim. At least they're doing things the right way w/Kate and making sure she's comfortable and ready for when she and William take a far more active role as Working Royals.

I actually think we'll start seeing a bit more of Kate come either February or March. By that time, the research into the respective Charities she believes in and wants to become the Patron of will be known/decided upon and she'll have been in the Royal Fishbowl for a year and a little bit by then. Meaning, Kate will know what to expect for the most part when she does go out on an Engagement, *but* she'll also know what is expected by her as well.

That's JMO of course.

Now to go and take a look at that link up there. Thanks for it mkats!! :)

edited to add...I just thought of this...W/Remembrance Day/Veterans Day coming up fast, I have a hunch we just might see a fair bit of William and Kate during the next two weeks. William is Patron of a couple of Veterans organizations and come Remembrance Sunday in the UK, all of the Senior Royals will either be taking part in the Service at the Cenotaph or watching from the balconies of the Government building across from the Cenotaph. (No idea what building that is, only that it looks down on/is right across from the Cenotaph in London.) The only reason they would not attend, is if they were representing The Queen at a Service of Remembrance somewhere else. Such as William's flying visit to the Troops in Afghanistan last year.

Once again, just a hunch, but an educated one. :)

barbk
10-28-2011, 05:28 AM
I'd think that giving her space and time in this first year of marriage is all to the good, and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that his posting was intentionally made somewhat out-of-the-way in order to give them some physical space well away from London.

His family hasn't done the best on the marriage front, and simply doing what they've done before is probably not wise.

redonthehead
10-28-2011, 01:48 PM
I think that dress is my favorite she's worn so far. Kate is just gorgeous!

attyfan
10-28-2011, 02:05 PM
According to this, Britain is planning to change the rules governing succession by ending the preference for males. Also, the ban on marrying Catholics will end:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45073553/ns/world_news-europe/

IceAlisa
10-28-2011, 04:48 PM
That's great. This is both a good move in terms of doing what's right and a smart one, in terms of popularity.