PDA

View Full Version : Streep in 'Iron Lady': Can we just call the 2011 Oscar race decided already?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

soxxy
03-01-2012, 09:01 PM
A superb video tribute to Streep and all her seventeen nominations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODmehhKgFk&feature=g-all-u&context=G2abbdbcFAAAAAAAAAAA

DarrellH
03-01-2012, 09:28 PM
Great actress, but Streep has always been a fashion disaster. :scream:

I think she just has a more casual approach to dressing. While I did like the dress this year, I thought she looked like she rolled out of bed with that on.

cruisin
03-01-2012, 10:34 PM
I liked Meryl's golden dress. She looked like a golden statue in it. I could not understand why our local newspaper had that in the list of the worst dresses.

I wouldn't have said she was a worst dressed, but I didn't care for the dress. It was ill-fitting and did nothing for her. I didn't mind the color, just a bit took shimmery. And she really should do more with her hair. It was, however, one of her better looks, she usually does not dress particularly well. Interestingly, when she did The Devil Wears Prada, and was styled impeccably, she was stunning. So, clearly she can look fabulous.

duane
03-01-2012, 11:24 PM
Bah. Hepburn. Great actress, sure, but never the chameleon Streep is. Her voice/accent never changed.
I totally agree, and I think it's why the opportunity is great for Streep to win another Oscar. Perhaps the Academy now prefers someone other than Hepburn to be the person with the most best Actress/Actor awards (and IMO, three of those awards were undeserved...Morning Glory, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, and On Golden Pond).

emason
03-02-2012, 12:17 PM
IIRC Warren Beatty got a lifetime achievement award, didn't he? He was certainly not stiffed of statuettes. That is not a requirement for a lifetime achievement award. I may be confusing the Oscar lifetime with the Golden globes lifetime awards, but I remember seeing Sophia Loren receive one. Three Oscars for Streep is actually pretty low.

That's why I said 'usually'. There are people who have gotten lifetime achievement awards who do have Oscars, but it is more often traditionally given to those who don't - like Deborah Kerr, who had 6 or 7 noms and no wins.

Garden Kitty
03-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Streep donates $10,000 to each of two different scholarship funds in honor of Viola Davis (http://news.yahoo.com/streep-gives-10k-viola-davis-ri-student-fund-153309175.html)

cruisin
03-02-2012, 04:33 PM
^^ I heard about that yesterday. Not only is Streep a great actress, she is a class act person.

masofs
03-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Streep donates $10,000 to each of two different scholarship funds in honor of Viola Davis (http://news.yahoo.com/streep-gives-10k-viola-davis-ri-student-fund-153309175.html)

So classy.:respec:

Kasey
03-02-2012, 05:09 PM
^^ I heard about that yesterday. Not only is Streep a great actress, she is a class act person.

Ditto. What a rockstar of a lady.

Vash01
03-02-2012, 05:12 PM

That's truly awesome. What a great lady!

julieann
03-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Has anyone seen Iron Lady? And, do you think Steep deserved the Oscar for that film?

Yes, films are not nominated nor do they win Oscars for best actress, the actress does. Streep was the absolute best.

cruisin
03-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Yes, films are not nominated nor do they win Oscars for best actress, the actress does. Streep was the absolute best.

I think you misunderstood. I was not talking about the film, in general. I was asking if Streep's performance in that film was Oscar worthy. I had read that it seemed more like an impersonation than acting. I have not seen it, and cannot comment myself. So, I was wondering what people who saw it thought.

Vash01
03-02-2012, 08:13 PM
I think you misunderstood. I was not talking about the film, in general. I was asking if Streep's performance in that film was Oscar worthy. I had read that it seemed more like an impersonation than acting. I have not seen it, and cannot comment myself. So, I was wondering what people who saw it thought.

I don't know who said it was more like an impersonation. Of course there was some of that, but there was so much more; there's a lot of depth to her acting, and yes, I am specifically talking about her in this movie. Had she looked completely different from Thatcher and had not imitated her voice and accent, the same people might have said she completely failed because she could not imitate Thatcher.

cruisin
03-02-2012, 08:46 PM
I don't know who said it was more like an impersonation. Of course there was some of that, but there was so much more; there's a lot of depth to her acting, and yes, I am specifically talking about her in this movie. Had she looked completely different from Thatcher and had not imitated her voice and accent, the same people might have said she completely failed because she could not imitate Thatcher.

You're probably right. I take what I read/hear, from the movie reviewers, with a grain of salt. So, I wanted a more reliable FSU opinion - thanks :)

Marlowe
03-03-2012, 12:47 AM
Has anyone seen Iron Lady? And, do you think Steep deserved the Oscar for that film?

Yes. I saw the film - and to me it is an odd thing that the film doesn't seem to matter - it is the performance that matters. Her performance was simply extraordinary - seamless. At one point in the film I was nearly brought to tears, not because of the storyline, but because I was just so enthralled by her skill. I have long admired her work, and I am not one who ever gets a charge out of the "impersonation" elements in a performance. But, this performance transcends imitation.

I am tempted to go on and gush some... but I'll be labeled an uber Fan! :lol: