PDA

View Full Version : Streep in 'Iron Lady': Can we just call the 2011 Oscar race decided already?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

VALuvsMKwan
05-17-2011, 01:53 AM
Streep doesn't miss the mark.

:P

I think Japanfan inadvertently left out a "might" or "could" in her post.

Meryl hasn't missed lately, I'll grant you, but she is only human (and, to her credit, would probably be one of the first to say so).

I couldn't stand watching her early in her career with all the accents and the serious drama, but the sheer range and volume of her work is amazing, and it has been interesting for me to observe over the years that she really doesn't take herself as a person all that seriously (or else she's even a more brilliant actress in public than in her roles).

BigB08822
05-17-2011, 02:06 AM
I think my favorite Streep role was in Adaptation. She was just incredible and that is one of my favorite movies. I could watch it so many times and always notice something new. It is also nice because Streep plays a completely different character than you would imagine.

Japanfan
05-17-2011, 06:37 AM
I loved her in the HBO series starring Al Pacino, I can't remember the name of the show but she played a Mormon mom.

I also loved her in Bridges of Madison County, despite the fact that the accent wasn't quite right - or so say some who know Italian.

escaflowne9282
05-17-2011, 06:40 AM
Streep doesn't miss the mark.

:P

Unless you're watching Out of Africa, cuz that movie just plain sucks. :P

I loved her in Kramer v. Kramer though

BigB08822
05-17-2011, 07:28 AM
I loved her in the HBO series starring Al Pacino, I can't remember the name of the show but she played a Mormon mom.

Angels in America. One of the most amazing mini series ever.

Ajax
05-17-2011, 05:10 PM
She will sit it out this year as it is looking to be very strong lineup for first time nominees this year.

Such as who?

Would love for Streep to get another Oscar. She was robbed for Julie/Julia.

BigB08822
05-17-2011, 05:56 PM
First time nominees are always at a disadvantage. Especially if said nominees are young. The voters tend to have the mentality that they have plenty of time to win. The only exception I could think of is if older, previous winners have dominated recently but that has not been the case, at all.

Vash01
05-17-2011, 08:50 PM
First time nominees are always at a disadvantage. Especially if said nominees are young. The voters tend to have the mentality that they have plenty of time to win. The only exception I could think of is if older, previous winners have dominated recently but that has not been the case, at all.

I don't quite agree with that. There have been several actors/actresses that won as first time nominees. Hillary Swank, Gwyneth Paltrow, Adrian Brody are a few examples, and I am sure there are more.

Vash01
05-17-2011, 08:51 PM
Unless you're watching Out of Africa, cuz that movie just plain sucks. :P

I loved her in Kramer v. Kramer though

Sorry. I loved Out of Africa and thought Meryl should have won the Oscar for her portrayal of Isac Dinnesan/Karen/Tania.

Beefcake
05-17-2011, 09:19 PM
Steep has never "missed" in my book, and I've been awed dozens of times in Streep dramas -- Sophie's Choice, Adaptation, and Silkwood stand out. But I tend to most fondly remember her comic turns, e.g. Julie & Julia, Devil Loves Prada and Death Becomes Her (www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEI3Rl0qsAs), where she was really let loose with Bruce Willis and Goldie Hawn and an already loose script. Her wicked/poignant turn in Angels in America also rings true and often.

Mamma Mia is the exception here, and that's not for performance (she was a hoot), but just because Meryl was far too old for the part. And because I'll never be able to erase Pierce Brosnan's singing from my memory. For chrissakes, if dubbing was EVER needed, it was his MM S.O.S. duet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP9EC0qLvDk) :scream:

OTOH, Pierce Brosnan. :grope: Still. And then some. All is forgiven.

BigB08822
05-17-2011, 09:29 PM
I don't quite agree with that. There have been several actors/actresses that won as first time nominees. Hillary Swank, Gwyneth Paltrow, Adrian Brody are a few examples, and I am sure there are more.

Of course. I never said it was impossible to win. I was just pointing out that it can be hard to win as a first time nominee ESPECIALLY if you are young. If I had enough interest I would look up all nominees over the last 25 years, find out which ones were first time nominees and their ages at first nomination and find out A) how many won and B) average age of first win. I would also like to point out I am thinking in regards to Best Actress and not Supporting, as this is the category Meryl will be up for with the role in discussion.

escaflowne9282
05-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Sorry. I loved Out of Africa and thought Meryl should have won the Oscar for her portrayal of Isac Dinnesan/Karen/Tania.

I don't know why, but I just cannot stand this movie. The cinematography is terrific, the soundtrack is gorgeous. I like Meryl Streep as an actress in general. But for some reason, I find the entire movie so trite and ridiculous. I had a similar reaction to The English Patient.

soxxy
05-17-2011, 10:36 PM
I don't know why, but I just cannot stand this movie. The cinematography is terrific, the soundtrack is gorgeous. I like Meryl Streep as an actress in general. But for some reason, I find the entire movie so trite and ridiculous. I had a similar reaction to The English Patient.

Sydney Pollack directed Out of Africa and worked with Anthony Minghella on The English Patient, FWIW.

Both have passed away. :(

Re Streep, I've loved her since I saw her for the first time in Julia. She creates a memorable character in less than five minute's screen time. I knew she'd be a star! ;)

BigB08822
05-17-2011, 10:41 PM
Re Streep, I've loved her since I saw her for the first time in Julia. She creates a memorable character in less than five minute's screen time. I knew she'd be a star! ;)

LOL! At first I was like, there is no way your first time seeing Streep was in Julia!? Then I saw the wink, hehe

soxxy
05-17-2011, 10:49 PM
LOL! At first I was like, there is no way your first time seeing Streep was in Julia!? Then I saw the wink, hehe

Sure, wasn't Julia her first movie in the mid 70s? Her scenes were opposite Jane Fonda, Streep's character being a total bitch. I think the scenes are on youtube.