PDA

View Full Version : NY Ballet fans

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

Holley Calmes
05-30-2011, 11:57 PM
My Zach is 3...he needs to see this! Of course, all Zach cares about is "going fast..."

Seriously, the child has music and tempo bred in the bone, plus a healthy desire for adulation. I'll give him that, precious thing.

IceAlisa
05-30-2011, 11:59 PM
Little Alexei's sense of tempo and timing is better than that of some pros out there...:shuffle:

Mozart
05-31-2011, 12:46 AM
This timine with the tambourine is excellent. So many of the pros are off with the tambourine!

Mozart
05-31-2011, 02:48 AM
Alexei is better than this girl...ouch... her teacher is insane to even let her own pointe shoes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W87ZR0XQLU&feature=related

IceAlisa
05-31-2011, 03:03 AM
Well, these days ballet is all about being inclusive. Technique and body types are too elitist. We are all dancers now. :rolleyes:

emason
05-31-2011, 04:22 AM
The Giselle-a-Thon continues: Jealous of everyone who's been to see it in the last week, I went to tonight and saw Paloma Herrera and Roberto Bolle. It gets a serviceable B+ - some really good moments and some really bad ones. I'll post my no teknik report tomorrow after I've had some sleep.

Holley Calmes
05-31-2011, 04:23 AM
The Giselle-a-Thon continues: Jealous of everyone who's been to see it in the last week, I went to tonight and saw Paloma Herrera and Roberto Bolle. It gets a serviceable B+ - some really good moments and some really bad ones. I'll post my no teknik report tomorrow after I've had some sleep.

Can't wait!

IceAlisa-your latest comment. Truly. Dead on.

Holley Calmes
05-31-2011, 04:25 AM
Alexei is better than this girl...ouch... her teacher is insane to even let her own pointe shoes

That breaks my heart. That poor child.

emason
05-31-2011, 04:27 AM
That breaks my heart. That poor child.

That was pretty sad. Where are this child's parents?

Holley Calmes
05-31-2011, 01:17 PM
It's really not a surprise. There are so many "Dolly Dinkle" schools out there.

I'll never forget the time this 16 year old girl came to take a class where my daughter took-a professional company's 10 a.m. morning technique class. The girl was all full of herself and said she had been dancing since she was 3. She came from some school in Atlanta I'd never heard of.

What tipped me off (I worked for the company-I was there) was that she insisted on taking class in her pointe shoes. The instructor-a former classmate of Baryshnikov's at the Kirov-questioned this, but she insisted.

The poor child did not even know basic terminology! She never made it halfway through barre. She fled, crying.

I know that little one had taken years of dance-her parents had paid thousand of dollars-for what? Very bad instruction. But my heart ached for her-her dream was shattered, and she had been humiliated. The little one in this video is being humiliated too, probably without even being aware. It's criminal.

Jenny
05-31-2011, 01:20 PM
I was at Giselle on Friday night - loved Marcelo Gomes, but I have to say I didn't share in the audience love for Diana Vishneva. She's exquisite no doubt, but we did prefer Sonia Rodriguez's Giselle.

Is it common for NY audiences to be so enthusiastic mid-performance? I don't think I've ever heard a bravo or seen anyone stand before the final bow in Toronto (even in the land of standing ovations ;))

My favourite part of Giselle is always the second act, and here I had to give the prize to the ABT corp over the National Ballet - I could have watched them for hours. Give me lovely classical moves, perfect unison and beautiful traditional costumes over voidy death scenes any day!

beepbeep
05-31-2011, 02:24 PM

:eek: That was bad... You'd think a ballet teacher wouldn't let the students go to these things while being so untrained. Poor girl.

emason
05-31-2011, 03:20 PM
Is it common for NY audiences to be so enthusiastic mid-performance? I don't think I've ever heard a bravo or seen anyone stand before the final bow in Toronto (even in the land of standing ovations ;))

Yes, unfortunately. There was a ton of inappropriate applause and bravoing at last night's performance. All it does is stop the performance mid-track and the sense of flow is gone. It's hard to lose yourself in the mood of the piece when the action gets stopped every 2 or 3 minutes.

Now, don't get me started on all those people who insist on leaving the theatre before the lights come up. I had 6 people trip over me in the dark last night - fun, not.

IceAlisa
05-31-2011, 09:19 PM
Someone in teknik or even in no teknik, please post your review of Vishneva's Giselle. Some ubers are dying here. :shuffle:

emason
05-31-2011, 10:01 PM
Someone in teknik or even in no teknik, please post your review of Vishneva's Giselle. Some ubers are dying here. :shuffle:

I wish I had seen it, but I didn't go that night; I can tell you about the Vishneva/Malakhov one I saw 4 or so seasons ago if you are interested. It was one of the most spectacular Giselles I have ever seen.

My no teknik review of last night:

Paloma Herrera, Roberto Bolle, Gennadi Saveliev, Michelle Wiles. It was pleasant but no great shakes; it gets a middle of the road grade from me.

Is Hilarion a villain? Christ, he sure is when Saveliev dances the role. His characterization is, in a word, intense. Every moment he was onstage in Act I I kept thinking 'stalker', 'restraining order'.

Michelle Wiles made a not bad Myrtha; she managed to show the implacable imperiousness quite well, but, I swear, ABT has not had a truly great Myrtha since Martine Van Hamel gave up the role.

As for Herrera and Bolle, Herrera is another dance who does not float my boat. She's adequate but not outstanding. However, she and Bolle have great chemistry and made a very handsome couple. Bolle is so goddamned good looking and has such a charming boyishness about him that I almost didn't care about the dancing. His Albrecht is not a cad, he's just a man who picked the wrong moment to fall in love with the wrong woman. He is truly devastated when Giselle dies.

Bolle did something interesting in Act II; he managed to make Albrecht look exhausted, far more exhausted than any other Albrecht I have ever seen, while dancing beautifully and not making himself, Bolle, look exhausted. I don't know how he pulled that off and he had one variation that was truly outstanding. High marks from me to Bolle.

Back to Act I - the peasant Pas de Deux, Misty Copeland and Blaine Hoven - the less said about this the better. It was utterly forgettable. My one moment of teknik criticism is that Hoven pikes forward at the waist a lot; it looks really bad when he does it. I saw Reyes and Cornejo do this once; there is absolutely no comparison.

I'm not sorry I went, because Giselle is my favorite ballet, and I love seeing different casts interpret the roles. I would certainly go see Bolle again if I got the chance, but Herrera, no. I don't get the love.