PDA

View Full Version : NY Ballet fans

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36

Marge_Simpson
06-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Go on Thursday, you will get the same cast I saw. (Vishneva, Gomes, Osipova, Matthews, Saveliev)
I was SO tempted to swap out my tickets and go to see another cast, but I know nothing I see will be as fabulous as what I saw last night and i would just be comparing the two.

emason
06-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Feel better, Rob.

Onegin is divine? Hmm, now I'm tempted to go. I do have some of Tchaikovsky's Eugene score on my iPod, so it would be nice to see some dancing to that music.

I'm not sure it is the same music. My understanding is that it is Tchaikovsky, but other music, not from the opera. Someone correct me if I am wrong, please.

Come on Thursday if you can; I'll be up in the dress circle, seat F112.

Cheylana
06-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Oh, that's interesting about the music, thanks emason. Even so, I'm awfully tempted, and I'm off Friday so Thursday's performance would work well. Will mosey down to the box office and see if I can get a good seat.

Marge_Simpson
06-06-2012, 05:21 AM
I can't post about Onegin because I will just gush all over the place.
So I will post about seeing NYCB on Sunday. I went mainly to see "Jeu de Cartes"; I had only seen ABT do this, never NYCB. I didn't realized they do different versions, NYCB's has no joker. It was great fun anyway. The 4 "suits" were Tiler Peck, Joaquin De Luz, Taylor Stanley and Andrew Veyette. They were all very fine, but I was especially impressed with Stanley, who is still in the corps. This sort of playful, lighthearted role suited him very well. (I felt he was woefully miscast as a Jet in WSS this past winter) His partnering was wonderful, too, there are a lot of tricky handholds here and he was really secure with them. After reading Joaquin's interview in TONY several weeks ago, I kept looking at him through my binoculars to see if he was sweating. He wasn't!:lol:

Next up was Fancy Free, which I have seen more times than I can count, but you can never have too many Fancy Frees, IMO. The sailors were Andrew Veyette, Daniel Ulbricht and Robert Fairchild, I saw the same cast over the winter. Is it just me, or does Ulbricht remind anyone else of Maxim Staviskyi? They have the same sort of devilish grin.
I enjoyed this very much but Andrew, who did the "samba sailor" will never come close to Jose Carreno's samba sailor. Ha!

The last piece was Tschaikovsky Suite No. 3, which I had also seen over the winter, but I can never have too much Tschaikovsky. Unfortunately I had to suffer through Ask LaCour in the "Elegie" section. He dances nicely, he partners well, he has beautiful stretch, he is so utterly blah. Can someone tell me why this section is danced with bare feet? Ballet dancers, even the men, have seriously nasty looking feet. I wish they'd wear slippers here. Ashley Bouder and Gonzalo did the last section, which is my favorite, the tema con variazioni. They were gorgeous together. (and Gonzalo is just dreamy looking) For some reason Gonzalo's dancing makes me think of Malakhov's, possibly because their body types are so similar and they both have beautiful feet.
There was some kind of dancer talk before the ballet, but I had to make a decision: slog up to the 4th ring for the talk, or walk across the plaza for gelato? The gelato won out. ;)

emason
06-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Gelato should always win out.

Fancy Free: I have always thought that City Ballet's pales in comparison to ABT's. The first time I saw it at City Ballet, it was like a museum piece - frozen in time and formaldehyde. It's improved since then, but ABT just gets the flavor of it better than City Ballet. Yes, no one comes close to Carreno in the samba except for the late, great Bujones.

Marge_Simpson
06-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Gelato should always win out.

Fancy Free: I have always thought that City Ballet's pales in comparison to ABT's. The first time I saw it at City Ballet, it was like a museum piece - frozen in time and formaldehyde. It's improved since then, but ABT just gets the flavor of it better than City Ballet. Yes, no comes close to Carreno is the samba except for the late, great Bujones.

I didn't see Bujones dance when I first started going to see ABT. Baryshnikov had just fired him, IIRC. I did see him several times when he returned, although not in Fancy Free. "Elegant" is the best word to describe him IMO. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5yP4hy_qG8

Rob
06-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Bujones was amazing.

Marge_Simpson
06-07-2012, 05:34 AM
I am MASSIVELY peeved with Alastair Macaulay. Did anyone see his review in the NY Times today?
I was irritated when I read his review of Eifman's "Rodin", which he disliked and claimed was melodramatic and over-the-top. I thought he missed the point altogether, EVERY Eifman ballet is melodramatic and over-the top. Complaining about that is kind of like complaining that only the men have flashy solos in "Le Corsaire" or that nobody drops dead in "Don Quixote". That's just a fact of life. Clearly, he doesn't care for Eifman's style; he should have stayed home and watched his old Baryshnikov videos instead of coming out and finding things to criticize. Hmph.
But he didn't like Monday's Onegin. I do not know what is wrong with this man. Does he actually like any ballet at all? He maintains that "no choreography here rewards repeat viewing" and the ballet is "historical pulp fiction". Has he actually read the book? Worst of all, he said that Jared Matthews was "a blandly pleasant" Lensky. Jared danced as well as I've ever seen him, and he was wonderfully in character...a mild-mannered guy who boiled over when stretched to the breaking point. Bland? Hmph. Hmph.
Is there any ballet this man is positive about?
:mad:

kwanfan1818
06-07-2012, 05:40 AM
Balanchine, Tudor, Ashton, Petipa are just some of the choreographers that Macaulay loves.

Marge_Simpson
06-07-2012, 07:30 AM
I found another full length Swan lake for everyone's viewing pleasure. This is the Bourmeister version, with Zakharova and Bolle. I much prefer it to ABT's. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM3fZ3qewqo&feature=fvwrel

emason
06-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Thanks for posting; it looks wonderful, but I have a full day today. I'll watch it over the weekend.

ABT, please get a new version of Swan Lake. What you have now is ghastly. In fact, don't even show it next season. Give us a rest for a year and put on something else in its place.

kwanfan1818
06-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Re-tweeted by NYCB:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BG6B9iz5KQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Marge_Simpson
06-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Jose Carreno on "Dancing With the Stars"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chMhV831wAw

:smokin:

emason
06-08-2012, 04:59 AM
Onegin tonight was WONDERFUL. Note to Marge: on the way home I bumped into She Who Lurks Here But Doesn't Post, and she said to tell you that as someone who went both Monday and tonight, she thought tonight was even better.

The final scene was a knockout; Gomes and Vishneva brought the house down. The emotional intensity on the stage had no trouble reaching the back of the Dress Circle and the final pose of Vishneva with the frozen look of pain and anguish on her face was riveting.

Reid Anderson, of the Stuttgart Ballet, talked about working with Cranko in the lecture he did recently at the Guggenheim Works + Process. He said Cranko always felt the choreography could tell the whole story and that reading a program shouldn't be necessary. This is utterly clear in Onegin; you know who is who and who is doing what to whom at all times. Until tonight I hadn't seen this in over 20 years and I didn't look at the program once (lighting at the Met is so dim) - there was no need to. The choreography told me everything I needed to know.

I'm curious to see if any of the other casts get reviewed and how they fare.

Marge_Simpson
06-08-2012, 05:50 AM
They won't fare well if Macauley reviews them. :mad:

Is anyone going to see NYCB's MSND on Friday?

I had good news at work tonight, I am off on the 20th, so I can see Alex Hammoudi make his debut as Romeo. I don't really like anyone's R&J, but I MUST see Alex. I am so hoping he will be promoted at the end of the season.

I am going to Kevin's anniversary thing on the 12th. Not because of him, I want to see Misty's Firebird. Though from what she said at the W&P thing, it sounds pretty odd. And to see Julie Kent in "Cruel World" (Kudelka made this on Julie and Robert Hill)
And I am also going on the 13th to see Marcelo's "Apollo"