PDA

View Full Version : NY Ballet fans

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

emason
10-17-2011, 06:25 PM
Marge,

Thanks for the heads up.

Marge_Simpson
10-17-2011, 06:38 PM
Warning: If Kevin is there, he is not easy to listen to. He typically says things like this: "Well, err, yes, our new season, err, umm, well, we are doing some new, umm, err, things."
Sometimes we get lucky and they just send Wes. :lol:

emason
10-17-2011, 06:40 PM
Warning: If Kevin is there, he is not easy to listen to. He typically says things like this: "Well, err, yes, our new season, err, umm, well, we are doing some new, umm, err, things."
Sometimes we get lucky and they just send Wes. :lol:

Marge, please - I nearly choked on a handful of peanuts reading this.

Marge_Simpson
10-17-2011, 06:42 PM
But I'm not exaggerating. Seriously!

emason
10-17-2011, 06:48 PM
But I'm not exaggerating. Seriously!

I really will try to give a look see tonight. Should be interesting (and entertaining).

emason
10-18-2011, 02:02 AM
Thanks again so much for the link; I really enjoyed watching and you captured Kevin's speaking style very accurately. He does not come off well next to the polished John Meehan.

kwanfan1818
10-18-2011, 02:08 AM
One thig I missed: the Esmeralda variation. I was so sure it was going to be there, but apparently not. Why is it called the Esmeralda variation if it's not on "La Esmeralda" (ignorant minds want to know...:P)

The Bolshoi has been going back to the notation from 1899-1903, among other sources, for a some of their productions, including "Esmeralda". (The original was done by Perrot in St. Petersburg in the 1940's, with Petipa doing his version in the 1880's. The composer also tweaked the score for various versions.

It looks like Esmeralda didn't hold her tambourine overhead and kick it with her toe shoe in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

Marge_Simpson
10-18-2011, 04:14 AM
Demis Volpi is a sweetie. If I wasn't old enough to be his mom, I could have had some very naughty thoughts about him. ;)
His new piece is apparently called "Private Light" and was made on Simone Messmer and Cory Sterns, who demonstrated it tonight. All I can say is "wow".
Random snarks/comments:
The dancers don't wear stage makeup at these things. Gillian Murphy looked horrid without it; very anemic looking. Misty, OTOH, looked gorgeous.
Patrick Ogle, who has many tattoos, was one of the guys who did the topless bits from "In the Upper Room". I have no objections to visible tattoos in modern pieces, but the one that starts near his navel is just too distracting. I kept wondering how far down his groin that darn thing went.
Kevin looks like he has had his hair touched up.
Why doesn't the Guggenheim get some different food for the reception afterwards? It's nice that they provide food, of course, but the sandwiches and cookies are always the same. Can't they get chocolate chips instead of oatmeal?
I spotted Blaine Hoven in the Rite Aid on 88th St afterwards, so I got behind him in line to see what he was buying. (hair remover? blister cream? pain pills?) But all he bought was a pack of gum.

IceAlisa
10-18-2011, 05:09 AM
I watched the live transmission of Bolshoi's La Esmeralda on the movies two weeks ago (should have posted sooner, but I couldn't find the thread :D ).
http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/season/press-office/pconf/archiv/index.php?id26=1939

Maria Alexandrova was Esmeralda, Ruslan Skvortsov :smokin: as Pheobus (sp? I don't have the listing with me...) Krysanova as Fleur de Lis, Diana and Acteon performed by Anastasia Stashkevich and Vyacheslav Lopatin.

Just spectacular!!!! Interpretation, dancing... baby goat and all.

I've seen the goat get major stage fright. :scream: I would love to see Osipova live in that role.

kwanfan1818
10-18-2011, 05:16 AM
I thought the goat was a dog :lol:

I thought Denis Savin was wonderful as Gringoire, too.

IceAlisa
10-18-2011, 05:19 AM
Behold the goat with stage fright and Natalia's Esmeralda:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgoglwZ7bK0

ballettmaus
10-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Slightly off topic but still ballet related: Polina Semionova got married some time this summer, I would assume. Since she definitely didn't get married in Berlin or anywhere in Germany.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.10150319742698100.335754.8786988099&type=3

Rob
10-18-2011, 09:30 PM

LOL, poor goat. I loved that someone came and picked him up.

Rob
10-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks again so much for the link; I really enjoyed watching and you captured Kevin's speaking style very accurately. He does not come off well next to the polished John Meehan.

Aw I missed it. Were they both on the Guggenheim show?

beepbeep
10-18-2011, 11:43 PM

The one this time was even tinier, but IIRC it entered in her arms, was put on the ground and left the scene pretty quickly, then reappeared in her arms on the bedroom scene.

I thought the goat was a dog :lol:

I thought Denis Savin was wonderful as Gringoire, too.

:lol:

I thought he was great too. Started off as the silly comic relief, ended a trustworthy friend and companion.

The last scene almost had me in tears, so well played.