PDA

View Full Version : NY Ballet fans

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

IceAlisa
06-11-2011, 09:57 AM
"The Bright Stream" is a hoot. Go see it!
There is a dog. And a cow. And a man in drag.
I laughed until I cried,

Sounds like The Little Mermaid by SFBallet. There was a wheelchair and golf clubs and a old Russian mafia tune.

Marge_Simpson
06-11-2011, 07:03 PM
I thought SFB's Little Mermaid was rated R?

It is so hard for me to do a review of "Bright Stream" because the whole thing was so witty and fun, and everyone in the cast I saw was charming and completely in character. So anything I say will read something like this:
(insert dancer's name here) was hilarious as (insert role here)
(insert dancer's name here) brought the house down as (insert role here)

LadyGray
06-11-2011, 07:33 PM
The Tokyo Ballet's Giselle with Vishneva and Malakov is gone from youtube, but not from the 'net ;) (http://video.mail.ru/mail/anildia/578/600.html)

I've watched these videos many times in the past and never tire of them. Malakov is alarmingly regal in his bearing from beginning to end :swoon:

emason
06-11-2011, 07:56 PM
The Tokyo Ballet's Giselle with Vishneva and Malakov is gone from youtube, but not from the 'net ;) (http://video.mail.ru/mail/anildia/578/600.html)

I've watched these videos many times in the past and never tire of them. Malakov is alarmingly regal in his bearing from beginning to end :swoon:

I saw them do ABT's version a few years ago. It is the single best Giselle I have ever seen. I believe I posted somewhere upthread that Malakhov had such posture, line and bearing that I thought every villager was one grape cluster short of a wine barrel to not recognize this guy for an aristocrat the moment they saw him. He was definitely regal in his bearing from the minute he stepped on stage the night I went.

ETA: I promised to review Cuban Ballet from Thursday. I will do it soon, but it will be strictly no-teknik.

LadyGray
06-11-2011, 08:39 PM
I saw them do ABT's version a few years ago. It is the single best Giselle I have ever seen. I believe I posted somewhere upthread that Malakhov had such posture, line and bearing that I thought every villager was one grape cluster short of a wine barrel to not recognize this guy for an aristocrat the moment they saw him. He was definitely regal in his bearing from the minute he stepped on stage the night I went.

ETA: I promised to review Cuban Ballet from Thursday. I will do it soon, but it will be strictly no-teknik.

Oh, yes, I saw your review and I am immensely jealous that you got to see the two of them in these roles in person. I think I really meant to say that his bearing was arrestingly regal, rather than alarmingly (I've seen him dance before and know what beautiful posture and carriage he has, so I wasn't surprised to see it, but these aspects certainly stood out in this performance). His acting here is sublime, too.

emason
06-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Oh, yes, I saw your review and I am immensely jealous that you got to see the two of them in these roles in person. I think I really meant to say that his bearing was arrestingly regal, rather than alarmingly (I've seen him dance before and know what beautiful posture and carriage he has, so I wasn't surprised to see it, but these aspects certainly stood out in this performance). His acting here is sublime, too.

I sucked in my breath and my jaw dropped the moment he stepped on stage, I was so impressed.

LadyGray
06-12-2011, 12:29 AM
Did anyone here see Sarabia in Don Q (he was a last minute sub for Cornejo, who was injured)? I love him and have been saddened that he can't seem to gain a firm footing in the ballet world since he left Cuba.

emason
06-14-2011, 02:25 AM
Cuban Ballet review, from last week at BAM, such as it is:

My view of the stage was not good; at no time could I see the whole stage. It turns out that the seats at BAM are not offset from each other. Each seat in the mezzanine is directly behind the seat in front, so you can see some of the stage and some of the stage is blocked by the head and body of the person in front of you. I made the best of it I could, as I have learned over the years where to look if I have to make a choice - there is no point in looking over at lower stage left, when you know by the music that Kitri is about to enter upper stage right for her variation. The whole mezzanine spent the evening twisting and turning, heads bobbing everywhere, fighting for a better view. I did miss some things, but I saw most of the important stuff.

The biggest annoyance of the evening, however, was the 20-something sitting next to me. As each section ended, and the dancers came forward for the curtain calls, this young lady immediately turned on her smart phone and started texting; she also texted during half of the intermission. She couldn't be bothered to give the dancers even the slightest acknowledgement with the minimum of applause and the light from that phone was so annoying. The girl is lucky I didn't confiscate the phone and sit on it for the second half of the evening.

