PDA

View Full Version : Vivat Rex, Vivat Regina!: The Royalty Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

PDilemma
07-21-2011, 02:52 PM
I haven't seen this posted yet. If this is true, it's not much of a surprise. And, I think a loosing battle Charles...

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2011/07/16/18430196.html

I read in one article that he was particularly unhappy because Will's tour received considerably more coverage than his most recent tour of Canada. Seems consistent with the reports that he was upset during his first tour with Diana when she received more attention than he did. Many were noticing the difference between Charles and Will when William appeared "delighted" by the attention Kate was receiving.

Charles needs to grow up and realize that William and Kate are good for the monarchy, not bad.

I do sort of feel for him, though, because he just doesn't seem to have the kind of extroverted personality people are drawn to and that is a difficulty in his role, and you can't change who you are. But you'd think he would've found ways to compensate for it after this many years.

danceronice
07-21-2011, 03:02 PM
I think Charles also has to deal with the rapidly-approaching record of being the longest wait for the throne. Plus the baggage of having been trashed for basically not being Mr. Personality while Diana went for the celebrity thing whole hog. He's got a lot of pressure and a 24-hour media, so I can't blame him for getting a little annoyed that he (heir to the throne) doesn't get as much positive coverage and is expected to jump through goofy hoops if he wants it. He's only human.

The Luxembourg Empire Tiara: That is not a tiara. That is a crown. That is a crown that would make many pageant girls weep with envy.

pollyanna
07-21-2011, 03:15 PM
I think Charles also has to deal with the rapidly-approaching record of being the longest wait for the throne.

Technically, he is already the longest-serving heir apparent in British history. According to Wikipedia,
Until 22 April 2011, Edward, Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII) had been the longest serving heir apparent, for a period of 59 years 74 days. However, Prince Edward became heir apparent on his birth, 4 years into his mother's (Queen Victoria) reign, whereas Prince Charles was three years old at his mother's ascension and thus has been heir apparent for all of Queen Elizabeth II's reign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_charles

So he has been waiting from 02/06/1952 until today, poor fellow.

PDilemma
07-21-2011, 03:27 PM
I Plus the baggage of having been trashed for basically not being Mr. Personality .

Close. Not quite. He is trashed for not being a charismatic extrovert who can turn on his personality for a crowd.

Introverts have personalities. We just don't reveal them to everyone.

Sorry...language that implies introverts do not have personalities is a pet peeve of mine having been labeled as having "no personality" more than once in my life. Everyone has one, the degree to which it is revealed to the public is the difference.

danceronice
07-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Close. Not quite. He is trashed for not being a charismatic extrovert who can turn on his personality for a crowd.

Introverts have personalities. We just don't reveal them to everyone.

Sorry...language that implies introverts do not have personalities is a pet peeve of mine having been labeled as having "no personality" more than once in my life. Everyone has one, the degree to which it is revealed to the public is the difference.

I did not say "no personality." I said "Mr. Personality." He's not a gladhanding attention whore. (Not saying William or Kate ARE, they just have the advantage of being young and pretty so even smiling looks more outgoing, though they actually don't strike me as aggressively extroverted, either. Not to mention they have the novelty factor as well, especially Kate.)

Also, Charles can be a bit odd if he gets going on things like organic farming and wind power, which I think makes people think he's a little daffy (and he might be, fair enough, but what's wrong with composting chicken manure? Or dicussing it?) He's just not all smiles and sunshine and sitting there patting people on the hand going "poor dear" and looking comfortable in photo ops with big-eyed waifs. Then there's the coming off badly against Diana's PR machine.

And he's not really the most attractive man in the world, but unlike most of us average-looks people, he doesn't really have the option of having a career where he's NOT in the public eye.

orientalplane
07-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Also, Charles can be a bit odd if he gets going on things like organic farming and wind power.

There's nothing odd about discussing organic farming and wind power.

manleywoman
07-21-2011, 07:34 PM
There's nothing odd about discussing organic farming and wind power.

Actually, this is where I think he's a real pioneer. He was discussing and advocating those things for years before anyone else was. I think it will be a very large positive part of his legacy.

AragornElessar
07-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Actually, this is where I think he's a real pioneer. He was discussing and advocating those things for years before anyone else was. I think it will be a very large positive part of his legacy.

ITA w/this. Also w/his views on preserving Buildings, as well as comparing designs of previous years w/designs of today. Many "modern" designs can be pretty ugly when compared to buildings of even 50 years ago. As you've said manleywoman, this along w/his views on enviromentlism and organic farming will be what forms his Legacy and he will be viewed as ahead of his time when History looks back on Charles' time as the PoW.

