PDA

View Full Version : Streep in 'Iron Lady': Can we just call the 2011 Oscar race decided already?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Beefcake
05-14-2011, 10:54 PM
Meryl Streep playing Margaret Thatcher, in a film being released in the fall. Easy math! ...

Streep + Streep accent + Streep Oscar drought+ British theme + Weinstein US promotion
= OSCAR WIN

Any other actress with serious Oscar-caliber work/expectations should, pronto, delay her film into early 2012, claiming "production delays" or some other b.s. Iron Lady distribution (www.thewrap.com/movies/column-post/weinstein-takes-us-rights-mery-streeps-iron-lady-27364)

BigB08822
05-14-2011, 11:44 PM
She will get beat out again by someone else. I would LOVE for her to win one more Oscar. She doesn't have enough considering the AMAZING roles she has done and been nominated for.

duane
05-14-2011, 11:52 PM
I would LOVE for her to win one more Oscar. She doesn't have enough considering the AMAZING roles she has done and been nominated for.
I totally agree. Very few actresses in history become the characters they are portraying the way Streep does.

millipied
05-14-2011, 11:55 PM
She will sit it out this year as it is looking to be very strong lineup for first time nominees this year. But probably win finally next year for August: Osage County.

victoriaheidi
05-15-2011, 12:01 AM
But probably win finally next year for August: Osage County.

Yeah, I think that'll be hard to beat!

soxxy
05-15-2011, 12:05 AM
Oh, Weinstein picked up the rights? That man campaigns hard for his actors. Colin Firth, Nicole Kidman.....Paltrow (?) all won, to name a few.

millipied
05-15-2011, 12:06 AM
Weinstein can do magic. But for every winner, they have 10 losses:) Anyway, August: Osage County is also their production.

Allen
05-15-2011, 12:40 AM
I can't wait to see both of these films. The thought of Streep in August: Osage County is just :swoon: to me. It was the best production of a play I've ever seen.

Louise
05-15-2011, 03:01 AM
Wouldn't it be the thirty year anniversary since her last Oscar if she wins for this? She is such an amazing actor I cringe when I think of some who have won in the last thirty years. (Helen Hunt, Gyneth Paltrow).

Allen
05-15-2011, 03:12 AM
Some of the Oscar nominations in the middle, I can kind of see why she didn't win. I mean, Music of the Heart, come on. However, I still think losing to Catherine Zeta Jones in 02 is crazy and don't even get me started on her losing to Sandra Bullock.

michiruwater
05-15-2011, 03:23 AM
CZJ was pretty effing awesome in Chicago though. By far the best thing in that movie.

Sandra Bullock, though... I'll never understand that decision. Especially when Streep was Julia Child.

duane
05-15-2011, 03:56 AM
1988 had a score of amazing, nominated performances (Glen Close for Dangerous Liaisons, Melanie Griffith for Working Girl, Sigourney Weaver for Gorillas in the Mist, and winner Jodie Foster for The Accused, but my pick would have been Streep for A Cry In the Dark. I SO love this movie and Streep's performance!

Vash01
05-15-2011, 06:47 AM
Streep has missed out on quite a few roles that were truly Oscar worthy. I hope some day the academy honors her with at least a third Oscar, and not the one for Lifetime Achievement (that too will come eventually).

BigB08822
05-15-2011, 06:57 AM
Not trying to hijack this thread but it fits with the theme.

I just watched Blue Valentine. It wasn't the most exciting movie I have ever seen but the acting was just phenomenal. I can't possibly see a way that these two will not win an Oscar at some point in their life if they want it. They have both been nominated (she twice, including for this, him once for Half Nelson) and are so young. I forgot I was watching a movie. Michelle Williams was especially strong.

BigB08822
05-15-2011, 09:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raybaccaAaU&feature=relmfu

I found this video of Cher winning the Oscar for Moonstruck in 1988. Look at the reaction of Meryl Streep who was also nominated. She was happier than Cher was! Paul Newman was smoking hot for a man his age! :grope: I guess I shouldn't be surprised when he looked like this in his prime:

http://www.styleofeye.com/images/paul-newman122.jpg