PDA

View Full Version : Streep in 'Iron Lady': Can we just call the 2011 Oscar race decided already?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14

soxxy
03-04-2012, 01:06 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

In the clip shown at the Oscars? Yes, exactly like Marilyn. I didn't see any other part of the movie.

Vash01
03-04-2012, 05:34 AM
I saw none of the nominated performances, but I rewatched the presentation. Close (wow), Davis, Mara, Williams (seemed like Marilyn to me) and Streep were all stand out in those clips. Maybe the right clips were chosen :shuffle:, but I'm looking forward to seeing the films.

This was a phenomenal year for lead actress roles. I have seen all except Glen Close, out of the nominated roles, because the movie came to just one theater, and left quickly, before I had a chance to see it.

Michelle Williams looked like Marilyn in some scenes and not in some others, but overall she portrayed the character well. It was really tough to choose just one 'best' performance out of these five. I think Meryl Streep was truly the best of the best.

Japanfan
03-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Yet The Iron Lady is a dreadful film, and not in spite of Streep but largely because of her. It is bad on two fronts. One is the creepy way it manipulates an illness: progressive dementia is used, cheaply, as a kind of political metaphor, though it is hard to know exactly for what. The other is that it is lazily constructed, with no real dramatic arc and barely a narrative worth the name. Whatever one thinks of her, Thatcher is a figure of historical importance. But the film lacks any capacity to create moments at which the personal and historic are genuinely fused.

Did Thatcher suffer from dementia? If not, I can see objecting to the portrayal of the illness on that basis. But I'm guessing she must have, or it wouldn't have been in the film? And I did feel that that the film might have been stronger had it foregone the elderly Thatcher's retrospective POV entirely.

But, elderly people do lose their memories and suffer from dementia, it can happen to anyone. And I thought the situation and perspective were handled fairly well. Possibly the intent was to 'humanize' Thatcher, and if so, it worked at least to a certain extent - it gave the sense of a human life span, as opposed to focusing on a political career.

Plus, Streep can't be blamed for having to play an elderly, declining Thatcher. Her performance was still brilliant, regardless of whether you agree with how the character was written.

allezfred
03-04-2012, 11:03 AM
Did Thatcher suffer from dementia?

Yes, she does. Thatcher is still alive.

soxxy
03-04-2012, 12:26 PM
This was a phenomenal year for lead actress roles. I have seen all except Glen Close, out of the nominated roles, because the movie came to just one theater, and left quickly, before I had a chance to see it.

Michelle Williams looked like Marilyn in some scenes and not in some others, but overall she portrayed the character well. It was really tough to choose just one 'best' performance out of these five. I think Meryl Streep was truly the best of the best.

I'm coming to the conclusion the movie studios gave the Academy the very best clips. :) Again, I loved them all. If anything, the sound in Viola Davis's was bad.....I couldn't really make out what she was saying to Emma Stone.

michiruwater
03-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Of course the studios give the Academy the best clips. Why on earth wouldn't they?...

julieann
03-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Of course the studios give the Academy the best clips. Why on earth wouldn't they?...

The Academy gets the entire movie not just the clips.

Vagabond
03-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Plus, Streep can't be blamed for having to play an elderly, declining Thatcher.

I don't think that "blamed" and "having" are the right word to use, but the choice to take on the script was hers. The days of the studio system, under which actors were hired for seven years and given scripts the studio chose from the are long gone. If she didn't like the script, she could have declined the part or asked for the right to script approval in her contract (and she probably did have some form of script-approval clause in her contract).

And, while scripts do change after production starts, they almost never change so drastically as to put in sequences about a protagonist's dementia that weren't there when shooting started.

VIETgrlTerifa
03-04-2012, 05:08 PM
I've noticed that Streep is now getting criticized for her movie roles lately. Some feel that she's being safe and narcissitic by choosing roles where she will remain the focal point despite the quality of the film and thus resulting in filler award nominations. I don't know if I agree completely because sometimes scripts and screenplays simply read better and the execution gets messed up when it is filmed. I also don't like the narcissism critique because most performances that get award nominations are vehicles for their stars. Whether the film is a Best pic contender or not. Quality of film does seem to matter because those are the ones that get the most attention and will be watched by the membership. Only if you are a big established star where you can get enough press for a great performance in a "lesser" film and that's true for men and women. Also, let's face it, it's hard to find quality work for older actresses even if they are Meryl Streep, so they won't pass down brilliant opportunities to be the star of a film in a challenging role even if others think they are "playing it safe" and actively looking for bad movies that are hanging by their performances to save them from utter disaster. I don't think Streep really is actively looking for mediocre films, it's just the way things happen sometimes and she gets award attention due to her performance and publicity of being Streep giving another solid and worthy performance.

michiruwater
03-04-2012, 05:22 PM
?? What?