However, where he doesn't come across well is when he's out meeting the public. He's stuck in what I call the old Royal Family mold of doing things and he doesn't understand what's wrong w/that. It's not just being touchy feely, but Charles does come off as very "above it all" and sadly, I don't think he'll ever change. Which is sad for him, because he truly does believe his way is the right way, so it's understandable he's concerned the "Will and Kate" factor will overshadow him. In his way of thinking, it's overshadowing him.

The problem is, Charles needs to realize that showing a little humanity isn't just "the Modern way of doing things", but actually is the way to go to ensure the Monarchy survives. Regardless of what you think of Diana, she realized that the British Monarchy needed to catch up in how they related to their subjects. As long as Charles keeps doing, but more importantly, thinking his way is the right way, then he'll never get it.

The truly sad thing is that Charles is a genuinely engaging person when you see him up close and in person. However, there's always that invisible wall there that seems to pop up whenever Charles realizes he's about let that wall down and the real Charles let out for the World to see. If he'd just let go more often, then his Public Persona would shift and in turn...

I really hope he ends up seeing this for what it is. Not another attack at him, but a badly needed boost to interest in the Monarchy.

Sigh...My cousin's wife who was an English War Bride has always claimed the worst thing that happened to Charles was how badly the Queen Mum spoiled him and made him feel so entitled because he was the Heir. She was talking about the early years of the Queen's reign when Charles and Anne stayed so much w/Her Late Majesty. I never understood that when I was younger, but now...I think she may be on to something there.

Jenny
07-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Sigh...My cousin's wife who was an English War Bride has always claimed the worst thing that happened to Charles was how badly the Queen Mum spoiled him and made him feel so entitled because he was the Heir. She was talking about the early years of the Queen's reign when Charles and Anne stayed so much w/Her Late Majesty. I never understood that when I was younger, but now...I think she may be on to something there.

I'm no expert on the life of Charles, but this rings a little bell for me. I'm a big fan, from an entertainment perspective, of the period between the wars - when everything was changing in British society, and the class structure was breaking down. Naturally, the higher ranked and wealthier nobility could hang onto the old ways longer than others.

So, if you have a relic of another world having a major influence on someone who was essentially born with one foot in the past and carrying the weight of the English throne on his shoulders, it's not all surprising that he would seem out of touch with modern times. And further, that his much younger children would be such a contrast - they were born to a far different world than he was, and in the case of William, he does not carry nearly the responsibility as his time is likely decades away.

nerdycool
07-21-2011, 10:54 PM
I dunno, I kind of feel sorry for Charles. His time on the throne will probably be pretty short, what with the Queen still healthy and very active. And there is such hope with William that Charles probably feels he will be a forgotten King, sandwiched between his legendary mother, whose footsteps he can't possibly begin to follow, and William, the progeny of his much-loved glamorous ex-wife. It doesn't help that for as long as I can remember, people have been talking of passing Charles by for William, and for no good reason. If that's not a kick in the balls, I don't know what is.

Parsley Sage
07-22-2011, 01:44 AM
Great pictures of Kate's wedding dress which is on display at Buckingham Palace

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2017472/Kate-Middleton-wedding-gown-fell-love-goes-display.html

IceAlisa
07-22-2011, 01:49 AM
Glorious!

mag
07-22-2011, 04:00 AM
Question, the article says Kate is 5"10" which, with the 3" heels on her shoes would put her at about 6' give or take. When you see her next to William she is a good 3" shorter - is she really 5'10"? I would have put her at closer to 5'7" or 5'8" tops. Surely William is not 6'3"??

For those of us in North America, her size 5.5 shoes are probably close to a size 8 here.

nerdycool
07-22-2011, 04:21 AM
Question, the article says Kate is 5"10" which, with the 3" heels on her shoes would put her at about 6' give or take. When you see her next to William she is a good 3" shorter - is she really 5'10"? I would have put her at closer to 5'7" or 5'8" tops. Surely William is not 6'3"??I believe he is close to that, if not a bit taller. Compare this picture (http://what-celebrities-do-lately.popsugar.com/Prince-WilliamDavid-Beckham-Prince-Harry-8854218) with Harry and David Beckham. Beckham is listed at 6'0" on Wikipedia, although some other sites list him at 5'11". Either way, William is a good half a head taller than Beckham.

As for whether Kate is 5'10", I would trust that she is. She's not outstandingly that much shorter than William, and if he's that tall, well, 5'10" sounds about right.

AragornElessar
07-22-2011, 04:45 AM
Thanks for the link Parsley Sage!! Great to finally see the shoes. They're lovely and a perfect match to the dress. :)

mag, don't be so sure about William being under 6". I noticed he was towering over many of the Mounties during the Cdn Tour and they're usually 6" and a wee bit. So I don't have a problem believing Will's somewhere in the 6" region height wise. :)