PDA

View Full Version : Vivat Rex, Vivat Regina!: The Royalty Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Habs
06-30-2011, 08:22 PM
She seems to be surviving the onslaught of flowers and her dress is not wrinkled.:lol:

Success!

Catherine M
06-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Did they change the law so his nephew can? I seem to recall that it at least used to be the case the ruler of Monaco needed a direct heir.

Yes, Prince Rainier changed the law before he died making Caroline, then her eldest son Albert's heirs. Guess Papa was just making sure the line continued.

PDilemma
06-30-2011, 08:33 PM
The CBC guy persists in calling the Duchess "Kate Middleton". As does half of the American press.

Is it that hard to get it right?

Latte
06-30-2011, 08:46 PM
The royal wedding festivities kick-off today with the Eagles concert!

So will US viewers be able to see the Monaco Royal Wedding live?

Since Kate Middleton copied Grace Kelly's wedding gown...I wonder if Charleen Wittstock will copy Lady Di's?

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/entertainment/a/-/entertainment/9762630/monaco-royal-wedding-celebrations-kick-off/

To be honest, I thought Lady Diana's gown was just about the ugliest thing I had ever seen. Just being honest here.:lol:

Jenny
06-30-2011, 08:49 PM
The CBC guy persists in calling the Duchess "Kate Middleton". As does half of the American press.

Doesn't bug me that much - I think it's a sign of warmth and acceptance, plus it's easier for headlines etc.

It's not as if they're giving her a nickname she's never used herself.

PDilemma
06-30-2011, 08:57 PM
Doesn't bug me that much - I think it's a sign of warmth and acceptance, plus it's easier for headlines etc.

It's not as if they're giving her a nickname she's never used herself.

My objection may be related to my personal experience of my sister-in-law constantly greeting me in the loudest voice possible as "PDilemma Maiden Name". Which is not a sign of warmth and acceptance. It actually means "I do not acknowledge you as my brother's wife or a member of my family".

Habs
06-30-2011, 09:02 PM
Prince William speaking French = :swoon:

PDilemma
06-30-2011, 09:03 PM
Prince William speaking French = :swoon:

He's going to make a fine king when the time comes. He carries himself very well.

Jenny
06-30-2011, 09:14 PM
My objection may be related to my personal experience of my sister-in-law constantly greeting me in the loudest voice possible as "PDilemma Maiden Name". Which is not a sign of warmth and acceptance. It actually means "I do not acknowledge you as my brother's wife or a member of my family".

Ah, the beloved SIL! That I can understand. I also don't like it when people presume to call me anything other than the name I use, but as I said in this case, she was Kate up until her engagement, and I think it's a sign of acceptance.

PDilemma
06-30-2011, 09:16 PM
Ah, the beloved SIL! That I can understand. I also don't like it when people presume to call me anything other than the name I use, but as I said in this case, she was Kate up until her engagement, and I think it's a sign of acceptance.

I was also commenting more on the use of "Middleton" than Kate. The Kate doesn't bother me.

redonthehead
06-30-2011, 09:17 PM

That's a whole different story though. I've been married almost 21 yrs and my dad still uses my maiden name. He loves my husband so that's not the problem.

Personally though I still think of her as "Kate" and not Catherine. Just like I usually have to go back and correct myself before I post to make sure that I type William instead of "Wills". It's not disrepect or anything bad, it's just that's the way that we "know" them.

AragornElessar
06-30-2011, 09:20 PM

Seems like it and it's driving me nuts. She's not Kate Middleton anymore. That ended when she said "I will" two months ago!!

I've come dangerously close to pitching my skein of yarn I'm crocheting w/ at the TV screen a couple of times when I've heard that and the CBC *should* know better than that.

Had to get that off my chest. Okay then...

I'm so impressed w/how Kate's handled herself so far. She's done very, very well indeed so far. Loved the outfit and what a lovely thing to have a bouquet prepared for her to place beside William's wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I've never seen that before and I love it.

As for the other big news...

Daily Mail ~ Prince Albert's bride-to-be 'had passport confiscated by police at airport so she could be persuaded to stay' (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2009821/There-love-child-Prince-Alberts-lawyer-denies-father-white-black-baby-days-wedding.html)

This story is gaining speed and Warp Speed at that.

PDilemma
06-30-2011, 09:43 PM
That's a whole different story though. I've been married almost 21 yrs and my dad still uses my maiden name. He loves my husband so that's not the problem.

Personally though I still think of her as "Kate" and not Catherine. Just like I usually have to go back and correct myself before I post to make sure that I type William instead of "Wills". It's not disrepect or anything bad, it's just that's the way that we "know" them.

As Aragorn also points out, the issue isn't really anyone referring to her as "Kate" but the matter of using "Middleton" as if they are not actually married yet.

Frau Muller
06-30-2011, 09:45 PM
....Daily Mail ~ Prince Albert's bride-to-be 'had passport confiscated by police at airport so she could be persuaded to stay' (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2009821/There-love-child-Prince-Alberts-lawyer-denies-father-white-black-baby-days-wedding.html)

This story is gaining speed and Warp Speed at that.

I love it! It's time for a "Free Charlene Wittstock!' banner!
:mitchell:

nerdycool
06-30-2011, 10:01 PM
Daily Mail ~ Prince Albert's bride-to-be 'had passport confiscated by police at airport so she could be persuaded to stay' (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2009821/There-love-child-Prince-Alberts-lawyer-denies-father-white-black-baby-days-wedding.html)I love how the headline basically reads, "Passport confiscated because we're gonna force her to stay in Monaco and marry Albert."