PDA

View Full Version : NY Ballet fans

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

Rob
05-25-2011, 08:22 PM
However, you nailed the problem with your comment above about Carreno. The Boy with the Matted Hair needs to be danced by someone with charisma and stage presence - think Baryshnikov or Fernando Bujones. Salstein is not ready for this role yet; he wasn't projecting, there was no star power there.

I saw it in the mid 70s with Baryshnikov/Kirkland. There is also some spotty video of Anthony Dowell with maybe Merle Park (I think) from the 60s. Never my favorite but I didn't think it was so weird (but there was a lot of weird being trotted out back then).

My friends and I call Kevin "the Crypt Keeper" because of his love of restoring old ballets that don't necessarily need restoring. He probably got that from our teacher - she was quite the historian herself.

More Misha -- The best part of the movie The Turning Point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlPZSAURSb8

Jenny
05-25-2011, 08:25 PM
More Misha -- The best part of the movie The Turning Point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlPZSAURSb8

I loved that movie back in the day, and recently watched an old VHS copy. Still such a good movie, with great acting and great dancing.

Sadly the only DVDs available right now are used, and very, very expensive. Given all the interest in dance these days, you'd think they'd reissue it - must be caught up in rights or something.

emason
05-25-2011, 10:28 PM
My friends and I call Kevin "the Crypt Keeper" because of his love of restoring old ballets that don't necessarily need restoring.

LOL at the Crypt Keeper. However, we have to agree to disagree on restoring the old ballets. This is Ballet Theatre, after all, and I think they need to keep revisiting the theatre pieces from their past. I enjoy seeing the revivals; unfortunately just not this one, and I really wonder how much losing their star, Cornejo, affected the outcome.

I'm curious to see what kind of a review this gets from the Times - a pan or a crack cocaine I loved it review. Considering there were two world premieres and one US premiere on the program in addition to Shadowplay, there should be a review.

emason
05-25-2011, 10:31 PM
I loved that movie back in the day, and recently watched an old VHS copy. Still such a good movie, with great acting and great dancing.

Sadly the only DVDs available right now are used, and very, very expensive. Given all the interest in dance these days, you'd think they'd reissue it - must be caught up in rights or something.

Do you have Netflix? They have it available as streaming video.

Gazpacho
05-26-2011, 06:50 AM
Watch out, Uliana Lopatkina cuz here comes Vladimir Malakhov's version of the Dying Swan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaRj8hgULl8&feature=related

:PWhile we're at it, here's the Chinese men's gymnastics team's version of Swan Lake (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1spqCzb0VM) :rofl:

Marge_Simpson
05-26-2011, 07:21 AM
Check out the Trocks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfKdC6SYcnM

Holley Calmes
05-26-2011, 01:21 PM
God I love the Trocks! I've seen them a few times live...and I have all the respect in the world for their athleticism AND their "interpretation." Thanks for that, Marge. That started my day off on the right note! LOVE the little swan on the right end....and the pas de chats that look like pouncing puppies! And the head noodles.....

My pre-pro company had a young man as a guest male dancer for Nutcracker one year who turned out to be a very big deal diva in another one of those all male ballet troupes. He was just gorgeous when costumed out as a ballerina and had fabulous feet for pointe! What a riot....I should try to find him online and trot him out for you....

emason
05-26-2011, 02:01 PM
The Trocks are amazing. They very nicely come to the Joyce in NY every other year at the end of December, which is when my birthday is. My birthday outing with my best friend is always a trip to the Trocks.

The thing about them that's really wonderful is that they are actually even funnier the more seriously they take the dancing. Some of their best dancers put the rest of the NY scene to shame. They did a Tarantella a few years ago that was better than what City Ballet does; City Ballet's version hasn't looked that good in years.

Go Trocks.

Holley Calmes
05-26-2011, 03:00 PM
OK, here's the guy who was also our Nutcracker Cavalier, but not dressed like this! Gorgeous legs, eh?

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Marlon+Altoe

Marge_Simpson
05-26-2011, 08:05 PM
If anyone is going to see Diana and Marcelo in "Giselle" tomorrow and wants to meet up, let me know. :)

Rob
05-26-2011, 08:22 PM
LOL at the Crypt Keeper. However, we have to agree to disagree on restoring the old ballets. This is Ballet Theatre, after all, and I think they need to keep revisiting the theatre pieces from their past. I enjoy seeing the revivals; unfortunately just not this one, and I really wonder how much losing their star, Cornejo, affected the outcome.

Oh I like many of the revivals. I do see Cornejo in the role though so I would guess that would have made a difference. But not every ballet is a masterpiece.

Cheylana
05-26-2011, 08:24 PM
I'm curious to see what kind of a review this gets from the Times - a pan or a crack cocaine I loved it review. Considering there were two world premieres and one US premiere on the program in addition to Shadowplay, there should be a review.
You've probably already seen the review by now, but just in case: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/26/arts/dance/american-ballet-theater-at-met-opera-house-review.html?_r=1&ref=dance

Also, apparently Natalie Portman was there:

Audience excitement on opening night was kindled by the presence in the auditorium of the world’s most famous Black Swan in an advance stage of pregnancy. And despite the Met’s vast size and two central aisles, the powers that be decided to place Natalie Portman, the three choreographers and the ballet’s executive director in the seats immediately behind, before and across the aisle from me. I had the feeling that they were all going to say “Come quietly, please, Mr. Macaulay,” and lead me away to ballet prison.
:lol:

emason
05-26-2011, 10:27 PM
You've probably already seen the review by now, but just in case:

I did read it this morning, but thanks for posting. I really don't agree with a lot of what he had to say, but, then again, he has much better seats than I do and in consequence has a whole different view of things.

Sorry, Marge S, but even though Giselle is my favorite ballet, my budget is busted. I do have a ticket later on for Semionova in Swan Lake. That may take the sting out of not seeing any Giselles.

Marge_Simpson
05-27-2011, 12:26 AM
I am seeing that Swan Lake also. Hope to see you again!

emason
05-27-2011, 12:51 AM
I am seeing that Swan Lake also. Hope to see you again!

Between the Swan Lake and the Royal Danish we should meet up at some point. I'm going by myself to the SL, so that should be doable.