PDA

View Full Version : Vivat Rex, Vivat Regina!: The Royalty Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

AragornElessar
08-30-2011, 08:13 AM
We could be. You never do know, right? :)

danceronice
08-30-2011, 02:42 PM
Are you sure? I didn't think I was, but through family treeing, I found one link... way back in the 1300's. Not recent, I know, but still exciting for me, mostly as a genealogist rather than a royalty fan.

Unless there's something REALLY wonky going on through the Polish-Lithuanians back when they were a world power, I would bet money I'm not related to them. (Unless of course my orphan great-grandfather and great-great aunt on Mom's side where we know nothing about them were actually abandoned by-blows of the Russian royal family or something. The words "possible but not plausible" spring to mind.)

Speaking of Russians, does anyone have a direct link to the picture of the Grand Duchess?

wustfan
08-30-2011, 03:03 PM
Speaking of Russians, does anyone have a direct link to the picture of the Grand Duchess?

The Grand Duchess and her son
http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-72153-8.html

Stefanie
08-30-2011, 03:58 PM
The Grand Duchess and her son
http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-72153-8.html

She looks like she belongs to that Red Hat Society. :P

danceronice
08-30-2011, 05:33 PM
She looks like she belongs to that Red Hat Society. :P

Lol, she does, only a very tiffed-out version of it!

AragornElessar
08-30-2011, 10:52 PM
Just getting caught up on all of the various to do's w/the Prince of Prussia's Wedding over at the Order of Splendour, when I decided to click on the link to Crown Princess Mary of Denmark's Week in Fashion. So glad I did. Not only is there a review of her outfits, but also adorable pictures of her and Fred together both w/and w/out the Twins. Including a kiss through Aquarium glass between the two.

Sigh... :)

Order of Splendour ~ Crown Princess Mary's Week in Review (http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/2011/08/week-in-review-crown-princess-mary-21.html)

nerdycool
08-31-2011, 04:48 PM
For this latest wedding, it was said that the bride would wear Crown Princess Cecilie's meander tiara (http://www.royal-magazin.de/german/preussen/maeander-tiara.htm) to the reception, instead of the one she wore for the wedding. And up till now, the lack of pictures of the bride at the reception had people doubting her wearing such a fabulous piece. But some kind soul has posted 2 pictures of her at the reception (http://members2.boardhost.com/royal-jewels/msg/1314793508.html) wearing the tiara, and I gotta say, I love it!

And if you scroll down a bit in that last link, you'll see the bride's sister, the Princess of Weid, wearing an impressive diadem and pretty amethyst necklace & earrings.

Rex
08-31-2011, 05:32 PM
Here's a dumb question from a non-royal fan:
Why did Princess Anne decide not to give her children titles?
Why didn't her then-husband get a title when he married her?
Are they still considered royals even without them?
Will they be able to give their children ("issue"-love that word) titles?

nerdycool
08-31-2011, 05:56 PM
Here's a dumb question from a non-royal fan:
Why did Princess Anne decide not to give her children titles?
Why didn't her then-husband get a title when he married her?
Are they still considered royals even without them?
Will they be able to give their children ("issue"-love that word) titles?Not a dumb question. It can get confusing, even for a royal watcher.

1. Princess Anne wanted her children to grow up being regular people, and having a title of any sort would hinder them in this pursuit.
2. Apparently the Queen offered Mark Phillips an earldom upon marriage, but the offer was politely refused... mostly because they didn't want their future children to have titles.
3. Princess Anne is a senior royal, her children are not. Even if Mark Phillips had accepted the earldom, Peter and Zara's titles would be Lord (or Viscount) & Lady, so still not royal. But make no mistake, they're still considered part of the royal family, and they make occasional appearances, even though none are official (ie, paid to make an appearance).
4. No, they will not be able to give their children titles.

Stefanie
08-31-2011, 06:15 PM
3. Princess Anne is a senior royal, her children are not. Even if Mark Phillips had accepted the earldom, Peter and Zara's titles would be Lord (or Viscount) & Lady, so still not royal. But make no mistake, they're still considered part of the royal family, and they make occasional appearances, even though none are official (ie, paid to make an appearance).
4. No, they will not be able to give their children titles.

But they're still considered to be in line to the throne, right? I remember hearing the reason why Autumn Kelly converted to the Church of England was so that Peter wouldn't have to give up his position to the throne.

nerdycool
08-31-2011, 06:28 PM
Yes, they're still in line, and Autumn Kelly did convert from Catholicism to keep Peter and any of their children in the line of succession. Peter is currently #11, his daughter Savannah is #12 and Zara is #13.

MLIS
08-31-2011, 06:29 PM
Yes, Peter and Zara, and their children, are in the line of succession. They're currently at #11 (Peter), #12 (Peter's daughter Savannah), and #13 (Zara). They're likely to get pushed further down as more of Peter and Zara's cousins (William, Harry, etc.) who are higher than them have children, but that's where they sit for the moment.

AragornElessar
09-02-2011, 08:56 PM
Speaking of Zara...

Daily Mail ~ Zara and a big hug for her 13-year-old half sister (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2032397/Zara-Phillips-big-hug-half-sister-Stephanie-13.html#ixzz1WgsEKFab)

AragornElessar
09-10-2011, 08:32 AM
Article on one of the largest exhibits of Royal manuscripts taking place at The British Library...

Telegraph ~ Medieval manuscripts shine a light on royal family (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/8720677/Medieval-manuscripts-shine-a-light-on-royal-family.html)

In more Royal Baby News...

TRH Prince Charles-Phillipe and Princess Diana (No, not making that up), The Duke and Duchess of Anjou are expecting their first child around the same time as the new additions to the Danish and Swedish Royal Families. He is one of the Pretenders to the French Throne.

Jenny
09-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Yep. Although at this point in history, you would be hard-pressed to find many who weren't related to the British royal family in some way. Even the Russians are related to them now (other than through the Prussian connection), which is something they were pretty good at avoiding when they were in power, keeping the connections to a minimum.

I don't have the data handy, but I did have the impression that the czars traditionally took European brides - from Austria, France etc. - so lots of mixed blood there.

I'm not related to them. :shuffle:

I am! I have a third cousin who is a Prince - he is descended of Queen Victoria, so is a 4th cousin of Prince Charles.

I don't know him though, and I'm pretty he doesn't live in a castle.