Which of the following films, other than The Iron Lady, do you really think fits "safe and narcissitic by choosing roles where she will remain the focal point despite the quality of the film and thus resulting in filler award nominations?" These are the only films she's done in the past decade:

It's Complicated (2011)
Julie & Julia (2009)
Doubt (2009)
Mama Mia! (2008)
The Devil Wears Prada (2006)
The Manchurian Candidate (2004)
The Hours (2002)
Adaptation (2002)

I suppose some might argue that The Devil Wears Prada fits, though I think that is a relatively enjoyable film that wasn't ever supposed to vie for a Best Picture nomination, whereas TIL was supposed to be a serious film. It's Complicated and Mama Mia! didn't result in a nomination for Meryl, and were obviously not supposed to be serious films either.

Of the others, Doubt and The Hours were nominated for Best Picture. Pretty sure Adaptation was as well. Julie & Julia was nominated for numerous awards other than Best Actress.

Considering she's done so few films over the past decade, and that so many of them have been genuinely good films, I hardly think that this one bad film means that Meryl is now seeking out roles that will give her praise in a bad film.

cruisin
03-04-2012, 05:39 PM
I think Mama Mia was just fun fluff for her. She can sing, well. She really had never showcased her singing, this was a chance to do that in a light hearted, no risk film. From the interviews, at the time, you got the feeling she did Mama Mia purely for enjoyment, and she seems to have done just that - enjoy herself. No awards necessary.

The Devil Wears Prada was not a safe Streep being the focal point movie, in any way. Anne Hathaway was really the leading role. Streep was just amazing in it. I actually thought both of them and Emily Blunt were perfect in that movie. Not an Oscar movie, but pure enjoyment.

duane
03-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Marilyn Monroe is my all-time favorite celebrity and has been since I saw Gentlemen Prefer Blondes 40 years ago. My bedroom is everything Marilyn...from framed posters on the walls, nearly 25 books on her, every movie that she has appeared in (except There's No Business Like Show Business), cups, figurines, and wine bottles that grace her image...

It's laughable--even insulting--that anyone can say that Michelle Williams looks like the most beautiful, sexy image to ever grace the screen, and I suspect die-hard fans of, say, Rita Hayworth, Elizabeth Taylor, or Grace Kelly would feel the same way if Michelle Williams had portrayed them.

michiruwater
03-04-2012, 09:12 PM
I was more offended that Julia Ormond portrayed Vivien Leigh. I don't think anyone will ever be as beautiful as Vivien Leigh, or even close.

I mean, really? (http://media1.onsugar.com/files/2011/11/47/1/192/1922283/56b70bcff5466def_vivien/i/Julia-Ormond-Vivien-Leigh.jpg)

julieann
03-05-2012, 12:31 AM
Marilyn Monroe is my all-time favorite celebrity and has been since I saw Gentlemen Prefer Blondes 40 years ago. My bedroom is everything Marilyn...from framed posters on the walls, nearly 25 books on her, every movie that she has appeared in (except There's No Business Like Show Business), cups, figurines, and wine bottles that grace her image...

It's laughable--even insulting--that anyone can say that Michelle Williams looks like the most beautiful, sexy image to ever grace the screen, and I suspect die-hard fans of, say, Rita Hayworth, Elizabeth Taylor, or Grace Kelly would feel the same way if Michelle Williams had portrayed them.

I don't think you are the most objective person to ask :shuffle:.

Williams wasn't meant to be a celebrity impersonator meant to impress Marilyn's most ardent fans. She was and actress portraying an actress in a film about her assistant's relationship with her; nothing more, and she did a great job.

milanessa
03-05-2012, 12:45 AM

Why not that movie?