PDA

View Full Version : NY Ballet fans

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

IceAlisa
10-19-2011, 12:36 AM
Slightly off topic but still ballet related: Polina Semionova got married some time this summer, I would assume. Since she definitely didn't get married in Berlin or anywhere in Germany.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.10150319742698100.335754.8786988099&type=3

Congrats to her! Any idea who the lucky guy is?

The one this time was even tinier, but IIRC it entered in her arms, was put on the ground and left the scene pretty quickly, then reappeared in her arms on the bedroom scene.

Aww, sounds cute.

kwanfan1818
10-19-2011, 02:02 AM
I don't know who was in the ABT presentation, but if there aren't any union issues, they would have filmed it, and it probably will be posted eventually.

I just watched the "How Judges Judge -- Youth America Grand Prix" video, in which three YAGP judges allegedly simulate the judging process at the YAGP competition, when it's more much more like American Idol or SYTYCDC, where the judges say nice things with a few corrections about three soloists performing a modern and then a classical solo, followed by pas de deux. I thought Adam Sklute was going to kill the moderator who kept asking when the judges would hire or give scholarships to the dancers on view. However, the judges were much more critical of the "Coppelia" pas de deux, which was much more useful, although I was very impressed with the 15-year-old boy, who has a lot of height to adjust to. He took his role as a partner very seriously. I didn't understand the tongue bath of the amateurish, pedestrian modern pas.

Some of the young dancers already did very well at the competition: 12-year-old Aran Bell won the top prize in his age group (he was then in the youngest group), Derek Dunn was a Junior champion, and Mika Fogarty was a junior finalist.

Bell and Fogarty were two dancers featured in the new documentary "First Position", which is playing at the NY Documentary Festival on 5 November down at NYU.

In the documentary, Bell's teacher, Denys Ganio, a former etoile at Paris Opera Ballet, said that a teacher is lucky to get two or three great talents in a career: he had his son, who joined POB at 20 (and is now an etoile), and now he has Bell, who is hoping to get a scholarship to POB when he's older.

I thought the 15-year-old, Derek Dunn is extremely talented, both in his modern solo and in the Bournonville. Pacific Northwest Ballet is a short company, and hope Peter Boal looks at this guy when he's a little older. I think he's the real deal. Bell might be, but he's got to pass puberty first. (His parents have the right body types, which is very hopeful.)

The 19-year-old woman, Niara (Nyara?) Lopez was, at best, polite in her modern solo, with a little more life in her Esmeralda solo at ~ 46", but not that much more.
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13164978

However, the best Esmeralda solo may be here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdiQvyWQo2o

emason
10-19-2011, 02:24 AM
Last night John Meehan was the moderator asking questions of the interviewees who were:

Kevin McKenzie; Demis Volpi, Stacey Cadell and another woman whose name I didn't catch. One of the women sets Twyla Tharp ballets and the other sets Merce Cunningham ones. Demis Volpi is a young dance and choreographer; I really liked the look we got at his work.

Apologies to anyone whose name I spelled wrong and apologies for not getting all the names.

kwanfan1818
10-19-2011, 02:27 AM
Stacey Caddell danced with Tharp after she left NYCB as a soloist, and she staged "In the Upper Room" for PNB.

Were there dancers from ABT as well?

emason
10-19-2011, 02:33 AM
Yes, there were. They did a short section from In The Upper Room, worked on the duet in Volpi's Private Light and worked on Cunningham's Duet. I didn't get all the names and because I was watching the live feed on my little computer screen I didn't really recognize anyone.

Marge_Simpson will help us out, I hope.

kwanfan1818
10-19-2011, 02:35 AM
Hmmm, then they'd probably have to get the dancer's union and Twyla Tharp to agree to filming and releasing to the website.

Marge_Simpson: did you see cameras there?

Marge_Simpson
10-19-2011, 03:47 AM
Yes, they always film the W&P things, you can view them at the performing arts library near Lincoln Center.

John Meehan was the moderator, he has a lovely voice. (He moderated the last ABT W&P that I went to, the topic of that one was career transitions for dancers. Thankfully Kevin sat that one out. :lol:)

He spoke first with Kevin, about the Met season vs the City Center season, how Kevin got involved w/ Volpi, and how he picked the pieces that ABT performs at CC. Kevin rambled on in his usual incoherent style.

