PDA

View Full Version : Vivat Rex, Vivat Regina!: The Royalty Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

floskate
07-11-2011, 09:01 AM
She's been amazing the whole time, hasn't put a foot wrong and has somehow managed to be the star of the show that everyone wanted her to be, but without upstaging her husband who has also had a cracking 10 days. That's quite a feat!! :respec: I'm sure HMQ will be thrilled with how this has all gone and William seemed so proud of her the whole time. She looked incredible at the BAFTA evening and really made a lot of those stars look rather ordinary and cheap looking. :glamor:

centerstage01
07-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Part of me wonders if the poor woman will collapse on the sofa when she gets home swearing to rest her facial muscles for a week from all the smiling for crowds. That and swearing off heels for the same amount of time.

Jenny
07-11-2011, 01:07 PM
She's been amazing the whole time, hasn't put a foot wrong and has somehow managed to be the star of the show that everyone wanted her to be, but without upstaging her husband who has also had a cracking 10 days. That's quite a feat!! :respec: I'm sure HMQ will be thrilled with how this has all gone and William seemed so proud of her the whole time. She looked incredible at the BAFTA evening and really made a lot of those stars look rather ordinary and cheap looking. :glamor:

Sigh, it's over. A good source of info on the whereabouts of British Royals is the British Monarchy FB page. You end up with notices in your news feed for all their appearances, and they add new images regularly.

mag
07-13-2011, 05:34 AM
Part of me wonders if the poor woman will collapse on the sofa when she gets home swearing to rest her facial muscles for a week from all the smiling for crowds. That and swearing off heels for the same amount of time.

I'm sure she will be happy for her quiet home in Wales!

victoriajh
07-13-2011, 06:05 AM
They might be married now, but the story isn't going to die anytime soon.

Separate rooms/hotel during honeymoon for Charlene & Albert (http://www.celebitchy.com/167496/prince_albert_charlene_are_staying_in_separate_hot el_rooms_in_separate_hotels/)

I'm going to have to starting taking this with a grain of salt until something official comes out. It just seems as though people are adding sensationalized tidbits to keep readers.

i saw this- i have ont really followed these two- are there any truths to it? or is it just way to keep them in the press? i guess if she has a baby that albert can finally call his heir he wont really need her anymore ( kinds liek diana)- i never really understood the fasination with albert- i think he is kinda creepy!!

Civic
07-13-2011, 06:24 AM
I'm wondering if she will wear one at all. She isn't titled and strictly speaking only titled people are suppose to wear one. Most of us wouldn't stick to a rule like that if we had the opportunity to wear all those diamonds, but it is possible Zara will.

Camilla's daughter, Laura Parker-Bowles wore a tiara at her wedding. She isn't titled. Of course, I don't know if said tiara was a priceless family heirloom or a cheap, rhinestone trinket.

Fergus
07-13-2011, 05:09 PM
I don't know if said tiara was a priceless family heirloom or a cheap, rhinestone trinket.

Would be sorta funny if it were the latter and came from Party Pieces! :lol:

nerdycool
07-13-2011, 06:53 PM
i saw this- i have ont really followed these two- are there any truths to it? or is it just way to keep them in the press? i guess if she has a baby that albert can finally call his heir he wont really need her anymore ( kinds liek diana)- i never really understood the fasination with albert- i think he is kinda creepy!!Apparently, it's been confirmed (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2014235/Prince-Albert-arranges-second-honeymoon-Princess-Charlene.html?ito=feeds-newsxml) by the palace that they did keep to separate hotels for at least one night. The reason being that Albert had a 7am meeting with the International Olympic Committee and he didn't want to be held up by traffic. Okay. But then why didn't Charlene stay with him? And the rumors pertaining to paternity testing for a 3rd illegitimate child are growing stronger, and is called the reason why their South African honeymoon was cut short. Apparently they're on a second secret honeymoon at the moment, out of view of the public. Video from GMA (http://abcnews.go.com/International/prince-albert-monaco-charlene-wittstock-slept-honeymoon-palace/story?id=14061328).

But although I never really got a creepy vibe from Albert, I do wonder about the fascination with him. To me, he'll always be a frat boy who never really grew up, and only when faced with a crisis, will he reluctantly do what's expected of him. In a way, it reminds me of the Royal Baby Race in England in the early 1800's. Only with less participants.

my little pony
07-13-2011, 06:56 PM
what's the Royal Baby Race?

Catherine M
07-13-2011, 07:22 PM
what's the Royal Baby Race?

George IV only had one legitimate heir, a daughter Caroline. She died around 20 years old giving birth. So all of George's younger single brothers had to rush off and find brides to try to produce an heir to the throne as George's wife was long estranged and pass the age of giving birth.

Edward,the Duke of York won the baby race. He got married to a young German princess who was a widow, she had the future Queen Victoria and the succession was saved.

manleywoman
07-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Here's my brush with Monanco's royalty:

When I was a kid, for years I babysat the children of Grace Kelly's nephew, Chris (the son of Grace's sister Elizabeth). Chris was Albert's best man at the wedding.

PDilemma
07-13-2011, 07:40 PM
George IV only had one legitimate heir, a daughter Caroline. She died around 20 years old giving birth. So all of George's younger single brothers had to rush off and find brides to try to produce an heir to the throne as George's wife was long estranged and pass the age of giving birth.

Edward,the Duke of York won the baby race. He got married to a young German princess who was a widow, she had the future Queen Victoria and the succession was saved.

They were younger. Not young. They were basically middle aged playboys enjoying being princes and sleeping around. Knowing that they would be taken care of financially by the crown (on a higher level than they currently were) if they fathered a suitable heir was probably the real motivation.

And the race didn't end with Victoria's birth as a male baby would have superceded her in the succession.

my little pony
07-13-2011, 07:41 PM
whole post

thanks!

on a similar topic, I just finished "becoming queen victoria" by kate williams for anyone interested in that topic, which is guess is almost everyone posting in the thread

danceronice
07-13-2011, 07:56 PM
And the race didn't end with Victoria's birth as a male baby would have superceded her in the succession.

George IV was succeeded by King William IV. He had no surviving legitimate children (but nine bastards) and was the oldest ever to become King (though presumably Charles is going to beat him out there.)

Victoria was William's neice (daughter of the Duke of Kent, not York) and was the granddaughter of George III. George IV and William IV were both her uncles and both thought to be unlikely to have legitimate heirs, so when George IV died she became heiress presumptive. The biggest worry William had was that he'd die before she turned 18 and her mother, the Duchess of Kent, would be regent. (He hung on just long enough.)

Catherine M
07-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Oh yeah, William was Duke of York and Edward, Duke of Kent. Get them confused.

And Victoria did have two younger male cousins that were born during the Baby Race but since her father was older than theirs she was William IV's heir. William did have a couple of legitimate heirs but they died as babies.

This is all fresh in my brain as I just read a book on the Six daughters of George III and the baby race is featured in the book. Princess Caroline's death was very unexpected as she had never been sick as a child so that's why all the uncles were just hanging out with their mistresses and having lots of babies that couldn't succeed to the throne as they thought the succession was set with Caroline.