PDA

View Full Version : Streep in 'Iron Lady': Can we just call the 2011 Oscar race decided already?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

VIETgrlTerifa
11-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Yes, that's it! Thanks, VIETgrl. I knew it was Music-something or the other. Gawd, what an awful title - I'd have avoided watching the film based on the title alone if I hadn't known that Streep was playing the lead role.

I've seen a clip of Close in Albert Nobbs, and she did indeed look impressive if only in that short scene. I've always found her a tad mannish so perhaps playing the role isn't that much of a stretch for Close. :P I've never been ape over Close because she gives off a bitchy vibe, but she's given some good performances and is long overdue, so I won't complain if she wins the BA Oscar.

Didn't I read something about Streep wanting to tear Madonna's throat out if Madge got to play Evita? It's a pity that the first scenario didn't pan out and a pity that the second one did. :lol:

Meryl Streep denies it, :lol:.

http://nybloger.com/2008/07/17/meryl-streep-denies-madonna-evita-feud/

Who knows what the truth is. Evita was a much coveted role in the 80s-90s. Name a actress, and I bet they all wanted or were considered for the role of Eva Peron.

That said, I actually read somewhere (don't remember where) that Meryl was actually glowing about Madonna's performance in Evita after she saw the film. I thought Madonna was really good in it (yeah her singing wasn't Patti Lupone, but it worked for the film), but that's to be expected since it was one big music video. I also don't believe Meryl is a better singer (or much better singer) than Madonna. That said, I still can't believe Madonna won the Golden Globe for it over Frances McDormand in Fargo.

Vash01
11-07-2011, 05:21 PM
I really want to see Streep win her 3rd Oscar. It's been long overdue. She keeps giving top performances, only to see the Oscar going to someone else-occasionally to an undeserved performance.

However, last night I saw the trailer of the movie about Marilyn Monroe, and Michelle Williams looks very convincing. I also read an article about that movie, about how Michelle prepared for the role and went to the soul of Marilyn and the characters she played.

I am afraid the Oscar will once again go to the younger star who has not yet won an Oscar. Streep will be denied again.

orbitz
11-07-2011, 06:11 PM
It's too early for Oscar talk for Streep when most people haven't seen the film yet. Remember that this film is directed by the same woman who butchered Mama Mia. It certainly doesn't give me confident that the Thatcher movie itself will be well directed. I'm not sure why Streep decided to go with this director, other than maybe working with this director gave Streep more control over the actual filming process.

Kristen Dunst has been getting rave reviews for Melancholia. I've always liked her, so don't be surprised if she sneaks in ;)

OliviaPug
11-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Streep is an acting tour de force. She's bigger than the Oscar, IMHO. Looking forward to seeing Streep as Thatcher.

O-

soxxy
11-15-2011, 09:24 PM
The British press has begun printing reviews of the film. They're mixed to positive, but Streep is getting raves all-around:

http://www.periscopepost.com/2011/11/the-iron-lady-meryl-streep-wins-rave-reviews-film-itself-mixed/

olympic
11-15-2011, 09:31 PM
I think the early buzz is around Streep, Close, and Williams, but don't forget Kristin Scott-Thomas in 'Sarah's Key'

duane
11-16-2011, 04:31 AM
However, last night I saw the trailer of the movie about Marilyn Monroe, and Michelle Williams looks very convincing.UGH!! Michelle Williams is attractive, but playing my all-time idol MARILYN MONROE--the most gorgeous woman to ever appear on the silver screen????? GAG me with TWO spoons!!!

Alright, I'm ok now. ;)

AxelAnnie
11-16-2011, 05:05 AM
I totally agree. Very few actresses in history become the characters they are portraying the way Streep does.

This may be true.....but I suspect Glenn Close is going to give her a run for her money.

BigB08822
11-24-2011, 06:09 AM
I think the early buzz is around Streep, Close, and Williams, but don't forget Kristin Scott-Thomas in 'Sarah's Key'

Just finished watching Sarah's Key and Kristin Scott Thomas was great but the girl who played young Sarah stole the show. I would nominate her for a supporting Oscar in a heart beat. Is there any buzz around her performance? The movie was INCREDIBLE, by the way.

Beefcake
11-26-2011, 06:41 PM
UGH!! Michelle Williams is attractive, but playing my all-time idol MARILYN MONROE--the most gorgeous woman to ever appear on the silver screen????? GAG me with TWO spoons!!!

Alright, I'm ok now. ;)
:lol: She is one of the most mundane looking actresses we've got (well, she's got that in common with Meryl already!).

Reviews of the movie give her props, but I don't sense a Sandra Bullock/Blind Side type momentum build coming. The flick itself is being reviewed pretty well, but some :rolleyes: its plotholes, starting with the alleged lover writing himself as a superhero. Probably all fiction, but she's not around to deny or disprove: A man claiming to have had an affair with MM (also my alltime movie idol, duane) / confidante / acting coach / cultural attache / all-around savior ... for a few days while she was married to Arthur Miller. Zero corroborating evidence to back his claim. :blah: Yay, more fiction being woven into real-life and presenting itself as historical.

Otherwise ...

Judi Dench has a small role. = Oscar nomination, just because, right? :yawn:

Dougray Scott, even in his Millerfied state = :grope:

Cachoo
11-26-2011, 09:40 PM
UGH!! Michelle Williams is attractive, but playing my all-time idol MARILYN MONROE--the most gorgeous woman to ever appear on the silver screen????? GAG me with TWO spoons!!!

Alright, I'm ok now. ;)

My thoughts exactly until I was flipping around the other night and saw Marilyn dancing and thought--what is this doing on PBS? Well it was Michelle as Marilyn and the clip was airing on Charlie Rose. I have to say I was flabbergasted because I thought it was Marilyn. The way Michelle looks now makes me think of a late 60's Mia Farrow. But somehow Michelle had captured Marilyn in all of her voluptuousness--and the unique way she moved. I think the Oscar race will be interesting thinking about Thatcher, Nobbs and Monroe.

Beefcake
11-26-2011, 10:05 PM
And we'll have Billy Crystal to roll it all :rofl: together during the Oscar ceremony

:kickass:

Louise
11-27-2011, 12:16 AM
Kirsten Dunst was surprisingly great in Melancholia. Was she nominated for Interview with a Vampire like 20 years ago?

Viola Davis for The Help. She was heartbreaking in Doubt and I was sure she'd win.

Meryl Streep. The reviews I've read are worrisome. I so want her to win, and isn't this year the 30th anniversary of her only Best Actress Oscar? Right now the vibe I'm getting is your typical "Meryl is wonderful as per usual" but not the over the top, momentum building type.

Glenn Close has gotten alot of buzz, but I have no clue where it is being shown. It should be good for a nomination, but to win?

Michelle Williams. I've felt the 'buzz' about her performance ever since she started filming. I would not be surprised if she wins this time.

Those are who I am guessing get nominated. With Williams the winner. Meryl Streep at least knows that her work goes beyond the Oscars. She is the preeminent actress of her generation and maybe of all time. A win would be well deserved, but her legacy is on film forever.

my little pony
11-27-2011, 12:19 AM
i think streep is bigger than her oscar count. but at least she has one. it is very upsetting that people like barbara stanwyck had so many great roles and had to wait for the honorary oscar.

Vash01
11-27-2011, 12:24 AM
Kirsten Dunst was surprisingly great in Melancholia. Was she nominated for Interview with a Vampire like 20 years ago?

Viola Davis for The Help. She was heartbreaking in Doubt and I was sure she'd win.

Meryl Streep. The reviews I've read are worrisome. I so want her to win, and isn't this year the 30th anniversary of her only Best Actress Oscar? Right now the vibe I'm getting is your typical "Meryl is wonderful as per usual" but not the over the top, momentum building type.

Glenn Close has gotten alot of buzz, but I have no clue where it is being shown. It should be good for a nomination, but to win?

Michelle Williams. I've felt the 'buzz' about her performance ever since she started filming. I would not be surprised if she wins this time.

Those are who I am guessing get nominated. With Williams the winner. Meryl Streep at least knows that her work goes beyond the Oscars. She is the preeminent actress of her generation and maybe of all time. A win would be well deserved, but her legacy is on film forever.

I am afraid you may be right. Once again, Streep may be denied the Oscar. There is always a younger actress. It's criminal that she has just two Oscars, and one of them is for a supporting role.