PDA

View Full Version : Vivat Rex, Vivat Regina!: The Royalty Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Latte
07-16-2011, 12:20 AM
She has no parenting skills. She let Nannies and Tutors raise her children.
It seemed to be traditional in the royal family until Charles and Diana had their children.
Charles has often talked about how there was no affection in the family when he and his siblings were growing up.

Gazpacho
07-16-2011, 12:37 AM
She has no parenting skills. She let Nannies and Tutors raise her children.
It seemed to be traditional in the royal family until Charles and Diana had their children.
Charles has often talked about how there was no affection in the family when he and his siblings were growing up.When Charles was a child and the Queen returned from a long trip abroad, instead of hugging and kissing him, she shook his hand :yikes: No wonder he felt much closer to his nannies than his mother.

Philip wasn't much of a parent either.

mag
07-16-2011, 12:40 AM
...Edward made a good choice with Sophie, it is very well known that HMQ adores that particular daughter-in-law! :)

Edward and Sophie were together for years before they married. I believe she even spent weekends with him at Buckingham Palace before they were married. IMHO she really knew what she was getting into, and they had a strong relationship, long before she became part of the firm. Their courtship is very similar to William and Kate's. I remember reading somewhere that Diana was quite bitter about Sophie. I think because Sophie was given so much more support before her marriage. It sounded like Diana felt that because she had a baptism by fire so should all the other royal brides. It may have been snarky reporting, but given Diana's issues it isn't surprising she would feel that way. Taking the high road wasn't something either Charles or Diana appeared to be good at - at least they weren't ruining two marriages! I'm sure she would have changed her tune when it came to her own sons' wives.

AragornElessar
07-16-2011, 12:56 AM
When Charles was a child and the Queen returned from a long trip abroad, instead of hugging and kissing him, she shook his hand :yikes: No wonder he felt much closer to his nannies than his mother.

Philip wasn't much of a parent either.

This is NOT true and is nothing but a myth that's grown legs so long, many think that it is. It is true that when Charles saw his Mother for the first time in months due to that very long Tour, he began to bow and then extend his hand, but the Queen said, "Oh no, not you Darling." and swept him into her arms for a long hug.

Not only have I read this in several books, but I've also seen it in more than a few documentaries over the years.

Now, if you want to talk about what appeared to be a cold parenting style, see : Harper, Steven. Prime Minister of Canada. Children's first day of school of Father's Mandate in Office.

For those interested up here in Canada, Maclean's has a special Royal Tour edition which is basically to mark the Tour even happening and prep for it. Also on Newsstands right now is Hello Canada's coverage of the Tour w/a gorgeous picture of William and Kate from Canada Day on the cover.

Lanie
07-16-2011, 01:00 AM
Long story short, my grandparents met the Royal Family twice: once the 70s and once in the 80s. My grandfather commented on her surprising warmness and said Charles "is a horse's ass, and looks like one too" or something to that effect. :rofl: I wish I could get my dad's pictures.

Fergus
07-16-2011, 02:57 AM
This is NOT true and is nothing but a myth that's grown legs so long, many think that it is. It is true that when Charles saw his Mother for the first time in months due to that very long Tour, he began to bow and then extend his hand, but the Queen said, "Oh no, not you Darling." and swept him into her arms for a long hug.

Here's a clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfxA7L2p0mU) of Princess Elizabeth and The DoE's 1951 tour of North America.

At 3:29, they arrive at Euston Station and after greeting Queen Elizabeth, Princess Elizabeth does indeed bend down and give Baby Chuck a kiss on the forehead. :)

I'll hunt around to see if I can find a clip of them coming back from the post-Coronation Commonwealth tour.......

ETA: Bingo! This British Pathe newsreel clip (http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=38931) shows HMQ and The DoE returning to London on the HMY Britannia after the 1953/54 Commonwealth Tour. According to the narration, Charles and Anne joined the tour at Tobruk and sailed home to the UK with Mummy and Papa. :)

OMG, I do the DORKIEST things whilst my better-half works late on Friday nights! :lol: I need a hobby.......

ETA x 2: Just for poops & giggles, here is the 2009 Royal Collection exhibition (http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/microsites/queenandcommonwealth/) of various Commonwealth Tours. :)

Gazpacho
07-16-2011, 05:42 AM
Here's a clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfxA7L2p0mU) of Princess Elizabeth and The DoE's 1951 tour of North America.

At 3:29, they arrive at Euston Station and after greeting Queen Elizabeth, Princess Elizabeth does indeed bend down and give Baby Chuck a kiss on the forehead. :)Thanks for the video! So I guess she didn't shake his hand.

