PDA

View Full Version : Streep in 'Iron Lady': Can we just call the 2011 Oscar race decided already?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14

Vash01
03-03-2012, 02:12 AM
Remember when her name was announced by Colin Firth, she looked shocked, but I think no one else was. She got a rousing ovation for a long time from the audience. I am sure her peers knew what an extraordinary performance it was; who cares about the critics?

BigB08822
03-03-2012, 02:25 AM
The people complaining about anyone winning for their acting in a "bad" film are just throwing around sour grapes and/or don't understand how the Oscar's work. The acting awards go to the man and woman who gives the best performance in a film during the year, according to the voters. In theory, a person can give the best performance in the worst movie of the year. I bet people can even find examples of this happening but since there are no actual awards for worst movies (Razzies are crap) then that is always subjective. They have a separate category for the Best Picture, as I am sure you know, right...?

Japanfan
03-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Remember when her name was announced by Colin Firth, she looked shocked, but I think no one else was. She got a rousing ovation for a long time from the audience. I am sure her peers knew what an extraordinary performance it was; who cares about the critics?

I don't think she was shocked as I imagine TPTB had made it clear she would win - the gold dress was a giveaway and also the attendance of her husband, who IIRC hasn't accompanied her every year she has been nominated?

Rather, I think she was slightly embarrassed. She indicated as much when she said could imagine people saying her again

I was once again impressed by Streep's grace and humility.

Vash01
03-03-2012, 04:39 PM
I don't think she was shocked as I imagine TPTB had made it clear she would win - the gold dress was a giveaway and also the attendance of her husband, who IIRC hasn't accompanied her every year she has been nominated?

Rather, I think she was slightly embarrassed. She indicated as much when she said could imagine people saying her again

I was once again impressed by Streep's grace and humility.

What's TPTB?

I do remember her saying (directly or indirectly, I am not sure) somewhere that she was very proud of her performance in that movie. I think she really wanted to win this time.

Vagabond
03-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Remember when her name was announced by Colin Firth, she looked shocked, but I think no one else was.

She's an actress -- and a very good one at that. ;)

cruisin
03-03-2012, 04:53 PM
I think she was genuinely and happily surprised to win. Viola Davis had won all of the preceding awards. Many expected Davis to win.

duane
03-03-2012, 05:20 PM
I think she was genuinely and happily surprised to win.
Me too. Having heard your name said so many times when the presenter is naming the nominees but someone else's when the winner is announced, you get used to it. And I agree that Viola had taken the lead in being expected to win.

I am SO happy Meryl won, but it means that Halle Berry's performance in Monster's Ball (UGH!) is still the only Best Actress winning performance by a black actress. UGH again!

Vash01
03-03-2012, 05:51 PM
I am sure Viola will have many opportunities in the future to win an Oscar. She has been terrific even in small roles.

allezfred
03-03-2012, 06:47 PM
equatorial, is this you? :lol: ;)

The grander a dame she becomes, the worse Meryl Streep's films get (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2012/0303/1224312668130.html)

Yet The Iron Lady is a dreadful film, and not in spite of Streep but largely because of her. It is bad on two fronts. One is the creepy way it manipulates an illness: progressive dementia is used, cheaply, as a kind of political metaphor, though it is hard to know exactly for what. The other is that it is lazily constructed, with no real dramatic arc and barely a narrative worth the name. Whatever one thinks of her, Thatcher is a figure of historical importance. But the film lacks any capacity to create moments at which the personal and historic are genuinely fused.

The overall feel is that Phyllida Lloyd was interested in making a film about Alzheimer’s, hung it on a well-known public figure and ended up with something that works as neither a medical nor a political drama.

So the standard conclusion would be that Streep deserves all the more praise for triumphing in a dud movie. But surely the truth is the reverse: it is Streep that allows a movie as bad as this to be made. Meryl Streep doesn’t appear in movies (except when she’s self-consciously slumming it, as in Mamma Mia!) ; movies appear for Meryl Streep. Her power and skill enable mediocrity to thrive.

Garden Kitty
03-03-2012, 08:29 PM
What's TPTB?

The Powers That Be

Vash01
03-03-2012, 08:34 PM
The Oscar results are confidential. I doubt that she was told she would win. Her surprise seemed genuine. I am sure she too thought like the rest of us that Viola would win.

ilovepaydays
03-03-2012, 09:17 PM
I am sure Viola will have many opportunities in the future to win an Oscar. She has been terrific even in small roles.

True - Viola is a great actress. But I could argue that even thought Meryl Streep is one of my all-time favorite actresses, she will be probably be nominated at least 10 more times. :lol: And I think she will still do greater roles.

Vash01
03-03-2012, 11:05 PM
Meryl Streep playing Margaret Thatcher, in a film being released in the fall. Easy math! ...

Streep + Streep accent + Streep Oscar drought+ British theme + Weinstein US promotion
= OSCAR WIN

Any other actress with serious Oscar-caliber work/expectations should, pronto, delay her film into early 2012, claiming "production delays" or some other b.s. Iron Lady distribution (www.thewrap.com/movies/column-post/weinstein-takes-us-rights-mery-streeps-iron-lady-27364)

Out of curiosity, I went back to the OP, and here it is. I did not believe it then, but it was a great prediction.:)
I am so glad it actually happened.

soxxy
03-04-2012, 12:03 AM
I saw none of the nominated performances, but I rewatched the presentation. Close (wow), Davis, Mara, Williams (seemed like Marilyn to me) and Streep were all stand out in those clips. Maybe the right clips were chosen :shuffle:, but I'm looking forward to seeing the films.

duane
03-04-2012, 12:32 AM
Williams (seemed like Marilyn to me)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: