PDA

View Full Version : Vivat Rex, Vivat Regina!: The Royalty Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Icedancer
07-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Oh yeah, William was Duke of York and Edward, Duke of Kent. Get them confused.

And Victoria did have two younger male cousins that were born during the Baby Race but since her father was older than theirs she was William IV's heir. William did have a couple of legitimate heirs but they died as babies.

This is all fresh in my brain as I just read a book on the Six daughters of George III and the baby race is featured in the book. Princess Caroline's death was very unexpected as she had never been sick as a child so that's why all the uncles were just hanging out with their mistresses and having lots of babies that couldn't succeed to the throne as they thought the succession was set with Caroline.

Actually, I believe the princess was named Charlotte. Caroline was her mother's name. Apparently, George IV stayed with her just long enough to produce a child and then refused to go near her again!! :lol:

Skittl1321
07-13-2011, 08:58 PM
What wikipedia taught me today: members of the royal family can be commoners (the examples given were Princess Anne and Prince Harry, but I imagine many many more are) if they do not have a peerage title.

That's pretty strange.

Catherine M
07-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Actually, I believe the princess was named Charlotte. Caroline was her mother's name. Apparently, George IV stayed with her just long enough to produce a child and then refused to go near her again!! :lol:

Oh yeah, Caroline the mother, Charlotte the daughter. I'm at work and don't have my George III Daughters book handy. Now thats an interesting group of Royals!

Poor Caroline, she wasn't a very happy person and eventually ended up in Europe and never really was Queen.

algonquin
07-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Will and Kate are going 'under the radar' (http://www.thestar.com/blogs/article/1023197--royals-blog-will-and-kate-are-going-under-the-radar)

Scroll down a bit

“Hope you got your fill of William and Kate for a while because they don’t plan on peeking out from their Wales farmhouse very often for the rest of the year.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are going “under the radar,” said St. James’s Palace, so they can get used to life as just plain old newlyweds.

“Since they got married they were on honeymoon, in London for most of June for family events and other events and want to go back and have a married life together under the radar, and enjoy their life in Anglesey and keeping things chilled,” said a spokesman... The next time you can expect to see them stepping out is at the July 30 wedding of William’s cousin, Zara Phillips, to Mike Tindall in Edinburgh. Other than that event -- which is being treated as stricktly a private family affair -- there are no public engagements until the fall.

About their time in Canada,

At a reception in Los Angeles on the weekend, the Mail quoted Prince William in conversation with David Beckham regarding the couple’s nine days in Canada: “It’s been an amazing few days -– we’ve been so lucky with all the incredible places we’ve been able to see and we’ve met so many fascinating people. It’s been amazing, amazing.”

Jenny
07-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Here's my brush with Monanco's royalty:

When I was a kid, for years I babysat the children of Grace Kelly's nephew, Chris (the son of Grace's sister Elizabeth). Chris was Albert's best man at the wedding.

That's cool - thanks for sharing!

My own sort of brush with royalty - I have a third cousin who is a prince; we share the same great great grandparents. He's also descendant of Queen Victoria, so he's a fourth cousin of Prince Charles.

Never met him mind you, and I'm pretty sure he's one of those title-only royals spread all over Europe, but I still think it's fun.

Best part is it annoys my genealogy-obsessed MIL, whose family tree contains no one more exciting that the local schoolteacher. When I told her about it, she sniffed that it doesn't count if I don't have copies of all the birth and marriage certificates that prove not only that I'm related to him, but that he's related to Queen Victoria. :rollin:

PDilemma
07-13-2011, 10:38 PM
And Victoria did have two younger male cousins that were born during the Baby Race but since her father was older than theirs she was William IV's heir. William did have a couple of legitimate heirs but they died as babies.

I read a bio of Victoria maybe six years ago, so my memory is not sharp on this.

Wasn't there still an older brother or two of her father's trying for awhile? I seem to recall that no one thought the baby race over with her birth since she was a girl.

Fergus
07-13-2011, 11:12 PM
Whenever reading books about the reigns of George IV thru Victoria, I always feel bad for Queen Adelaide, William IV's consort. They always say she was a good lady and desperately wanted to be a mother, le sigh. :(

nerdycool
07-13-2011, 11:56 PM
Wasn't there still an older brother or two of her father's trying for awhile? I seem to recall that no one thought the baby race over with her birth since she was a girl.Heck, even Victoria's own parents considered Victoria only as proof of fertility, and that surely the next one would be a boy. Little did they know...

Edward, Duke of Kent had 3 older brothers, and of the 3, only one had a wife that wasn't estranged and besides, the other 2 wives were past child-bearing years anyway. The one older brother was King William IV (then Duke of Clarence) and his wife Adelaide. The first of their children, a daughter, was born a few months before Victoria in 1819, but the baby died the same day. Then there was a miscarriage later the same year, and in 1820, their second daughter was born. She lived only a few months. And then in 1822, she had stillborn twin boys. Had any of these children lived, they would have ranked ahead of Victoria in the line of succession.

mkats
07-14-2011, 12:42 AM
Oh yeah, Caroline the mother, Charlotte the daughter. I'm at work and don't have my George III Daughters book handy. Now thats an interesting group of Royals!

Poor Caroline, she wasn't a very happy person and eventually ended up in Europe and never really was Queen.

Yeah, IIRC her epitaph was "Here lies Caroline, the injured Queen of England" :(

nerdycool
07-14-2011, 12:52 AM
She was literally locked out of Westminster Abbey for King George IV's coronation when she came back to England to be crowned Queen. This was on George's orders. She died weeks later.

Twilight1
07-14-2011, 01:06 AM
Charlotte is the the one that the Duke of Devonshire was in love with wasn't she? He was the son of Georgiana Spencer (the famed Duchess of Devonshire). He never married and his title went to a cousin.

I haven't read much about the baby race. I am reading a book right now about the monarchy but am only at Edward IV... lol. I am about 400 years away...

nerdycool
07-14-2011, 03:49 AM
No, he was in love with Lady Caroline Lamb, ne Ponsonby. She had an affair with Lord Byron after her marriage fell apart, so that is why she is famous.

One of the things I find interesting about the whole Baby Race era, besides the race itself, is that Princess Charlotte's widower, Prince Leopold, was asked about 15 years later to become the new King of Belgium, and he accepted. The current Belgian royal family doesn't directly descend from him, but from his nephew, to whom the crown passed to after Leopold's only male heir died young. Females were barred from succession in Belgium until 1991. Now the first born inherits whether male or female.

centerstage01
07-15-2011, 11:41 PM
Vanity Fair article on Prince Andrew (http://www.vanityfair.com/society/features/2011/08/prince-andrew-201108)

An interesting article about the Queen's second (and reportedly favorite) son. Has third son Edward been rumored to be involved with anything hinky or has he, for the most part, kept his nose clean?

Gazpacho
07-16-2011, 12:04 AM
Has third son Edward been rumored to be involved with anything hinky or has he, for the most part, kept his nose clean?Nothing kinky that I've heard of, but his film crew (he owned an independent film company) was caught filming William at college without notifying either William or Charles. The Royal family had made William off-limits to the press on campus, but one of their own violated it!

They are a seriously dysfunctional family. The Queen gets many accolades for her public service, but her parenting skills are questionable.

Fergus
07-16-2011, 12:19 AM
The Queen gets many accolades for her public service, but her parenting skills are questionable.

I always found reports of her coolness toward being a mother surprising, since she shared a rather close and loving relationship with her parents and sister when she was Heiress Presumptive.

Perhaps marriage/motherhood followed a few short years later by the pressures of being Sovereign was just too overwhelming. I remember hearing an audio clip of her saying that her father passed away "far too young" and you can almost hear the tinge of bitterness mixed with sadness in her voice.

That, combined with lengthy Commonwealth tours away from Charles & Anne, probably didn't help develop a familial bond! She also went along with the conventions of the 1950s and deferred to her husband when it came to decisions about the family in a non-royal capacity. I respect Prince Philip, but, UGH, I don't think I would have liked him as a father!

However, she supposedly was much more comfortable with the demands of being the Sovereign by the time Andrew and Edward popped out. She developed a much closer relationship with them, Andrew being her particular favorite.

Edward made a good choice with Sophie, it is very well known that HMQ adores that particular daughter-in-law! :)