PDA

View Full Version : Streep in 'Iron Lady': Can we just call the 2011 Oscar race decided already?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14

duane
11-27-2011, 12:28 AM
:lol: The flick itself is being reviewed pretty well, but some :rolleyes: its plotholes, starting with the alleged lover writing himself as a superhero. Probably all fiction, but she's not around to deny or disprove: A man claiming to have had an affair with MM (also my alltime movie idol, duane) / confidante / acting coach / cultural attache / all-around savior ... for a few days while she was married to Arthur Miller. Zero corroborating evidence to back his claim. :blah: Yay, more fiction being woven into real-life and presenting itself as historical.

THANK you! Marilyn Monroe was known to be one of the most generous stars to her fans--never denying requests for autographs and pictures. Unfortunately, many people used those pics as "proof" that they were best friends, or confidants, or secret lovers, or even a secret husband of MM (remember Robert Slatzer? Ugh!). The idea that this movie is "based on a true story" is laughable.

And Cachoo, my feelings haven't changed. I've watched many clips of the movie, and the only thing that bares resemblance to MM is the hair. Williams just doesn't have the looks, voice, body, or sex appeal to play MM. I happen to watch The Devil's Advocate yesterday, and think Charlize Theron would have been a much better choice for the role.

VIETgrlTerifa
11-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Let's not forget Charlize Theron in Young Adult. The movie is getting some buzz now and some are saying it's the best starring performance in a Jason Reitman film, including George Clooney in Up in the Air and Ellen Page in Juno.

olympic
11-27-2011, 03:45 PM
Just finished watching Sarah's Key and Kristin Scott Thomas was great but the girl who played young Sarah stole the show. I would nominate her for a supporting Oscar in a heart beat. Is there any buzz around her performance? The movie was INCREDIBLE, by the way.

The movie critics have basically stated what you have - Kristin Scott Thomas is great, Melusine Mayance is awesome! I really hope she gets a nomination!

allezfred
11-27-2011, 04:14 PM
I am afraid you may be right. Once again, Streep may be denied the Oscar. There is always a younger actress. It's criminal that she has just two Oscars, and one of them is for a supporting role.

Won't someone think of Meryl? :drama:

orbitz
11-27-2011, 05:14 PM
I think Glenn Close has a better chance of winning than Williams. Close has been nominated 5 times already. Michelle has gotten good notices for playing Marilyn, but the role hasn't been receiving knock-out accolades across the board.

I haven't been impressed with the utube clips that I've seen of Iron Lady. There's something odd about the way Meryl is portraying Thacher, but maybe that was the way she really was in public.

skatesindreams
11-27-2011, 05:45 PM
THANK you! Marilyn Monroe was known to be one of the most generous stars to her fans--never denying requests for autographs and pictures. Unfortunately, many people used those pics as "proof" that they were best friends, or confidants, or secret lovers, or even a secret husband of MM (remember Robert Slatzer? Ugh!). The idea that this movie is "based on a true story" is laughable.

And Cachoo, my feelings haven't changed. I've watched many clips of the movie, and the only thing that bares resemblance to MM is the hair. Williams just doesn't have the looks, voice, body, or sex appeal to play MM. I happen to watch The Devil's Advocate yesterday, and think Charlize Theron would have been a much better choice for the role.

Entire post:

:respec: and agree.

olympic
11-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Keira Knightly is getting some press for playing Sabina in ' A Dangerous Method '. I saw a clip on CNN and the critic gave it some accolades. She plays a disturbed woman subject to psych treatment by Dr. Sigmund Freud and Dr. Mathias Jung. Academy Award Nominations are made of this stuff.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/a_dangerous_method/

BigB08822
11-27-2011, 07:45 PM

I have to agree. I have only seen clips so perhaps seeing the entire movie in the correct context will change my mind but all I see is Michelle Williams dressed like Marilyn Monroe. I don't SEE Marilyn. The still shots are convincing but in motion it doesn't work for me. That doesn't mean her acting isn't phenomenal, it may be. Isn't Theron too tall, though?

orbitz
11-27-2011, 07:53 PM
I have to agree. I have only seen clips so perhaps seeing the entire movie in the correct context will change my mind but all I see is Michelle Williams dressed like Marilyn Monroe. I don't SEE Marilyn.

But that applies to any actors portraying a real person. Meryl Streep as Margaret Thatcher still has the facial features of Meryl Streep. Leonardo as Hoover still looks like Leo. It's unrealistic to expect an actor to 100% physically look like the real person he's portraying. It's not possible unless CGI is heavily involved. You'll have to see the actor's work in the film to determine if the essence of the real person was captured or not.

BigB08822
11-27-2011, 10:00 PM
But that applies to any actors portraying a real person. Meryl Streep as Margaret Thatcher still has the facial features of Meryl Streep. Leonardo as Hoover still looks like Leo. It's unrealistic to expect an actor to 100% physically look like the real person he's portraying. It's not possible unless CGI is heavily involved. You'll have to see the actor's work in the film to determine if the essence of the real person was captured or not.

You are missing my point entirely and being much too literal. I won't even try to explain what I mean because I don't know if I can. I am sure someone else gets what I am saying.

emason
11-27-2011, 10:03 PM
You are missing my point entirely and being much too literal. I won't even try to explain what I mean because I don't know if I can. I am sure someone else gets what I am saying.

I get exactly what you mean. I didn't get all the raving about Frank Langella in Frost/Nixon; I never saw Nixon, just Langella making a hell of an attempt at being Nixon. For me he never became Nixon.

soxxy
11-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Streep, along with Yo Yo Ma, Barbara Cook, Neil Diamond and Sonny Rollins, will receive the Kennedy Center Honors next Sunday. I don't know how much, if any, this will affect voters for the various year-end awards, but it's a show I enjoy watching every year and gets a lot of buzz. I don't know which "luminaries" have been chosen to honor Streep.

The show airs December 27.

http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/specialevents/honors/

ETA: I think Viola Davis will be giving Streep competition.

Rex
11-27-2011, 10:56 PM
I've heard a lot of good things about Glenn Close in Albert Nobbs. She has been robbed so many times, I'd like to see her get it.

Vash01
11-27-2011, 11:38 PM

Is it really necessary for an actor to have perfect resemblance to the real life character being portrayed? It certainly helps but IMO there is much more to acting than that. If the actor is able to get inside the head of the real life person and convey the feelings, that is good acting, IMO. I have not seen the movie, so I don't know if MW has done that, but I read that she spent many hours trying to reach the mind/heart of MM.

duane
11-28-2011, 03:30 PM
William H Macy is a great actor, but I wouldn't want him to play Cary Grant!