PDA

View Full Version : NY Ballet fans

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36

emason
05-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Is anyone going to see ABT's "Giselle" on the 19th? I'm going to the 8PM performance with Vishneva, Gomes, and Semionova.
If anyone wants to meet for dinner or drinks beforehand, say the word. And let me know if I should bring cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery. :)

I'm going on the 17th to see Cojocaru and Corella; we'll have to compare notes after we have both been.

ETA: Unless I break down and buy a ticket for the 19th also; there are still seats left. Where are you sitting?

Marge_Simpson
05-13-2012, 06:28 PM
I'm going on the 17th to see Cojocaru and Corella; we'll have to compare notes after we have both been.

ETA: Unless I break down and buy a ticket for the 19th also; there are still seats left. Where are you sitting?

I'm in the orchestra this year. Normally I have a subscription in the GT boxes, but I was massively peeved after ABT sent me the discount offer for NEW subscribers. No discounts for faithful subscribers of 20 years. :mad:
My very kind coworker became a new subscriber. ;) And so I have upgraded to the orchestra. I'm in a different seat for each performance because I swapped out most of my tickets.

Let me know what you come up with and we can meet up again. :)

IceAlisa
05-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Are you in NYC? It's at the IFC (6th Ave and West 3rd)

In San Francisco. It's playing here too, turns out. Really want to see it.

Aceon6
05-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Balletomanes, tell me I'm not imagining things. In addition to the ads for the new documentary "First Position", I think I've seen some ads for a series on one of the cable channels that follows either senior level ballet students or corps members. Does anyone recall such a thing? If you do, when does it start and where? Thanks.

skatesindreams
05-13-2012, 08:58 PM
I think that this is what you are looking for:

"Breaking Pointe":
This unfiltered look at one of the most competitive ballet companies in the country premieres Thursday, May 31 at 8/7c on The CW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOXN3jMJ9fs
http://www.eonline.com/news/watch_with_kristin/first_look_cws_breaking_pointe_not_your/315488
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogstv/53880791-63/ballet-breaking-lake-pointe.html.csp

emason
05-13-2012, 09:47 PM
In San Francisco. It's playing here too, turns out. Really want to see it.

Time Warner Cable also currently has it On Demand. Check your cable service; you might get lucky.

IceAlisa
05-14-2012, 06:55 AM
Time Warner Cable also currently has it On Demand. Check your cable service; you might get lucky.

Thanks, I will! :)

kwanfan1818
05-15-2012, 12:47 AM
I can't wait to see "Breaking Pointe". I have friends who know the Adam Sklute, the Artistic Director of Ballet West, and they have nothing but good things to say about him.

emason
05-18-2012, 04:51 AM
OK, ABT/Giselle fans: I'm just back from seeing Cojocaru and Corella. He was good; she was seriously great. There is nothing else to say; Cojocaru as Giselle = seriously great.

ballettmaus
05-18-2012, 09:08 AM
Is anyone going to see ABT's "Giselle" on the 19th? I'm going to the 8PM performance with Vishneva, Gomes, and Semionova.

I loved Semionova in Giselle but I saw her as Giselle. One of my favorites for her, along with Tatiana in Onegin and Manon in Manon. Wish I'd seen her in Romeo and Juliet.
On a side note, she's leaving the Berlin Ballet, no news yet where's she going though or if she's going anywhere in the first place or will take a break to start a family, maybe.

emason
05-21-2012, 03:33 AM
OK, dance fans, tonight I went to see the documentary, Joffrey: Mavericks of American Dance. The archival footage had me drooling, Kevin McKenzie managed to string together 3 coherent sentences, and those gods of 70s dancing, Gary Chryst and Christian Holder, are as smoking' hot as ever. Apparently PBS will be showing it in the fall as part of their American Masters series.

Highly recommended!

skatesindreams
05-21-2012, 08:00 PM
I'll watch for it on PBS.

Rob
05-21-2012, 08:29 PM
OK, ABT/Giselle fans: I'm just back from seeing Cojocaru and Corella. He was good; she was seriously great. There is nothing else to say; Cojocaru as Giselle = seriously great.

I had a friend in the hospital in NY (heart surgery) so I went up to see her this weekend and snuck out and saw Osipova/Hallberg in Giselle. Osipova= also seriously great. Her jumps -HUGE, Floating, and absolutely silent landings. Mad scene made us cry. Hallberg- amazing, but not as convincing in his acting.

Sorry I didn't call anyone, but I didn't have free time outside of seeing this and my friend.

The Corps - awful. Out of line, all off time. I thought Bayadere was bad, but this might have been worse. Someone must tell them they must dance on the beat of the music if they are to be together. No nuances no extra balancing. You are corps, not soloists! Sheesh Kevin. Mary Day would be rolling in her grave.

Marge - how was Vishneva? I wish I had seen all 3. The review indicates they were all amazing, in different ways.

Thinking about a pop up to see Onegin with Vishneva on Monday the 4th.

emason
05-21-2012, 09:51 PM
The Corps - awful. Out of line, all off time. I thought Bayadere was bad, but this might have been worse. Someone must tell them they must dance on the beat of the music if they are to be together. No nuances no extra balancing. You are corps, not soloists! Sheesh Kevin. Mary Day would be rolling in her grave.

Agreed - corps is/was not great, and don't get me started on what a snoozer the Peasant Pas in Act I was. When Bathilde's icy demeanor and red dress steal the scene, you know you are in trouble.

Cojocaru was a megastar, everything else was seriously meh.

Rob
05-21-2012, 09:58 PM
Agreed - corps is/was not great, and don't get me started on what a snoozer the Peasant Pas in Act I was. When Bathilde's icy demeanor and red dress steal the scene, you know you are in trouble.

Cojocaru was a megastar, everything else was seriously meh.

Who did Peasant Pas? Mine was a snooze too. Misty Copeland has nice feet and lines, but her dancing is somewhat wobbly/disjointed and her arms/hands were more latin dance than peasant pas. Craig Salstein - what does Kevin see in him? Bent legs, dangly feet. Even his pas de chats were bad. Peasant Pas needs to be charming. This wasn't.

Moyna and Zulma (2 solo wilis) were Hee Seo and Isabella Boylston - good dancers, but dancing to their own tempo in the group scenes. I have never seen another company that has names for these parts - we used to call them, Moyna and Zulma, the 2 Wilis from New Jersey.

Stella Abrera was a good Myrtha.

I have never seen Cojocaru live. I need to.