Big highlight of the evening: I got there very early (thank you, car service) and I was sitting on the settee in the lobby watching the video screen that was showing highlights of the upcoming performance. I discovered that the Cuban-American woman sitting next to me was the aunt of Estheysis Menendez, who was dancing the Coppelia variation that night. The girl's father was a member of the Cuban gymnastics team for the 1988 Olympics, IIRC, and the aunt feels the niece's talent comes from the father. The aunt showed me all the pictures on her phone of the father at the Olympics and the niece costumed for various roles. I heard all about how hard the conditions are in Cuba, how low the pay is ($20/performance) and how badly the dancers are fed. First night in NY, they got finger food at a cocktail party instead of a real meal. It's even worse in Cuba, but all the dancers want to be there, because of the training they get.

On to the performance: in order it was selections from Giselle, The Sleeping Beauty, The Nutcracker, intermission, Coppelia, Don Quixote, Swan Lake and Gottschalk Symphony. The orchestra sounded fabulous; some of these old chestnuts have never sounded so good and I was thrilled to see different sets, costumes, and stagings for a change.

The least successful of all was the Giselle. Instead of being fierce, the Wilis came off as Trocks' funny and the audience laughed at all the wrong moments. The audience also clapped at all the wrong moments all night long. I wonder if Alonso, whose signature role is Giselle, secretly doesn't want any production to be as good as the ones she danced in. Otherwise, I can't figure out why she sabotaged this Giselle with such bad staging. And, OMG, the costume on Albrecht; please send it back to Swan Lake where it belongs.

OK, I loved all the over the top pyrotechnical tricks; I didn't care if the dancing style was old-fashioned. It was nice to sit through an evening of dance where there actually was some style - perfect arms, hands, placement of feet, etc. I was in hog heaven. I saw men jump higher and turn faster than I have in twenty years and land perfectly to the beat of the music with perfect placement. I saw lifts I didn't think could exist in nature. As far as I am concerned, the dancers earned the right for all the mugging for applause they wanted. They were fabulous, non-stop fabulous.

Top favorite of the night was an Afro-Cuban, Jose Losada, who did Basil in Don Q. He commanded your eye from the second he stepped on stage and you couldn't look away from him. Top marks for dancing and for partnering.

OK, that's it, the no teknik review, or should I say impressions, in a nutshell.

Marge_Simpson
06-14-2011, 05:57 AM
I saw Losada do both Espada and Basilio last week when I was in DC, and was similarly impressed.

Rob
06-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Marge - is he the one who had incredible technique as Espada, but not enough swagger? I did like him though.

Marge_Simpson
06-15-2011, 01:05 AM
Yes, that's him...he did Espada on Thursday and Basilio on Friday.

emason
06-15-2011, 04:17 AM
"The Bright Stream" is a hoot. Go see it!
There is a dog. And a cow. And a man in drag.
I laughed until I cried.

Saw it tonight with fabulous cast - Reyes, Vassiliev and Osipova, et al. Delightful, charming, funny - very, very funny - the perfect ballet for a summer evening.

You forgot to mention the bicycle, the grim reaper and the tractor. :lol:

DustPuppyOI
06-15-2011, 04:00 PM
Saw it tonight with fabulous cast - Reyes, Vassiliev and Osipova, et al. Delightful, charming, funny - very, very funny - the perfect ballet for a summer evening.

You forgot to mention the bicycle, the grim reaper and the tractor. :lol:
Fabulous performance last night. I also loved the Old Dacha Dweller and the Anxious-to-be-younger-than-she-is Dacha Dweller. How wonderful for the company teachers to have such character laden roles to perform!

emason
06-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Fabulous performance last night. I also loved the Old Dacha Dweller and the Anxious-to-be-younger-than-she-is Dacha Dweller. How wonderful for the company teachers to have such character laden roles to perform!

Susan Jones stole the show as the Anxious-to-be-younger-than-she-is Dacha Dweller. That performance more than made up for all the times she's bored me to death as Giselle's mother.

Rob
06-16-2011, 12:23 AM
I saw Martine Van Hamel as A-T-B-Y-T-S-I-D-D. Paloma Herrera and Marcelo Gomes were the wife/husband and Gillian Murphy and David Hallberg as the dancers. It was great.