PDA

View Full Version : NY Ballet fans

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

beepbeep
07-02-2011, 11:43 PM
Vaganova Academy - class of 2011 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfUksJ6dzfU)

Fonteyn/Nureyev - Swan Lake PDD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8PJGXvZ4u8) :swoon: :swoon:

Cheylana
07-03-2011, 05:35 AM
Just got back from ABT's evening Swan Lake performance.

1) First of all, Marge Simpson and emason, I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you. I did look around at intermission and asked a few women in grey slacks if they were Marge and they were like, excuse me? so I got gunshy after that :(

2) I absolutely loved Polina Semionova. :swoon: Can we keep her? :D

3) The Act III pas de deux was visually beautiful but the solo violinist was terrible and nearly ruined it for me with some truly dreadful squeaking :yikes:

4) I feel like they changed some of the choreo in Act III. Feel free to correct me but these are the things that seemed different from prior years:

ETA: Never mind; I just looked at the ABT's Swan Lake on Youtube and none of the things I thought had changed were different from that version.

emason
07-03-2011, 05:41 AM
Cheylana,

I'm sorry we didn't meet up; we will give it another try on a future occasion. You can see my initial comments in the other thread.

Cheylana
07-03-2011, 06:19 AM
Cheylana,

I'm sorry we didn't meet up; we will give it another try on a future occasion. You can see my initial comments in the other thread.
Oh, okay. I should have looked at my ticket, maybe we could have compared seat numbers.

ballettmaus
07-03-2011, 06:52 AM
2) I absolutely loved Polina Semionova. :swoon: Can we keep her? :D

No, she's ours :D Berlin's treasure!! I've been to almost every ballet she danced in in Berlin. :swoon:

Marge_Simpson
07-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Even though I despised tonight's SL, I must say that Polina is a gorgeous dancer.
I saw her several years ago in Berlin, at the "Malakhov and Friends" gala.
When I arrived at the theatre I had no idea who the friends might be and I looked at the program to discover Jose was doing "Diana and Acteon" with Polina. I had never heard of her, but she made my jaw drop. For me to take notice of any woman, when Jose is dancing nearly naked, really says something.
I bought an autographed photo of her (how I wish ABT would sell photos) and just now went and it took it out.

Marge_Simpson
07-04-2011, 02:59 AM
I always had a soft spot for Carlos Lopez and I'm more depressed about him than Jose.
I often write things for my own amusement. And anyone who has read my posts in this thread knows my sense of humor is twisted. So, here is a little piece I did 2 years ago. CL= Carlos Lopez, KM= Kevin McKenzie

1st Week
CL: Sir! Excuse me, sir! You haven't given me anything to do in "Corsaire"
KM: Who the hell are you?
CL: Carlos Lopez, sir. I'm a soloist
KM: You are? Oh, I guess you are. But go away. All the parts are cast
CL: Please sir! I wanna be a pirate!
KM: Okay, okay. You can do Birbanto
CL (to himself) It's always the same. Conrad gets laid and I get killed
KM: Did you say something?
CL: No sir
KM: Good. Now go away
CL (to himself) Aye Caramba!

2nd Week
CL: Sir! You haven't given me anything to do in "Sylvia"
KM: Remind me who you are again?
CL: I'm Carlos Lopez. I'm a soloist
KM: Oh yeah. Well, okay, you can be a goat
CL: A goat?
KM: Take it or leave it!
CL: I'll take it. (to himself) Sh*t!

3rd Week
KM: I'm sick of hearing you whinge, Lopez. So here, you're doing "La Sylphide"
CL: Muy bueno! Am I James?
KM: You? James? Don't crack me up. You're Gurn
CL: But sir! He's a doofus!
KM: And so are you
CL: Please, sir!
KM: Would you rather do Madge?
CL: No! I'll be Gurn
KM: Good. Now go away
CL (to himself) F*ck!

4th Week
CL: Sir, you haven't given me anything to do in "Swan Lake"
KM: There are no doofus parts in Swan Lake. Go away and leave me alone
CL: Yes sir. (to himself) Tu Madre!

emason
07-04-2011, 03:32 AM
This is the only complete SL Act IV I can find on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL1FA2Wf3n4&feature=related

Thanks a million for posting this; I sat down to watch 5 minutes just to see what it looked like and, of course, I watched the whole thing. It certainly was a palate cleanser after last night's debacle.

I think you need to change your contention that Von Rothbart never dances to Von Rothbart usually doesn't dance. He certainly danced a lot in this version.

Marge_Simpson
07-04-2011, 04:40 AM
I realized later that was a goof, I was only looking at act IV and didn't watch act III till the next day.
Von Roththbart USUALLY doesn't dance. :lol: And, okay, I have seen SL's where the black swan pdd is a pas de trois with Von R.
The best SL I ever saw was when the RB was in Philadelphia several years ago, it really hammered home for me how awful Kevin's is.

Marge_Simpson
07-07-2011, 01:18 AM
I will refrain from posting my opinion of her dancing, but there is a nice article about Alina Somova in this week's TONY:
http://newyork.timeout.com/arts-culture/dance/1632643/alina-somova

kwanfan1818
07-07-2011, 02:44 AM
Her coach used to be her boss's wife, Olga Chenchikova, who was the Odette/Odile in the Emmy-winning PBS broadcast from Wolf Trap in 1986. However, Somova's dancing did not have the classicism or restraint of her coach. From reviews I've read in the last year, it seems like she's toned down her extensions and has gotten better coaching under Tatiana Terekhova.

(Still hoping to see the originally cast dancers, though.)

dinakt
07-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Bumping it up to ask: if you had to choose between seeing Vishneva or Lopatkina live , who would you choose? I have seen neither live, might have an opportunity, and I have not seen truly exceptional ballet in a long time, and lately really missed it.

Marge_Simpson
07-09-2011, 04:15 PM
I would go with Lopatkina. I have never seen her live, and I can pretty much see Vishneva anytime she performs with ABT.

beepbeep
07-10-2011, 12:23 AM
I've seen them both live :D .
Grant you, it was 1998, and Vishneva was a baby :lol:

I think it would depend on the role. Vishneva for the more fire-y roles, Lopatkina if there are any swans involved

dinakt
07-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Thank you for answering! I'll write if it actually happens. My dream is Lopatkina for Swan, Vishneva for Anna Karenina.