PDA

View Full Version : Streep in 'Iron Lady': Can we just call the 2011 Oscar race decided already?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14

skatingfan5
02-27-2012, 08:29 PM
Interesting comment that Meryl made that she "knows that this is the last time that she will be up there accepting an award". It's almost as though she felt a bit guilty. I still love her and think that she's great!I didn't see any "guilt" underlying her words. I took her comment to mean that with the odds of getting really wonderful roles diminish with age (especially for women), the chances of her winning another Oscar were considerably lessened. And even with a great role/performance, there is never any guarantee of getting a nomination, much less winning (she had a dozen consecutive misses to back up that).

Vash01
02-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Interesting comment that Meryl made that she "knows that this is the last time that she will be up there accepting an award". It's almost as though she felt a bit guilty. I still love her and think that she's great!

It took her 30 years(?) to go from her 2nd Oscar to her 3rd. I think she meant that she was not likely to win a 4th Oscar in her lifetime.:)

BigB08822
02-27-2012, 11:05 PM
I took it to mean that she feels the odds are heavily against her to win another. If it took 30 years and countless AMAZING performances to just get 1 more Oscar, what will it take to get another? She doesn't have 30 more years. Maybe she can live for 30 more years but to continue to work as much as she did in the previous 30 years? I doubt it. August: Osage County may be another nomination for her. I doubt they will give it to her so soon after a win, though.

michiruwater
02-27-2012, 11:18 PM
I would like to see her tie Hepburn with 4 wins though, especially since Julia/Julia was such a huge freaking robbery.

manleywoman
02-28-2012, 04:39 AM
Bah. Hepburn. Great actress, sure, but never the chameleon Streep is. Her voice/accent never changed.

Vash01
03-01-2012, 06:02 AM
Streep should have received 5 Oscars by now, but I will be happy if she just wins her 4th (plus a lifetime achievement Oscar).

Japanfan
03-01-2012, 10:33 AM
I thought Streep looked ravishing in that so very beautiful gold dress - brought to mind Michelle Kwan in her gold dress for "Fields of Gold" (I think that was the name of the song?) - and it was 2002, wasn't it, when she was 'going for gold'?

I do feel it is a shame that Tilda Swinton wasn't nominated for "We Need to Talk about Kevin", though. Such a fine performance.

Bostonfan
03-01-2012, 11:59 AM
I took it to mean that she feels the odds are heavily against her to win another. If it took 30 years and countless AMAZING performances to just get 1 more Oscar, what will it take to get another? She doesn't have 30 more years. Maybe she can live for 30 more years but to continue to work as much as she did in the previous 30 years? I doubt it. August: Osage County may be another nomination for her. I doubt they will give it to her so soon after a win, though.

My sentiments exactly. Another Oscar nomination, yes. Another Oscar win, no. At this point she's really only likely to get a lifetime achievement award from the Academy. AFI already did a ceremony for her in 2004 (way too early it turns out), but I don't think she has one from the Oscars, or the Golden Globes Cecil B Demille award.

emason
03-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Streep should have received 5 Oscars by now, but I will be happy if she just wins her 4th (plus a lifetime achievement Oscar).

There is no reason whatsoever to give her a lifetime achievement award. That's usually are reserved for those who really got stiffed of statuettes previously - stiffed, as in none to date. She's got 3; that's all the lifetime achievement she needs.

Vash01
03-01-2012, 05:28 PM
There is no reason whatsoever to give her a lifetime achievement award. That's usually are reserved for those who really got stiffed of statuettes previously - stiffed, as in none to date. She's got 3; that's all the lifetime achievement she needs.

IIRC Warren Beatty got a lifetime achievement award, didn't he? He was certainly not stiffed of statuettes. That is not a requirement for a lifetime achievement award. I may be confusing the Oscar lifetime with the Golden globes lifetime awards, but I remember seeing Sophia Loren receive one. Three Oscars for Streep is actually pretty low.

cruisin
03-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Has anyone seen Iron Lady? And, do you think Steep deserved the Oscar for that film?

Vash01
03-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Has anyone seen Iron Lady? And, do you think Steep deserved the Oscar for that film?

Yes, I saw the movie and actually liked it, although I would have preferred a different approach than they took. Streep was very good- enough to deserve the Oscar. I wouldn't say this was her best performance ever, but it was good enough to win even in a very strong ladies field. They were all great, so it was a toss up between so many. I am glad that the Oscar went to Meryl.

Vash01
03-01-2012, 06:31 PM
I thought Streep looked ravishing in that so very beautiful gold dress - brought to mind Michelle Kwan in her gold dress for "Fields of Gold" (I think that was the name of the song?) - and it was 2002, wasn't it, when she was 'going for gold'?

I do feel it is a shame that Tilda Swinton wasn't nominated for "We Need to Talk about Kevin", though. Such a fine performance.

Yes, that was the song Michelle skated to, and yes it was in the 2002 Olympic exhibitions. (See, you can't get rid of Michelle Kwan even in an Oscars thread :lol:)

I liked Meryl's golden dress. She looked like a golden statue in it. I could not understand why our local newspaper had that in the list of the worst dresses.

mrinalini
03-01-2012, 06:35 PM

Oh, absolutely. The movie itself wasn't very good and some of the writing just had me :rolleyes:, but Meryl really captured the bleakness of Thatcher's old age so well. She didn't do too badly as a younger Thatcher, too; it's just that the younger version had less to do what with Thatcher's political life being glossed over in such a paint-by-numbers manner. Even then, she had a fantastic scene near the end when she loses it in front of her ministers (Geoffrey Howe among them). That and the scene where an older Thatcher receives a call from her son saying that he won't be coming to visit her are the moments that really stand out to me even now.

IMO, Meryl didn't have a single weak moment in the film where I thought, ehh, she's going a tad overboard or otherwise (moments that I could find in her previous performances, as good as they are); she really was so strong throughout the entire film. I found that she was pretty much perfect in It's Complicated as well, and yes, I know that that film is a frothy comedy, but even so I do think that her acting is actually getting better as she gets older.

allezfred
03-01-2012, 08:44 PM
I liked Meryl's golden dress. She looked like a golden statue in it. I could not understand why our local newspaper had that in the list of the worst dresses.

Because they have taste and fashion sense and you and Meryl Streep obviously don't. :P

Great actress, but Streep has always been a fashion disaster. :scream: