PDA

View Full Version : NY Ballet fans

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36

emason
05-21-2012, 10:12 PM
Pas was Yuriko Kajiya and Joseph Phillips, if I recall correctly. (Program has already gone out in the trash.)

Gillian Murphy was Myrtha and she was good, but her demeanor had nothing on the underling who poured on the icy disdain as Bathilde - that girl frightened me. I wouldn't want to steal her boyfriend.

Rob
05-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Did Cojocaru's Albrecht or Marcelo Gomes do the brises diagonally down the stage in his final entrance? Hallberg came to center stage and did 24 perfect entrechat six. Perfect. In a sense, it made it more believeable that he'd die soon after that, but I missed the effect of the brises.

emason
05-21-2012, 10:52 PM
Did Cojocaru's Albrecht or Marcelo Gomes do the brises diagonally down the stage in his final entrance? Hallberg came to center stage and did 24 perfect entrechat six. Perfect. In a sense, it made it more believeable that he'd die soon after that, but I missed the effect of the brises.

Sorry, but I am in total no teknik. The review in today's Times sums up what the different couples did.

Rob
05-22-2012, 03:55 AM
Hallberg.The part I am talking about is right at the beginning. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=david%20hallberg%20giselle&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFEQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DePn OyaE7-3I&ei=i_26T-nVCMPk6QGtyuzpCg&usg=AFQjCNELK3N8xNV5yHT9yWEIv3Biji1cZg

Then go to the 2 minute mark here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNkPKCVAstc&feature=youtube_gdata_player. Baryshnikov does brises across the floor.

Marge_Simpson
05-22-2012, 07:02 AM
Jose always did brises. :) I don't think I ever saw him do an entrechat, come to think of it.

I unexpectedly got the evening off on Wednesday, so I was able to catch the matinee with Hee Seo and Cory Stearns.
I don't usually go to matinees, do they usually attract a more colorful element than evening performances? The woman sitting next to me was wearing ripped jeans and gladiator sandals, and wore a nose ring and at least 6 earrings in each ear. And she was old enough to be my mother. Clearly she had dropped too much acid back in the seventies. The woman in front of me had frizzy black hair in 2 pigtails, a dress with a mermaid train, and about a pound of aqua eyeshadow on her lids. She kept turning around, so I slouched down in my seat to escape her notice. She looked just like the sort of person to feel my aura. (See the snark thread for what happened to me in Sephora last week :lol:)
Seo was exquisite. I was in the 3rd row so I could see everyone's face clearly, and she completely nailed it. She was a sweet, very shy Giselle. Her arms! Just gorgeous. I am convinced she has had her wristbones surgically removed. Cory has improved so much from last season. His line, his stretch, his partnering, are all vastly better. His Albrecht was no cad...he was totally besotted with Giselle. The only quibble I had with him was that he needs to work on his facial expression a bit more. He beamed every time he saw Giselle, but he needs to put more of his personality into his performances. Technically, he was very, very good, he did entrechats that looked textbook to me.
Simone Messmer was Myrta and FIERCE. I liked her in this part last year, but noted that she started out tentatively and gradually got her bitch on. This time she started out strong and only got better.
Maria Richetto and Jared Matthew did the peasant pas. I felt the same as last year: Maria is technically ok but devoid of personality. I love Jared. I like the way he lands his jumps - quietly, with soft knees and a deep plie. He had the right attitude - he was proud to be performing for the nobles, but a little nervous at the same time.
Patrick Ogle was Hilarion and did a fine job.

Saturday's performance (Vishneva, Gomes, Semionova) was very good, but not magical like last year's Vishneva-Gomes performance was.
Diana played Giselle differently, not shy and sheltered. A bit coy, definitely besotted, but not shy. Gomes' Albrecht was the smarmiest, sleaziest cad I've ever seen (and I have seen Malakhov do this role) When Giselle died, he was very, very sorry for what he had done, but I never for a minute believed he loved her. He wasn't quite as sharp as he usually is, IMO. The partnering was impeccable as always, but his entrechats were a bit labored and he was flapping his arms too much. He did the sissone right after the entrechats but it barely got off the ground.
Semionova is a beautiful dancer, lyrical, musical, but I'm not sure she pulled off Myrta all that well. She seemed too soft, if that's the right word, without a hint of bitchiness. To me she looked like she was dancing bits that had been cut from "La Sylphide"
Saviliev was Hilarion, and excellent as always. He owns this role as far as I'm concerned.
Daniil Simkin and Sarah Lane did the peasant pas. I like Sarah very much, and she was just sparkling. But Daniil! :mad: I can't stand him. Can you say "showboating", boys and girls? This wasn't a gala, it was a BALLET. Okay, his cabrioles were spectacular. But this was a pas de DEUX. Not a pas d'un.
He. Cannot. Partner. He was in the wrong position every time they did a supported pirouette, half the time his hands weren't even near Sarah, because he was standing too far away. Hell, he couldn't even promenade her correctly. His arm
was wobbling so badly, it's a wonder he was even able to get her around. And it's the PEASANT'S pas. Not an audition for the court jester. Peasants are not supposed to smirk at royalty as if to say, "Ohh, let me show you what I can do, baby." Furthermore, his, err, bits, were not tucked up inside his dance belt correctly. It was quite distracting.
I love the way Diana always bows to the orchestra after she bows to the audience. :)
Can someone tell me why Giselle is buried in unconsecrated ground? In ABT's "Giselle" it is clear that she does not commit suicide, so this has never made any sense to me.
The corps looked good to me at both performances, well-rehearsed, but I was close to the stage for each, so maybe I was too close to really tell.
Alex Hammoudi, who is divinely handsome and should have been promoted long ago, was one of the peasants, and danced on both Wednesday and Saturday. Unfortunately he got stuck in the back because all the shorter guys were dancing with him. He should have been right in front because he is the best looking. Hmph. BTW, he is going to be doing Romeo with Hee Seo as his Juliet. Could this mean a promotion is in the works? I must finagle a way to get off from work and see him. Even though I don't like R&J.
This concludes my snarky review. :D

BTW, if anyone is going to La Bayadere this Friday and wants to meet up for dinner beforehand, just say the word.

emason
05-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Rob: Brises; Corella definitely did brises. However, it's a wonder I can remember; the lighting in that scene is so dark, or maybe it's because the color of his costume blended in with the scenery, but I could barely see Corella at that point.

Marge: I think all the professional eccentrics in NY come out of the woodwork for matinees.

ETA: Marge - from where I was sitting in the Dress Circle, it looked to me like Cojocaru deliberately stabbed herself or ran into the sword blade, so I thought this Giselle definitely killed herself. I think there is also some history to the idea that going mad for the love of a boy and driving yourself insane is a form of suicide. I'm sure others more familiar with the history of the ballet can comment further.

kwanfan1818
05-22-2012, 04:32 PM
ETA: Marge - from where I was sitting in the Dress Circle, it looked to me like Cojocaru deliberately stabbed herself or ran into the sword blade, so I thought this Giselle definitely killed herself. I think there is also some history to the idea that going mad for the love of a boy and driving yourself insane is a form of suicide. I'm sure others more familiar with the history of the ballet can comment further.
That her grave is by the edge of the woods instead of in the community graveyard is the reason for thinking that she's killed herself. It was not in the original (early Romantic period) scenario that she killed herself with the sword: she takes the sword and tries to kill herself. (In the back of my mind, there's a fuzzy memory that Berthe takes the sword from her in the original.) . Depending on the production, either Loys or Hilarion snatches the sword away, and then she dies of madness.

Marge: I think all the professional eccentrics in NY come out of the woodwork for matinees.
I remember going to a Wednesday matinee in the '80's when Paris Opera Ballet toured, and the closer on the program was "Le Palais de Cristal". I got a last-minute ticket, and it was in a fancy box, which I shared with a Lady Who Lunched. When Patrick Dupond did his jumps in the Third Movement, she started to scream and clap for him, and the only time her very glassy eyes had focus was when she burned laser beams at me for not joining her in her enthusiasm. (He was good, but NYCB fans usually don't shriek during "Symphony in C" as if Elvis suddenly showed up on stage.)

emason
05-22-2012, 05:40 PM
I remember going to a Wednesday matinee in the '80's when Paris Opera Ballet toured, and the closer on the program was "Le Palais de Cristal". I got a last-minute ticket, and it was in a fancy box, which I shared with a Lady Who Lunched. When Patrick Dupond did his jumps in the Third Movement, she started to scream and clap for him, and the only time her very glassy eyes had focus was when she burned laser beams at me for not joining her in her enthusiasm. (He was good, but NYCB fans usually don't shriek during "Symphony in C" as if Elvis suddenly showed up on stage.)

Well, you and Marge have heard some of my ballet war stories; we really can find them, can't we? Or rather, they really can find us.

kwanfan1818
05-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Semionova just signed with ABT:
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/24/russian-dancer-signs-with-american-ballet-theater/?ref=arts

Marge_Simpson
05-25-2012, 05:40 AM
Excellent news. :)

This week's TimeOut NY has a nice interview with Joaquin De Luz. Who happens to be my favorite man at NYCB (muy guapo!) I've heard many rumors about why he left ABT, but either they were, indeed, only rumors, or Joaquin is extremely diplomatic. But he comes across as a charming guy.

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/dance/joaquin-de-luz

Is anyone up for La Bayadere Friday evening?
Let me know!

kwanfan1818
05-25-2012, 06:03 AM
muy guapo is right.

I'd love to see him dance Flamenco. I'd love to see his mother dance Flamenco.

ballettmaus
05-25-2012, 06:18 AM
Semionova just signed with ABT:
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/24/russian-dancer-signs-with-american-ballet-theater/?ref=arts

I'm sad to lose her in Berlin and see her more or less regularly but it is SO deserved!
That's the girl who was told she didn't have the right body and was deemed not good enough by the Bolshoi ballet school...

Rob
05-25-2012, 06:41 PM
Who am I seeing in Coppelia next week - I am so out of touch with Bolshoi outside of Osipova Vassiliev.

Thu., May 31 at 7:30 p.m. and Sat., Jun. 2 at 1:30 p.m.
Swanilda: Anastasia Stashkevich
Franz: Vyacheslav Lopatin
Dr. Coppelius: Alexey Loparevich
Czardas: Kristina Karaseva, Vitaly Biktimirov

They look quite fabulous - I am excited. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqNFQTjkKWQ

Cheylana
05-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Can I pick the brains of the experts here? :) Trying to decide which ballet productions to see this year -- are any of these good/recommended (in general, or ABT's version in particular)?

- The Bright Stream (5/22-28)
- Onegin (6/4-9)
- Australian Ballet's performance of "Swan Lake" or mixed bill (later in June at Lincoln Center)

Very grateful for your thoughts!

Marge_Simpson
05-25-2012, 07:09 PM
Rob, when are you coming back to NYC? :)

AFAIK, Osipova and Vasilev left the Bolshoi Ballet last year.

A lot of people are gutted about tonight's performance - Veronica Part is replacing Diana Vishneva. I'm fine with it; I like Veronica.

Cheylana, the casting doesn't matter for Bright Stream, IMO. I am supposed to see Onegin on June 8 but I am going to try and exchange it for the 4th and see NYCB on the 8th instead. I'll let you know what date I end up with and maybe we can meet up at last.

I hate ABT's Swan Lake and refuse to see it again. (Unless all the men get injured and they beg Jose Carreno to step in as a last-minute replacement :) ) I might consider seeing the Australian Ballet's SL, does anyone know what version they do?