PDA

View Full Version : Japanese skater/skating news & updates

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

seabm7
09-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Does the article state whether or not the Japanese skaters will be reassigned to other GP events?

The answer is "no". I translated the article into Korean using a Korean webservice and checked the content. It is a very short article. The first half of it is about some Japanese triathlon people canceling their trip to a competition in China due to safety concerns. The second part is like this:

The Head of JSF, Ms. Seiko Hashimoto, said that "the athletes cannot be sent under the current conditions" to the third GP series, Cup of China, at Shanghai at the beginning of November, suggesting pending of the trip. Asada Mao (Chukyo University), Miki Ando (Toyota Automobile), and Daiske Takahashi ( Kansai Graduate School) are scheduled to participate in Cup of China.

Basically, this is it. JSF is worried and monitoring the situation. It does not mean they canceled the participation yet. It is too early to say something definite. My guess is things will calm down in a few weeks.

l'etoile
09-18-2012, 04:43 PM
North East Asian region is becoming more and more like a minefield lately:(

FrouFrou
09-18-2012, 05:25 PM
The answer is "no". I translated the article into Korean using a Korean webservice and checked the content. It is a very short article. The first half of it is about some Japanese triathlon people canceling their trip to a competition in China due to safety concerns. The second part is like this:

The Head of JSF, Ms. Seiko Hashimoto, said that "the athletes cannot be sent under the current conditions" to the third GP series, Cup of China, at Shanghai at the beginning of November, suggesting pending of the trip. Asada Mao (Chukyo University), Miki Ando (Toyota Automobile), and Daiske Takahashi ( Kansai Graduate School) are scheduled to participate in Cup of China.

Basically, this is it. JSF is worried and monitoring the situation. It does not mean they canceled the participation yet. It is too early to say something definite. My guess is things will calm down in a few weeks.

Thanks. I just hope the skaters' safety won't be compromised and they get to compete in two events to have a chance at qualifying for the GPF, especially Mao. It's been so long since she was at the finals and I was bummed last season when she had to withdraw even though it was obviously for a more important reason than skating. Keep politics out of skating.

skatesindreams
09-18-2012, 05:40 PM
I hope the affected skaters competitive season won't be ruined by the turmoil.
Can the ISU make adjustments to the schedule/entries to facilitate that?

mikeko
09-18-2012, 05:42 PM
North East Asian region is becoming more and more like a minefield lately:(

China has territorial disputes with Philippines and Vietnam, too.

Mrs. P
09-18-2012, 05:56 PM
And OT for the record: Japan is also in a dispute (http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/national/2012/09/18/90/0301000000AEN20120918003000315F.HTML) with South Korea over what is known as the Dokdo Islands.

Back to the topic: I hope it works out and things calm down. I hate for these skaters to miss out on the GPF because of political events they have no direct role in.

Theatregirl1122
09-18-2012, 07:01 PM
Keep politics out of skating.

This most likely has a lot less to do with politics and a lot more to do with the actual, physical safety of their skaters. Hopefully things will calm down before November, but if the event were this weekend, the Japanese fed would be perfectly justified in feeling that their skaters would be in harms way if they went to China. Missing a GP event is not the end of the world and will not ruin their season. Hopefully they won't have to miss the event. But they'll be fine if they do.

FrouFrou
09-18-2012, 07:28 PM
This most likely has a lot less to do with politics and a lot more to do with the actual, physical safety of their skaters. Hopefully things will calm down before November, but if the event were this weekend, the Japanese fed would be perfectly justified in feeling that their skaters would be in harms way if they went to China. Missing a GP event is not the end of the world and will not ruin their season. Hopefully they won't have to miss the event. But they'll be fine if they do.

I'm actually not against the Japanese skating federation pulling the skaters out of competition in China if the Chinese demonstrators potentially are a threat- that's what I meant when I said I hope the skaters' safety won't be compromised. "Keep politics out of skating" was not the most conducive way, but my way of saying there is a time and place to air out whatever issues people have without resorting to violence against an individual simply because of their nationalities.

ioana
09-18-2012, 07:31 PM
This most likely has a lot less to do with politics and a lot more to do with the actual, physical safety of their skaters. Hopefully things will calm down before November, but if the event were this weekend, the Japanese fed would be perfectly justified in feeling that their skaters would be in harms way if they went to China.

Not to mention they'd need increased security measures if they were to go and the organizers might not be willing or able to afford that. I can easily see why the JSF isn't willing to spend their entire budget on heightened security for one event -that's not even Worlds or 4CC.

mikeko
09-19-2012, 02:02 PM
US ambassador to China surrounded by protesters, car damaged
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2012/09/us-ambassador-to-china-surrounded-by-protesters-car-damaged.html

Jeschke
09-27-2012, 01:57 PM
any news, who miki will coached by this season?

by the time there should have been a decision, and i canīt wait to know.

MikiAndoFan#1
09-27-2012, 02:05 PM
any news, who miki will coached by this season?

by the time there should have been a decision, and i canīt wait to know.

I read at Mao's fan forum that Miki will compete without a coach.

Jeschke
09-27-2012, 02:12 PM
I read at Mao's fan forum that Miki will compete without a coach.

thanks, thatīs what i suspected, but my dear, how can this go the right way? letīs see

inskate
09-27-2012, 07:46 PM
I read at Mao's fan forum that Miki will compete without a coach.thanks, thatīs what i suspected, but my dear, how can this go the right way? letīs see

To be more precise, the article mentioned that Miki will not have a coach "by her side during CoC." A bit earlier it was reported that she is working with Yuko Monna (who worked with Miki for 4 years when Miki was a young girl, she also helped Miki get her jumps stable during the off-season after Olympics 2006 and was her co-coach during the 2006-07 season). So it's possible that Miki still works with Yuko, but Yuko, being busy with her young students, can't follow Miki to the competitions outside of Japan.

I hope Miki does well. She looked pretty fit during the summer shows (and she was shown landing a great 3T-3T in one f the practice clips). :)

Hedwig
09-27-2012, 08:57 PM
I thought Miki withdrew from the whole GP? Or is that just a rumour at this point that she is going to withdraw?