PDA

View Full Version : Streep in 'Iron Lady': Can we just call the 2011 Oscar race decided already?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]

duane
03-05-2012, 05:38 AM
I don't think you are the most objective person to ask :shuffle:.

Williams wasn't meant to be a celebrity impersonator meant to impress Marilyn's most ardent fans. She was and actress portraying an actress in a film about her assistant's relationship with her; nothing more, and she did a great job.
Perhaps, tho I was responding to the comment that Michelle "seemed exactly like Marilyn" in the clip shown. Such a comment had to have been made by someone confusing Marilyn Monroe with Mamie Van Doren, Barbara Nichols, or one of those many other Marilyn clones that popped up after her tremendous success.

And, I'm not knocking Michelle's acting. I'm knocking the choice of her to play the visual Hollywood icon Marilyn Monroe. Octavia Spencer is a great actress, but she wouldn't be the right choice to play Lena Horne--no matter how great a job she would do in capturing Lena Horne's spirit and attitude.

duane
03-05-2012, 05:43 AM
Why not that movie?
Just never liked it. She was the film's biggest star, but had more of a supporting role. Too much focus of Ethel Merman and Dan Dailey's characters.

Vash01
03-05-2012, 06:46 AM
I was more offended that Julia Ormond portrayed Vivien Leigh. I don't think anyone will ever be as beautiful as Vivien Leigh, or even close.

I mean, really? (http://media1.onsugar.com/files/2011/11/47/1/192/1922283/56b70bcff5466def_vivien/i/Julia-Ormond-Vivien-Leigh.jpg)

I too thought Julia Ormand was a terrible choice to play Vivien Leigh. While watching the movie, it took me a while to realize that the character on the screen was supposed to be Vivien Leigh.

VIETgrlTerifa
03-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Although she wasn't playing Audrey Hepburn, I didn't even like it when Julia Ormond played Sabrina in the 90s remake. Not only did she not have Hepburn's charm and screen presence, but Ormond failed to have any sort of personality it seemed.

Vash01
03-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Poor Julia Ormand. Perhaps she needs to be careful when choosing her roles. Avoid situations/roles where she will be compared with legends.

cruisin
03-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Although she wasn't playing Audrey Hepburn, I didn't even like it when Julia Ormond played Sabrina in the 90s remake. Not only did she not have Hepburn's charm and screen presence, but Ormond failed to have any sort of personality it seemed.

Part of that may have been that they changed the character and made Sabrina more contemporary.

Rex
03-06-2012, 01:08 AM
Too much focus of Ethel Merman and Dan Dailey's characters. Ugh. Ethel Merman...