PDA

View Full Version : Vivat Rex, Vivat Regina!: The Royalty Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Bailey_
07-02-2011, 02:51 AM
Not a fan of the purple dress or her hair up - this is a party, time to let your hair down...

But, considering that the programme and the performances are virtually the same the celebration this morning, I'm not sure how much fun they are really having. Seriously people - could we not have found a few new acts or at least, some different songs to perform. We can do better than this...

Did they leave early? It seemed to me that they were not there at the end of the show?

AragornElessar
07-02-2011, 03:21 AM
It wasn't the same concert and, as a Great Big Sea fan, I can tell you there's a huge difference between When I'm Up which was this afternoon's song they performed and the two they did tonight which were Ordinary Day and Consequence Free.

Just because there were a couple of acts from this afternoon's show doesn't mean it's the same Concert for crying out loud!!

MLIS
07-02-2011, 03:26 AM
Great Big Sea did different music, as did Sam Roberts Band (I think, although he gave the exact same introduction about the 100th anniversary of Parks Canada), but there were at least four or five acts that did the exact same song/performance as at the noon show. Even if they were the same performers, couldn't they do different songs? I've never seen the evening show be such a rehash of the noon show -- usually it's completely different, with different artists. I don't mind seeing GBS again, and at least they did different music (I guess they have enough hits to choose from!), but I did think it was a bit odd.

I don't think William and Kate were scheduled to stay for the whole thing -- I thought I read that they were going to a reception somewhere to watch the fireworks.

Bailey_
07-02-2011, 03:41 AM
I don't think William and Kate were scheduled to stay for the whole thing -- I thought I read that they were going to a reception somewhere to watch the fireworks.

That makes sense.

And, of course I realize that Great Big Sea did different songs. I am a huge fan and they were the highlight of the show. Furthermore, some of the other acts did different performances too but for goodness sake, Sam Roberts even read the same dialogue about the Parks. I was just commenting on the fact that I thought they could have come up with something a little different considering that the "guests of honour" (not to mention other television viewers and some on the hill) were going to be attending both shows.

Parsley Sage
07-02-2011, 04:10 AM
I love the fact that she recycled the dress - very modern and I'm sure, unheard of for Royalty.

Actually the Queen, Camilla, Princess Anne and Sophie often repeat their outfits. Many of the European royals on the continent do as well.

Princess Anne is famous for wearing clothes that are 30 years old.

my little pony
07-02-2011, 04:26 AM
love the maple leaf hat but Kate's Anya Hindmarch clutch is my coveted obet du jour

AragornElessar
07-02-2011, 05:41 AM
Keep in mind too that this Tour was put together in only four months. Which isn't *that* much time to prepare for something like this regarding Security Checks. It wouldn't shock me if the decision was made to keep the same line up for tonight's Concert due to the hassle that Security Checks for a different group of Performers would entail.

A Royal Visit usually is a year in the planning, so four months is a *very* amazing achievement.

edited to add...mlp and I posted at the same time, so...

love the maple leaf hat but Kate's Anya Hindmarch clutch is my coveted obet du jour

I loved it too. :)

Civic
07-02-2011, 06:15 AM
She did indeed!

She looked happy. :)

Or was silently screaming "HELP ME!". :yikes:

But Sainted Mother of Helen Rose, Princess Stephanie looks TERRIBLE! :wideeyes: Holy crap.

It looks more like a rock concert than a wedding in the photos.

victorskid
07-02-2011, 11:52 AM

According to a small article in the Ottawa Citizen before they arrived, they were scheduled to participate in the dedication of the new "Sovereign's Wall" at the Lester B. Pearson building on Sussex Drive. (That is the headquarters of our External Affairs department.) I believe that event was to be done on their way back to the Hill and then they were to return to watch the fireworks from the same location, presumably from the rooftop.

Having them stay on the Hill until the end would have been a "no go" - first, it's not the best place to see the fireworks; second, it would have been a security nightmare to try to get them out of the crowd safely and back through the crowds to Sussex Drive and on to Rideau Hall for the night.

Since there was an event (and probably a reception) involved, I can understand Kate going for a more "dressed up" look for the evening.

Norlite
07-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Got back from the Hill late last night. The day was fabulous, but exhausting and hot hot hot.

We got our spot on the lawn at 7am yesterday morning so had reading-all-facial expressions and lips close. :) Sooo much better than when we saw HM last year.

Poor William was feeling the heat on the dais, wiping away sweat from his brow often, loosening his tie a couple times but Kate looked as cool as a cucumber. She is remarkable.

Lovely day, lovely couple. Lots of pictures to upload after work today!

Fergus
07-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Poor William was feeling the heat on the dais, wiping away sweat from his brow often, loosening his tie a couple times but Kate looked as cool as a cucumber. She is remarkable.

Ugh, suits, especially in summer, SUCK. :lol:

Totally digging the purple from last night. :swoon: Love the hair up, thought maybe it should be a little smoother, but with that dress, if it were too smooth, she'd look like a Halston model at Studio 54 c. 1978.

She's the best thing that's happened to that family in ages.....and William knows it!

Lovely day, lovely couple. Lots of pictures to upload after work today!

Glad you enjoyed..............the rest of us are so jealous!!! ;)

AragornElessar
07-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Charlene wore a pants suit yesterday!?! (http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/117859342/Getty-Images-Entertainment?Language=en-US)

Hmmm....Not sure what I think of the outfit now. It looked far better when it looked like it was a "floaty" looking skirt IMO.

Parsley Sage
07-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Charlene wore a pants suit yesterday!?! (http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/117859342/Getty-Images-Entertainment?Language=en-US)

Hmmm....Not sure what I think of the outfit now. It looked far better when it looked like it was a "floaty" looking skirt IMO.

The colour was perfect for her though.

Fergus
07-02-2011, 03:22 PM
The Princely Wedding! (http://www.palais.mc/monaco/palais-princier/francais/mariage-princier/ceremonie-religieuse-retransmission-en-direct.2269.html) :cheer2:

And yes, there is a plethora of labia hats.

The Pretenders to the German and Italian thrones just came in, right after Karl Lagerfeld and Bernadette Chirac. ;)

Naomi Campbell!

Le Comte de Paris!

Fergus
07-02-2011, 03:32 PM
"Our Val" has bell peppers stuffed into her sleeves. :yikes:

Victoria of Sweden in a sparkly Juliet-cap.