PDA

View Full Version : NY Ballet fans

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

Marge_Simpson
06-16-2011, 05:39 AM
Rob, are you in NYC?

SaSherka
06-17-2011, 07:47 AM
I skimmed the thread, but didn't see whether anyone is planning to go see any of the Mariinsky ballet tour at the Met?

http://www.metoperafamily.org//metopera/season/index_feature.aspx?id=2&hpgraphic

Any recommendations as to which performances/casts are preferable? I am thinking about coming down for July 13-15.

DustPuppyOI
06-17-2011, 08:09 AM
I skimmed the thread, but didn't see whether anyone is planning to go see any of the Mariinsky ballet tour at the Met?

http://www.metoperafamily.org//metopera/season/index_feature.aspx?id=2&hpgraphic

Any recommendations as to which performances/casts are preferable? I am thinking about coming down for July 13-15.
I haven't bought tickets yet but I want to see the Little Humpbacked Horse because it's rarely performed in North America (except if the Trocks might have an excerpt or two :P). I'm seriously debating whether to see the Symphony in C and Carmen program since I love Symphony in C, and I'd love to see the four different colours in the costumes per movement as their production has, but I'm not sure if the Mariinsky can handle the speed of the footwork though you'd at least trust their port de bras to be much better than NYCB.

Marge_Simpson
06-17-2011, 08:44 AM
I'm seeing Little Humpbacked Horse on the 12th, and will probably go on the
15th as well.
Somova makes me cringe, so I hope the casting doesn't change.

emason
06-17-2011, 02:21 PM
I haven't bought tickets yet but I want to see the Little Humpbacked Horse because it's rarely performed in North America (except if the Trocks might have an excerpt or two :P). I'm seriously debating whether to see the Symphony in C and Carmen program since I love Symphony in C, and I'd love to see the four different colours in the costumes per movement as their production has, but I'm not sure if the Mariinsky can handle the speed of the footwork though you'd at least trust their port de bras to be much better than NYCB.

Trocks do have a version; I saw it a few years ago at the Joyce. I haven't decided yet about whether to try for a Kirov ticket or not. I think I may be balleted out for the season.

Saw Coppelia last night; it gets a serviceable B, nothing more. It was essentially 2 1/2 acts of tedium to get to 5 minutes of technical fireworks. Both Reyes and Vailiev seemed rocky to start off, although they did improve as the evening went on. I liked them both better in Tuesday's The Bright Stream.

Marge_Simpson
06-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Coppelia is one ballet you couldn't pay me to see. Not even if Jose danced in it naked. :lol:
La Sylphide tonight!

emason
06-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Coppelia is one ballet you couldn't pay me to see. Not even if Jose danced in it naked. :lol:
La Sylphide tonight!

I only went because it's probably been 25 years since the last time I saw one and I thought it would make a change from the same old same old. Don't need to go again for another 25 years.

Rob
06-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Rob, are you in NYC?

No, ABT did Bright Stream here in January.

emason
06-19-2011, 07:08 PM
I went to the Royal Danish Ballet last night; I caught up with Marge Simpson at both intermissions, but we were so busy gabbing about ballet in general that I don't know what she actually thought of the evening. Marge, your review please and also your review of Friday night, which I did not go to.

I had a wonderful time. I have a soft spot in my heart for La Sylphide and it doesn't get done that often here in NY. I loved it last night and Lis Jeppesen made a sensational Madge. I think this might be the first time I've seen a woman do Madge and not a man.

After La Sylphide, we had the third act of Napoli, another of my all-time favorites that I rarely get to see. Loved it, loved it, loved it. It's such fun and it sent me out of the theatre with a smile on my face.

IceAlisa
06-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Hey, ballet lovers! Look what I found:

Evgenia Obrazstova's debut in Swan Lake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-L1sYaLDiY

I have an opinion but would like you all to comment first. What do you think?

beepbeep
06-21-2011, 05:06 PM
Hey, ballet lovers! Look what I found:

Evgenia Obrazstova's debut in Swan Lake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-L1sYaLDiY

I have an opinion but would like you all to comment first. What do you think?

It's not with the Kirov, right?
I've watched before (can't open youtube at work...), but I need to watch again, it's been a while.

Hard to belive she's still just a soloist. It can't be just her height...

Cheylana
06-21-2011, 08:18 PM
I went to the Royal Danish Ballet last night; I caught up with Marge Simpson at both intermissions, but we were so busy gabbing about ballet in general that I don't know what she actually thought of the evening. Marge, your review please and also your review of Friday night, which I did not go to.
I also had tickets to that Sat evening performance but had to go out of town for a memorial service :wuzrobbed so my sister took my spot. She said she liked it but there wasn't enough dancing (she and I are both no-teknik).

emason
06-21-2011, 08:41 PM
I also had tickets to that Sat evening performance but had to go out of town for a memorial service :wuzrobbed so my sister took my spot. She said she liked it but there wasn't enough dancing (she and I are both no-teknik).

La Sylphide, maybe, but Napoli Act III is all dancing all the time - no problem there.

IceAlisa
06-21-2011, 11:22 PM
It's not with the Kirov, right?
I've watched before (can't open youtube at work...), but I need to watch again, it's been a while.

Hard to belive she's still just a soloist. It can't be just her height...

Nope, she was guesting at the Moscow Theater of Nemerovich-Danchenko.

Here's a video of her rehearsing Swan Lake for this production:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrKeqDY28fk&feature=related

She says (in summary) that it should be natural for any young woman to play Odette because we are all kind and affectionate inside. She says that she had been dreaming of playing Odille since she had always performed the "good girl" roles or as she put it, the "beautiful and kind" roles and now she wants to try herself out as a wicked seductress.

Says that if she succeeds in bringing out that evil character it would be something unusual and different for her and if she succeeds, she'd be on cloud nine. You can hear her instructor correcting her, asking for sharper movements for her Odille.

kwanfan1818
06-21-2011, 11:49 PM

You lie!

ETA:

Nope, she was guesting at the Moscow Theater of Nemerovich-Danchenko.
aka "Stanislavsky Theater".

I love her in general. I think she makes wonderful shapes and has a creamy quality to her movement. In particular, I was mesmerized by her hands and how she avoided smacking the side of her head with her toe shoe. Her extensions and arabesques are more classical than what we see from even Lopatkina, who is considered the Mariinsky's prima in the classical rep.

I liked that this version uses the original "Black Swan" music that was replaced and revived by Balanchine for his "Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux" for the male variation, and that the coda/fouette music, even if I hate fouettes, wasn't the usual.