He then spoke with Stacy Cadell, the repetiteur for Twyla Tharp, about staging "In the Upper Room". Gillian Murphy, Luciana Paris, Blaine Hoven, Sean Stewart and Patrick Ogle (aka Tattoo Man) performed exerpts.

Next up was Patricia Lent, who spoke about staging the Cunningham pieces. She did some on-stage coaching of the "Duets" pdd with Craig Salstein and Isabella Boylston (no music) and then they repeated it with the music.
Craig seems to have lost a bit of weight and has a new haircut, he looked pretty cute, actually. The last time I saw him he looked rather pudgy.

Next he spoke at length with Demis Volpi, who I am now in love with. Demis did some on-stage coaching with Cory Stearns and Simone Messmer (no music) and then they ran through it with the music. I'm in love with this piece, I'm thinking of trying to get some time off from work so I can see it more than once.

I really enjoy the W&P presentations, because the auditorium is so small and you see the dancers up close. It's fascinating to me to watch the partnering at such close quarters; you can see all the efffort and skill it takes. You can also hear it, being so close; Simone was huffing and puffing like crazy throughout. But if you couldn't hear her and just looked at her face, she made it look so easy. They got the biggest round of applause of the evening.

For the finale, Gillian, Luciana, Misty Copeland, Blaine, Sean and Tattoo Man did another excerpt from "In the Upper Room". Misty looked gorgeous, btw.

Afterwards was the reception with the usual: finger sandwiches, nuts, oatmeal cookies, wine and sparkling water. Sometimes the dancers join the crowd at the reception, but last night none of them did.
At the last one I went to, Jose Carreno and Melanie Hamrick came out and chatted with everyone, but I did not dare approach him. I probably would have tripped and poked out his eye or something.
The only dancer I've ever spoken to at one of these things is Jose Sebastien, who was in ABT II at the time but is now in the corps. He told me all about his low-carb diet while he swilled all the nuts on the table.

ballettmaus
10-19-2011, 07:16 AM
Congrats to her! Any idea who the lucky guy is?

No... She used to date a dancer from the corps de ballet. Can't say for sure, but it looks like it could be the same guy. Don't remember his name though.

emason
10-19-2011, 03:42 PM
I just went off to check on what's on the program the night I am going to ABT, Thursday, Nov. 10th. My friend and I picked it because she really wants to see the Cunningham Duets, but, yay, we are getting the new Volpi also. Can't wait to see what the finished product looks like.

Rob
10-19-2011, 07:52 PM
Did anyone ever see John Meehan on Love Boat with Starr Danias?

emason
10-19-2011, 07:57 PM
Did anyone ever see John Meehan on Love Boat with Starr Danias?

No, more's the pity. Dang.

beepbeep
10-21-2011, 12:20 AM
And Balletoman has it on youtube!

La Esmeralda (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUts2-76prw)
You can see the goat roaming around on the stage before the curtain opens

Rob
10-24-2011, 11:12 PM
John Meehan is an old friend so I emailed him told him about the nice things said here about his public speaking. He was pleased. He also says he is moderating another one Sunday and Monday (10/30 and 10/31) at 7:30 with choreographer Larry Keigwin: http://www.guggenheim.org/new-york/education/works-and-process/events-schedule
I don't know his company but it sounds interesting.

emason
10-24-2011, 11:58 PM
John Meehan is an old friend so I emailed him told him about the nice things said here about his public speaking. He was pleased. He also says he is moderating another one Sunday and Monday (10/30 and 10/31) at 7:30 with choreographer Larry Keigwin: http://www.guggenheim.org/new-york/education/works-and-process/events-schedule
I don't know his company but it sounds interesting.

Thanks for letting us know. If my friend goes on Monday maybe I will go with her; otherwise I will see if I can watch from home again. Meehan definitely made a good moderator.

IceAlisa
10-26-2011, 05:37 AM
Ballet-related news: Bolshoi to re-open after remodeling. Pics here: http://news.yahoo.com/photos/russia-s-bolshoi-theatre-set-for-grand-reopening-1319556669-slideshow/visitors-walk-newly-refurbished-foyer-moscows-bolshoi-theatre-photo-143829526.html

Looks nice!