PDA

View Full Version : NY Ballet fans

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

IceAlisa
12-22-2011, 07:59 AM
Oh Yuan Yuan Tan is heavenly. She is the best thing that happened to SF Ballet, ever IMO.

Sadly, she wasn't performing tonight. :(

Marge_Simpson
12-22-2011, 08:48 AM
Have you seen "Othello" with Yuan Yuan and Desmond Richardson?
I borrowed it from the library so often I finally broke down and bought my own copy.
I saw Desmond Richardson several weeks ago with "Complexions", btw. I enjoyed seeing the company but I was dissapointed with him. I thought he'd do something memorable since it's supposed to be his last year with the company. He was in an interesting piece called "What Come, Thereafter" with rather bombastic live piano music. As best I could figure out, he was supposed to be some sort of modern-day Puck, but he barely danced. He just posed a lot, showing off his (admittedly amazing) physique and flapping his arms around.
Hmph.

Marge_Simpson
01-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Heads-up for Paul Taylor fans:
They have added an extra performance at Lincoln Center on March 13th; all seats are $3.50. Not a typo! $3.50.
Info here:
http://haglundsheel.typepad.com/haglunds_heel/2012/01/paul-taylor-dance-company-special-anniversary-performance-on-march-13th-with-all-tix-350.html

kwanfan1818
01-06-2012, 07:59 PM
"Aureole" is one of Taylor's classic works, right up there with "Esplanade"

Here's a short clip from a Harvard student performance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rteGDbQyxpk

The dynamics aren't there, but it's a general idea of what it's like.

Marge_Simpson
01-07-2012, 04:43 AM
I've seen all 4 of these pieces many times (I'm a huge Paul Taylor fan)
"Aureole" is lovely, but "Troilus and Cressida (reduced)" is just hysterically funny and one of my favorites.
Taylor has done a lot of rather demented pieces; it makes me wonder if he choreographs after he's been imbibing strong beverages. :lol:

Marge_Simpson
01-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Heads-up for ABT fans: tickets for Works & Process at the Guggenheim went on sale today. These sell out quickly, so order ASAP if you are interested. Info here:

http://www.guggenheim.org/new-york/education/works-and-process/events-schedule

kwanfan1818
01-09-2012, 07:24 PM
For anyone who is interested in seeing the evolution of the last notated Petipa versions of variations and pas de deux from "Sleeping Beauty" and "Swan Lake" compared to the "After Petipa" versions (which we often see today), Doug Fullington does an excellent presentation which will be part of the Works & Process series in May. (He presented it in Seattle last Fall.)

For last year's presentation on "Giselle", he brought Carla Korbes, Seth Orza, Carrie Imler, and James Moore, and it's likely that some former-NYCB-now-PNB dancers will be demonstrating.

IceAlisa
01-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Going to see Onegin by SF Ballet in a few weeks. Hoping and praying for Yuan Yuan Tan in the lead. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

Rob
01-09-2012, 09:56 PM
I am seeing the Mariinsky's Fokine program next Thursday:

PRINCIPAL CASTING (subject to change)
Chopiniana
Mazurka, Seventh waltz: Oxana Skoryk
Eleventh waltz: Yana Selina
Prelude: Daria Pavlenko
Nocturne, Mazurka: Maxim Zyuzin

The Firebird
The Firebird: Alexandra Iosifidi
Ivan-Tsarevich: Alexander Romanchikov
The Princess of Great Beauty: Ekaterina Mukhailovtseva
Kashchei the Immortal: Soslan Kulaev

Scheherazade
Zobeide: Ekaterina Kondaurova
Zobeide's Slave: Evgeny Ivanchenko
Sultan Shahriyar: Vladimir Ponomarev

Marge_Simpson
01-10-2012, 12:38 AM
Ooh, please give a review.

emason
01-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the Guggenheim, Marge. I purchased ABT for Sunday, April 29 and Pacific Northwest for Sunday, May 13. Will I be seeing you there?

Marge_Simpson
01-11-2012, 06:47 AM
Alas, no. :( I purchased tickets for Monday, as I'm working those Sundays.
But hopefully we'll meet up during the MET season. I did not renew my subscription this year. I was SO irritated when I got the special offer in the mail - for NEW subscribers. That's all well and good, but what about giving a discount to the faithful fans who have been subscribing for 25 years?
I was grumbling about this to my coworker, who then offered to sign up as a new subscriber. :) So I'll be in the orchestra this season. Then I called ABT and informed them exactly why I wasn't renewing my subscription. :HA!:

emason
01-12-2012, 12:55 AM
Alas, no. :( I purchased tickets for Monday, as I'm working those Sundays.
But hopefully we'll meet up during the MET season. I did not renew my subscription this year. I was SO irritated when I got the special offer in the mail - for NEW subscribers. That's all well and good, but what about giving a discount to the faithful fans who have been subscribing for 25 years?
I was grumbling about this to my coworker, who then offered to sign up as a new subscriber. :) So I'll be in the orchestra this season. Then I called ABT and informed them exactly why I wasn't renewing my subscription. :HA!:

Good for you. I'm not renewing my subscription either (which was a trio, not a quad, which is what they want me to renew). When single tickets go on sale, I'll try to get what I really want to see. #1 on my list is Onegin; I love the Cranko choreography and it hasn't been seen in NY since the year of the flood.

Marlowe
01-12-2012, 08:24 AM
And it's online!!

Sleeping Beauty (Bolshoi, 2011) Zakharova/Hallberg (http://balletoman.com/video/707-sleeping-beauty-zaharova-hallberg.html)

beepbeep, this IS the best thing ever. THANK YOU!

Why didn't I know this even existed? Fabulous!

Marge_Simpson
01-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Another heads-up: tickets are on sale for the YAGP; it's at the Koch this year, not City Center. I'm undecided about going to the gala this time around; last year's was the dullest I've ever attended. Not many dancers confirmed yet. Though if Jose Carreno decides to partcipate, I will buy a ticket ASAP. Info here:

http://tickets.davidhkochtheater.com/single/psDetail.aspx?psn=2710