PDA

View Full Version : NY Ballet fans

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

Rob
01-12-2012, 07:52 PM
#1 on my list is Onegin; I love the Cranko choreography and it hasn't been seen in NY since the year of the flood.

I love Cranko's Onegin too. Haven't seen it in years.

June 4th and 7th Onegin casting -- I might give a shot to coming up one of those days because i have never seen Vishneva live and Osipova is also dancing. Or can I stand 2 Giselle's in a day on May 19 - Osipova Hallberg matinee with Vishneva at night.

Marge_Simpson
01-13-2012, 05:31 AM
June 4th and 7th Onegin casting -- I might give a shot to coming up one of those days because i have never seen Vishneva live and Osipova is also dancing. Or can I stand 2 Giselle's in a day on May 19 - Osipova Hallberg matinee with Vishneva at night.

Oh, do! We can have dinner or drinks before the ballet. :)

kwanfan1818
01-16-2012, 11:49 PM
There's not a lot of extended dancing in this clip, but Jane Bourne is staging "Onegin" for San Francisco Ballet, and she shot a short video to explain the story, and it has rehearsal clips with two of the Tatiana/Onegin couples: Maria Kochetkova and :swoon: Vitor Luiz and Yuan Yuan Tan and Ruben Martin Cintas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxTVAP_tog4

kwanfan1818
01-23-2012, 06:03 PM
ABT just announced that Ethan Stiefel will retire from the company on 7 July 2012 in "Le Corsaire".

His performances have been sporadic for a few years, and he took over as Artistic Directory of New Zealand Ballet, so this shouldn't come as a surprise.

emason
01-23-2012, 11:58 PM
ABT just announced that Ethan Stiefel will retire from the company on 7 July 2012 in "Le Corsaire".

His performances have been sporadic for a few years, and he took over as Artistic Directory of New Zealand Ballet, so this shouldn't come as a surprise.

No surprise at all, but thanks for posting.

Marge_Simpson
01-24-2012, 05:53 AM
Not a surprise, given all the injuries he's had. I won't be attending his farewell performance, though. I really have no desire to see him topless. :eek:

kwanfan1818
02-02-2012, 12:49 AM
Good news for ballet fans: former Mariinsky First Soloist Evgenia Obratzsova has joined the Bolshoi Ballet as a Principal Dancer. Hopefully, this means North Americans will see her on tour.

The Bolshoi is Japan until 12 February, performing "Swan Lake", "Raymonda", and "Spartacus".

They tour this summer to within striking distance of NYC, bringing

"Swan Lake" to Toronto, 15-19 May at the (ugh) old Hummingbird Centre (meh)
"Don Quixote" to Ottawa, 23-26 May at the National Arts Centre
"Coppelia" to DC, 29 May-3 June at the Kennedy Center

then to LA with "Swan Lake" 7-10 June.

Marge_Simpson
02-02-2012, 08:00 AM
Good news for ballet fans: former Mariinsky First Soloist Evgenia Obratzsova has joined the Bolshoi Ballet as a Principal Dancer. Hopefully, this means North Americans will see her on tour.

The Bolshoi is Japan until 12 February, performing "Swan Lake", "Raymonda", and "Spartacus".

They tour this summer to within striking distance of NYC, bringing

"Swan Lake" to Toronto, 15-19 May at the (ugh) old Hummingbird Centre (meh)
"Don Quixote" to Ottawa, 23-26 May at the National Arts Centre
"Coppelia" to DC, 29 May-3 June at the Kennedy Center

then to LA with "Swan Lake" 7-10 June.

I'd go see them in DC, except I hate Coppelia. Why can't they do Spartacus there? Hmph.

Rob
02-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Bolshoi did Spartacus last year or the year before in DC.

Seeing ABT La Bayadere tonight.

Scintillation
02-02-2012, 04:56 PM
I'm moving to NYC at the end of April and I'm debating whether to buy tickets to see Osipova dance the Firebird. She's the first dancer that has made me want to see a live production in a looong time.

Holley Calmes
02-03-2012, 01:55 AM
Bolshoi did Spartacus last year or the year before in DC.

Seeing ABT La Bayadere tonight.

La Bayadere is my favorite. Please tell us all about it!

(I love Spartacus, too.....the music kills me...)

Rob
02-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Bayadere was pretty good. Veronika Part and Marcelo Gomes were Nikiya and Solor. Both were totally on and gorgeous. Of course, the meat of the roles is in the second act. Part was completely in control in all her turns - she did the arabesque turns with the veil to both the right and left and they were all perfect when she pulled in to passe. She's tall, but her piques were really speedy. Beautiful grand jetes too. Gomes has one big man can, but he has great ballon and his jumps were huge with good landings. Turns were nice and precise. The only spot of trouble was he got her up wrong in the shoulder lift at the end of the pas de deux and she couldn't get her back arched enough so it looked like she was going to fall off. Both had good emotion -- but not overplayed scenery chewing.

The corps de ballet was very good and in unison in the entrance down the ramp, but there was an awful lot of balance loss and shuffling feet in the rest of the Act II opening. Not so great. One girl even had to put her foot down out of arabesque. Big no no. I was seated directly behind ballet mistresses DIVA Irina Kolpakova and Susan Jaffe and there was a lot of tsk tsk going on and furious note taking. The 3 soloists were pretty good though - Sarah Lane (dance double for Natalie Portman in Black Swan), Yuriko Kajiya (very crisp) and Maria Riccetto.

I was not too crazy about Stella Abrera as Gamzatti. She puts on the right cold
b!tchface, but she had a number of stumbles in her turns and was a little brittle looking in the jumps. She did her fouettes (not very whippy) to the left, and a lot of the other choreography did not permit her to switch her right turns to the left so I guess that is why the right turns looked awkward. She has nice enough lines, but she just didn't take the opportunity to give that last bit of stretch that polishes it off.

Bronze Idol was Craig Salstein (subbing for Daniil Simkin). Well, he did it all without any problems, but it just wasn't crisp, his lines are a little messy, and he didn't hang in the air the way I have seen it done in the olden days (Danilo Radojevic, Johann Renvall, Gregory Osborne). It was ok. It didn't make me gasp. I'll have to pull out the old 80s ABT tape and see if I am holding him to too high a standard.

The rest of the corps scenes were pretty good with some nice soloists, but I will grouse at the guys who couldn't get their entrechat six in unison. Unison can be a problem for ABT.

Rob
02-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Belated comments on Mariinsky "Les Saisons Russes" Best news of all is that Kennedy Center and Mariinsky have extended their contract for 10 more years!!!!!

Chopiniana -- Soooo beautiful! I don't have all the cast names, but most of the dancers filled every nuance of the music. It was so supple and quiet - airy jumps with no noisy landings. Balance like they were suspended in air. Daria Pavlenko was amazing in the prelude. Probably the best I have ever seen. One soloist (Oksana Skorik) had some stumbles. But the rest, I could watch 100 times in a row.

Firebird - I was not crazy about Alexandra Iosifidi. It was almost like a caricature of an old world ballerina that I wondered if she was doing it on purpose. Part of the problem for me is that she is very bow legged. Bow legs can make nice lines if they are also a little hyperextended. But she has one hyperextended leg and one that will never straighten all the way. When she goes on pointe on the bent one, it looks like old photos from when pointe shoes weren't very stiff. It was so obvious that I wondered if it was an injury. I found her so different from most of the Mariinsky ballerinas (and was wishing for Kondaurova or Lopatkina). The captive maiden was pretty and the Prince Alexander Romanchikov was really charismatic and very good. The sets and costumes weren't true to history and that bothers some -- I found them kind of wild and fun, but the evil sorcerer looked like a cross between Dr. Evil and a bad Halloween costume.

Scheherezade is really not much of a dance piece by today's standards -- it is more of a theatre spectacle. But Kondaurova was sooooo gorgeous in her gyrations that it was fun to watch.

emason
02-04-2012, 03:50 AM
Bronze Idol was Craig Salstein (subbing for Daniil Simkin). Well, he did it all without any problems, but it just wasn't crisp, his lines are a little messy, and he didn't hang in the air the way I have seen it done in the olden days (Danilo Radojevic, Johann Renvall, Gregory Osborne). It was ok. It didn't make me gasp. I'll have to pull out the old 80s ABT tape and see if I am holding him to too high a standard.

The rest of the corps scenes were pretty good with some nice soloists, but I will grouse at the guys who couldn't get their entrechat six in unison. Unison can be a problem for ABT.

Radojevic and Renvall (don't know Osborne) were superb; not too high a standard at all.

Unison always seems to be a problem for ABT; under-rehearsed always comes to mind when I see ABT these days.

Rob
02-04-2012, 05:02 AM
Radojevic and Renvall (don't know Osborne) were superb; not too high a standard at all.

Unison always seems to be a problem for ABT; under-rehearsed always comes to mind when I see ABT these days.

You might have seen Greg Osborne in Glen Tetley ballets or after he left ABT, with National Ballet of Canada.

ITA on under - rehearsed. When I saw ABT's Sleeping Beauty a few years ago, 3 soloist girls could not get close to unison.