PDA

View Full Version : Streep in 'Iron Lady': Can we just call the 2011 Oscar race decided already?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14

olympic
11-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Is it really necessary for an actor to have perfect resemblance to the real life character being portrayed? It certainly helps but IMO there is much more to acting than that. If the actor is able to get inside the head of the real life person and convey the feelings, that is good acting, IMO. I have not seen the movie, so I don't know if MW has done that, but I read that she spent many hours trying to reach the mind/heart of MM.

I have to agree. I have only seen clips so perhaps seeing the entire movie in the correct context will change my mind but all I see is Michelle Williams dressed like Marilyn Monroe. I don't SEE Marilyn. The still shots are convincing but in motion it doesn't work for me. That doesn't mean her acting isn't phenomenal, it may be. Isn't Theron too tall, though?

I watched 'My Week with Marilyn' this weekend.

Michelle Williams does a marvelous job IMO - this is not a caricature by any means. It is a performance done subtlely. Michelle portrays a complicated, very insecure, lonely, coquetish, sexy, somehow gifted, and slightly manipulative woman all at once without any OTT moments. Without giving away too much, the film accurately portrays (from what I've read) a woman who couldn't show up on time to a movie set to save her life and drove film professionals absolutely (&()^#^^%& nuts! But somehow managed to charm (and seduce) everyone

There were some moments where I believed I was looking at Marilyn (usually during the use of shadows by the filmmakers), and there were other moments when I really didn't, but Michelle Williams never failed to deliver!

Two small cosmetic thing they didn't do that could be easily resolved - the filmmakers didn't seem to get Marilyn's eye color correct. I think both Michelle and Marilyn had blue eyes, but they didn't look right. Michelle does have smaller eyes than Marilyn and that could have been the issue. Secondly, Marilyn's breasts were legendary. :shuffle:. They didn't seem to give Michelle any extra padding except at the beginning, or do it in the right way at least.

But that was something small. It was fantastic. Just my $.02

orbitz
11-28-2011, 04:38 PM
William H Macy is a great actor, but I wouldn't want him to play Cary Grant!

And Macy would never, ever be cast as CG ... unless it was a CG film produced by, written by, and casted by Macy himself ;)

Beefcake
11-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Kirsten Dunst was surprisingly great in Melancholia. Was she nominated for Interview with a Vampire like 20 years ago?
No, she wuzrobbed by the Academy ... and that bubble-voiced Jennifer Tilly.

William H Macy is a great actor, but I wouldn't want him to play Cary Grant!
:rofl: I've been convinced that the movies will do what the movies want to do no matter what we think should be ...

... ever since Pierce Brosnan's "singing" :yikes: :scream: was left undubbed in Mamma Mia.

Cachoo
11-29-2011, 07:51 AM
THANK you! Marilyn Monroe was known to be one of the most generous stars to her fans--never denying requests for autographs and pictures. Unfortunately, many people used those pics as "proof" that they were best friends, or confidants, or secret lovers, or even a secret husband of MM (remember Robert Slatzer? Ugh!). The idea that this movie is "based on a true story" is laughable.

And Cachoo, my feelings haven't changed. I've watched many clips of the movie, and the only thing that bares resemblance to MM is the hair. Williams just doesn't have the looks, voice, body, or sex appeal to play MM. I happen to watch The Devil's Advocate yesterday, and think Charlize Theron would have been a much better choice for the role.

I can't argue that Charlize looks a lot more like Marilyn than Michelle. I think I'll have to watch the movie so I can judge more than the few clips I saw.

I wish the Oscars would not limit the nominations in best actor/actress categories to five. If say--seven actresses---more or less get the same number of nominations then let seven be nominated.

Vash01
11-29-2011, 07:41 PM
I wish the Oscars would not limit the nominations in best actor/actress categories to five. If say--seven actresses---more or less get the same number of nominations then let seven be nominated.

ITA. That should apply to 'supporting' categories too. There are too many great performances that don't make the 5.

soxxy
12-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Streep becomes American Vogue's oldest "cover girl" at the age of 62 for its January 2012 issue:

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2011/12/meryl-streep-covers-vogue-at-age-62/

Pretty....I like that they did not put her in a formal gown.

On another note, Thatcher's friends/colleagues are either happy or unhappy with the portrayal:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2073860/The-Iron-Lady-Friends-foes-Lady-Thatcher-verdict-Meryl-Streeps-portrayal.html

kylet3
12-15-2011, 02:25 AM
I think the 2012 Oscar race for Best Actress is coming down to Michelle Williams and Meryl Streep. I can't imagine anyone else winning. That being said if there is a spoiler I'd LOVE for it to be Glenn Close, the fact she doesn't have an Oscar is criminal. I saw My Week With Marilyn last weekend and I thought Michelle Williams was absolutely fantastic. She did a fabulous job of showing the world that Marilyn Monroe was a vulnerable, scared, lost little girl longing to be admired and loved. Having seen the full trailer for The Iron Lady, I think it's incredible, while obviously it has no chance of winning Best Picture, I think it stands a shot of getting a best picture nod. It will be interesting to see what's in the Golden Globe Nods tomorrow!

VIETgrlTerifa
12-15-2011, 04:56 AM
I think Viola Davis has the support as of right now. It helps that The Help is an easy-to-digest feel-good sort of story ala The Blind Side.

BigB08822
12-15-2011, 04:57 AM
I also think Viola Davis is the front runner but we will find out more as more awards and nominations are announced.

VIETgrlTerifa
12-15-2011, 05:03 AM
Right. I think the best predictor are guild awards, not critic groups. Look at the Social Network.

Vash01
12-15-2011, 05:35 PM
I think I may be in the wrong thread, but.......

The SAG awards have been very good predictors over the years, and in recent years the Globes have been even better predictors.

So the way I see it right now in the acting category-

1.Davis
2.Williams
3.Streep (she will be denied again, I think - until she is finally presented with a lifetime achievement award)

Beefcake
02-27-2012, 03:05 PM
Meryl Streep playing Margaret Thatcher, in a film being released in the fall. Easy math! ...

Streep + Streep accent + Streep Oscar drought+ British theme + Weinstein US promotion
= OSCAR WIN

Any other actress with serious Oscar-caliber work/expectations should, pronto, delay her film into early 2012, claiming "production delays" or some other b.s. Iron Lady distribution (www.thewrap.com/movies/column-post/weinstein-takes-us-rights-mery-streeps-iron-lady-27364)
The answer: "Yes!" :cheer:

Miss Williams should've taken my advice (that delay thing).

Anyways ... I'll be taking my victory lap, now. ;)

pollyanna
02-27-2012, 06:44 PM
The answer: "Yes!" :cheer:

Miss Williams should've taken my advice (that delay thing).

Anyways ... I'll be taking my victory lap, now. ;)
So then, who is gonna win Worlds this year? ;)

Beefcake
02-27-2012, 08:02 PM
So then, who is gonna win Worlds this year? ;)
Schpilband :P

sk9tingfan
02-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Interesting comment that Meryl made that she "knows that this is the last time that she will be up there accepting an award". It's almost as though she felt a bit guilty. I still love her and think that she's great!