But I'm astonished about how non-affectionately she treats Charles in that video. It's not even a kiss on the forehead, it's a small pat on the back. The only part of her body that touches him is her hands. She's warmer toward the women before and after Charles. I mean, it's her son she hasn't seen in months, and all she can do is a quick pat on the back?!

AragornElessar
07-16-2011, 05:45 AM
And just what's wrong w/doing that Fergus? ;) :D

Sayeth she who once spent an entire afternoon at my Sister's w/her high speed connection looking up Royalty clips on YouTube. :D

Fergus
07-16-2011, 03:39 PM
But I'm astonished about how non-affectionately she treats Charles in that video. It's not even a kiss on the forehead, it's a small pat on the back. The only part of her body that touches him is her hands. She's warmer toward the women before and after Charles. I mean, it's her son she hasn't seen in months, and all she can do is a quick pat on the back?!

It does seem positively Victorian in it's aloofness!

I wonder: Were there courtiers at the time who actually experienced the Victorian age? Probably, Churchill would have been their contemporary. Would they have advised a "regal" greeting as opposed to a "maternal" greeting?

"Ma'am, the newsreel cameras will be filming for posterity. Keep it queenly!"

:lol:

PDilemma
07-16-2011, 04:38 PM
It does seem positively Victorian in it's aloofness!

I wonder: Were there courtiers at the time who actually experienced the Victorian age? Probably, Churchill would have been their contemporary. Would they have advised a "regal" greeting as opposed to a "maternal" greeting?

"Ma'am, the newsreel cameras will be filming for posterity. Keep it queenly!"

:lol:

I think that is exactly what was happening. I recall reading something long ago where Charles himself said that the children were always instructed to not run to her or hug her or those sorts of things in public. That iconic footage of Diana kneeling down holding her arms out for young William and Harry was truly a change for the monarchy. And thank God for it.

Gazpacho
07-16-2011, 06:46 PM
It does seem positively Victorian in it's aloofness!Only this was the 1950's, not the 1850's. I can't believe that when Diana rushed to hug her kids, it was such a ground breaker. That's what most mothers do! (Though not Diana's own mother :()

The Queen's kids have suffered much unhappiness, but Royal history is full of unhappiness. If you think Charles and his siblings are screwed up, take a look at the Queen's father (George VI) and his siblings :eek: The Queen's merely a product of the Royal institution.

Fergus
07-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Speaking of moms and kids, but on a happier note, I Googled pix of Stewart Parvin's gowns (HMQ and PAnne's fave couturier and the designer of Zara's wedding gown (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2013056/Zara-Phillips-royal-wedding-dress-Queens-favourite-couturier-Stewart-Parvin-chosen.html)) and the bridal collection is really quite lovely. :) I get the sense it will be something simple but extremely chic.

And the designer is sorta foxy too. :D

Gazpacho
07-16-2011, 06:59 PM
Speaking of moms and kids, but on a happier note, I Googled pix of Stewart Parvin's gowns (HMQ and PAnne's fave couturier and the designer of Zara's wedding gown (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2013056/Zara-Phillips-royal-wedding-dress-Queens-favourite-couturier-Stewart-Parvin-chosen.html)) and the bridal collection is really quite lovely. :) I get the sense it will be something simple but extremely chic.A McQueen would have been perfect for Zara's personality. And I mean a McQueen in the McQueen style, not Sarah Burton's dress that couldn't have been less McQueen-ish. It was disappointing because the day before the wedding when it was confirmed as Sarah Burton, I was expecting something totally groundbreaking rather than an inferior Grace Kelly wannabe.

Holley Calmes
07-16-2011, 07:17 PM
She was literally locked out of Westminster Abbey for King George IV's coronation when she came back to England to be crowned Queen. This was on George's orders. She died weeks later.

I have a book called "The Unruly Queen" by Flora Fraser (Antonia's daughter.) It's about Caroline, and it's very sad. Her death was probably natural,, but there were rumors of poison. She and George IV were both just not suited at all. When he first met her as she came from Germany, she repulsed him even though she was said to be pretty. This book suggests that she wasn't a very clean person, and she regularly smelled bad. George was given to extreme cleanness...it just didn't work. Good book though.

IceAlisa
07-16-2011, 07:27 PM
I am going to start Shanghai Girls by Lisa Yee. I have a bit of an obsession with Shanghai--that would be my destination of choice in China. The French Concession ( http://po-ru.com/photos/shanghai-2/IMG_1967.JPG) looks eerily like my hometown (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3264/2502241087_50ff6c8106.jpg) in the old country.

Anyone know anything about this book/author?