PDA

View Full Version : NY Ballet fans

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

Rob
03-26-2012, 03:15 AM
Are individual ABT tix on sale yet or just subscription?

Marge_Simpson
03-26-2012, 03:31 AM
Just subscription for now.

emason
03-26-2012, 01:07 PM
I got yet another brochure from ABT last week. Single tickets go on sale April 1. Haven't decided yet what I am going to try to get.

Marge, what dates are you going?

Marge_Simpson
03-26-2012, 04:00 PM
May 19- Giselle (Vishneva, Gomes, Semionova)
May 25- Bayadere (Vishneve, Gomes, Osipova)
June 8- Onegin (Kent, Bolle)
June 12- Mixed Rep (including Misty's "Firebird")

And W&P at the Guggenheim on April 30

I'm not planning to see Swan Lake (hate ABT's) Romeo and Juliet (don't like anyone's) or Le Corsaire (don't like the casting, altough I may weaken and go on July 4 to see Marcelo topless)

emason
03-26-2012, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the dates; Onegin is at the top of my list. Maybe I'll see if I can get it for that date when single tickets go on sale. I'm also interested in the Mixed Rep.

My W&P is the 29th, so I'll miss you there.

No Swan lake for me (hate ABT'S, like you). The only Romeo and Juliet I ever loved was Cranko's version. Love the music; it's my favorite ballet score, BUT hate every version that's been seen in NY since Cranko except maybe the Bolshoi. I so wish ABT would dump the MacMillan and get a new production, but we all know that isn't happening and we all know why. Le Corsaire - don't hate it, don't love it, but I'm busy stashing away pennies for the opera next season, where I want to go to everything, so dance is suffering.

I also just agreed to go to Paris Opera Ballet for the mixed bill.

Rob
03-26-2012, 07:44 PM
May 19- Giselle (Vishneva, Gomes, Semionova)

I just noticed you can build a 3 pack now so I think I might Giselle-out on May 19 and see both the matinee (Osipova/Hallberg) and the evening, then come back in June to see Onegin or some other time to see Cojocaru.

Marge_Simpson
03-27-2012, 03:23 AM
Let me know what you come up with, Rob. And don't forget, I owe you a dinner. :)

kwanfan1818
03-27-2012, 05:46 AM
Cojocaru :swoon:

I wish I could be there to see her, the Ratmansky "Firebird", "The Bright Stream", and Hallberg's "Apollo". But I just depressed myself even more by looking at the rest of the Bolshoi season in Moscow and Mariinsky season through mid-May, argh.

kwanfan1818
03-28-2012, 01:42 AM
Angel Corella Ballet has changed its name to Barcelona Ballet, and they'll be at City Center from 17-20 April in a mixed bill:

Bruch Violin Concerto. ABT used to perform this ballet by Clark Tippett, and there's an old ABT VHS which starts with Natalia Makarova in a gown doing intros which ends (IIRC) with the company performing the last movement of this ballet.

For 4. A Christopher Wheeldon piece made for the Kings of the Dance program Corella danced in with Stiefel, Kobborg, and Tsiskaridze.

Palpito. A ballet/Spanish classical dance fusion by Rojas and Rodriguez, who liked Pages "Solea" piece for Corella and his sister and are creating something similar for the entire company.

http://www.nycitycenter.org/tickets/productionNew.aspx?performanceNumber=6429#programs

There's a video at the link above with Corella introducing the works.

Here's an interview in which Corella talks about the change and what is going on with the company:
http://www.balletymas.com/balletymas/ballet/noticia.jsp?id=570&accion=noticia

kwanfan1818
04-04-2012, 06:37 PM
It's official: ABT has issued a press release announcing Angel Corella's retirement from the company.

Angel Corella, Principal Dancer with American Ballet Theatre, has announced he will retire from the Company after the 2012 Metropolitan Opera House season in New York City. Corella will give his farewell performance in the role of Prince Siegfried in Swan Lake on Thursday, June 28, 2012, dancing opposite Paloma Herrera as Odette/Odile.

emason
04-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Oddly enough, he has never been my favorite dancer, but I bought a ticket to Cocojaru's Giselle and I believe he is the Albrecht for that. I must be psychic.

ioana
04-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Angel Corella Ballet has changed its name to Barcelona Ballet, and they'll be at City Center from 17-20 April in a mixed bill:

http://www.nycitycenter.org/tickets/productionNew.aspx?performanceNumber=6429#programs

There's a video at the link above with Corella introducing the works.

Thanks! My friend and I are going to the April 20th show...Just saw For 4 done by the Boston Ballet last month, so it will be interesting to look at a diferent version. And the Spanish piece at the end sounds :kickass:

Marge_Simpson
04-06-2012, 07:04 AM
I'm attending that performance too. Shall we meet up at intermission? :)

I'm honestly not a huge Corella fan, but I saw his company when they were here last time, and was very favorably impressed.

ioana
04-09-2012, 01:46 PM
I'm attending that performance too. Shall we meet up at intermission? :)

Meeting up during intermission would be lovely. Will pm you my phone number so we could have a better chance of finding each other in the intermission mob :lol:

DustPuppyOI
04-22-2012, 08:44 PM
With the ABT Opening Night announced (http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/season/production.aspx?id=11873&type=OpeningNight) and including Osipova and Vasiliev dancing Flames of Paris PDD, here's one of their latest performances while they were still at the Bolshoi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxPPsxriydw