PDA

View Full Version : Status of US Pairs This Season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68

carriemarie
04-30-2012, 11:15 PM
There are many factors when dealing with PCS besides actual "PCS judging". (i.e.: Skating Order, Pre-existing reputation, Nationalism)

If you obviously look at ANY pair team that has been together at least an Olympic cycle, there are vast improvements in unison, line, tracking and so forth. It then becomes much easier to improve in "grace, flow, edges, carriage, posture, etc". As with any sport, an athlete needs to walk before they can run.

Rather than Shen/Zhao as an exception towards improvement in PCS, I would say they are a wonderful example of the benefits of longevity. To me, Tatiana and Max are actually the exception to the rule and frankly are a once in a lifetime sort of partnership that really isn't fair to compare anyone to.

The US is making good forward movement in their pair program, but these teams are in the very early stages of their careers. If there is longevity with these teams, I feel we will see definite improvements in many areas of their skating and their reputations will certainly start to improve as will their PCS mark.

blue_idealist
04-30-2012, 11:19 PM
I agree with people who think Denney and Coughlin might not get much further than they are now because of the limitations discussed. I think that the US's hope might lie with Marley and Brubaker, since Mary Beth is only 16 or 17 and can definitely improve. As she matures they can use more mature themes in their programs as well. Mary Beth and Rockne can also greatly improve their TES score with more consistency, since one or both of them usually falls at least once in the LPs I've seen from them.

mgobluegirl
05-01-2012, 01:25 AM
I actually found pairs perhaps the least disappointing discipline for the US at worlds this year.

barbk
05-01-2012, 02:16 AM
I actually found pairs perhaps the least disappointing discipline for the US at worlds this year.

+1

I'll be really interested to see how D&C look next season, and how Caydee's sister does as a Senior. I give MBM all the credit in the world for being fearless, but she still looks like such a little kid out there on the ice, particularly given Rockne's clearly apparent age. Keauna never looked that mis-paired with Rockne, so I don't know what it is. But, a lot can change in a year.

Tesla
05-01-2012, 02:48 AM
Keanu never looked that mis-paired with Rockne, so I don't know what it is. But, a lot can change in a year.

I don't know. I think Keanu & Rockne would've been an awesome pair. :D

apollo13
05-01-2012, 02:50 AM
I don't know. I think Keanu & Rockne would've been an awesome pair. :D

Blades of Glory!

Sylvia
05-01-2012, 02:55 AM
:lol: (It took me a few seconds but I finally got it! P.S. to barbk - D&C. ;))

leapfrogonice
05-02-2012, 06:47 AM
The addition of a Senior B event in North America (Salt Lake City if I am not mistaken) should create a particularly helpful and cost effective opportunity for some senior teams like Donlan and Speroff to get some points and prove their worthiness for Grand Prixs. Here's to hoping so at least.

olympic
05-02-2012, 12:40 PM
D/C were more or less clean this season doing all the big tricks finishing without a medal on the GP circuit and 8th at Worlds. Moving forward, they can get a micro-bump by raising their levels on some non-jump elements and perhaps going after a SBS 3sal, but if you look at their scores at worlds, the biggest gap between them and the top teams are on PCS.

Can they close some of that gap? It will take a serious, long term effort on their actual skating skills, more years together and the right packaging. I'm 50-50 as to whether it will happen.

Rochelle
05-03-2012, 04:32 AM
Also hearing of a possible Andrews/ Anderson reunion. Nothing is solid, but I know it's a possibility in that camp.

They've been skating together for a few weeks now. I had a chance to talk to Nick Anderson about it yesterday, and it sounds like the plan is for them to commit to this season. This is a solid situation for Cassie as she will start college on significant scholarship at IUPUI (Indiana University / Purdue University's large joint-campus less than a mile from the rink), and Nick has been through quite a few tryouts last season and before, and no one has "clicked."

shan
05-03-2012, 04:34 AM
They've been skating together for a few weeks now. I had a chance to talk to Nick Anderson about it yesterday, and it sounds like the plan is for them to commit to this season.

:cheer2: I hope things work out for them.

mtnskater
05-03-2012, 05:24 AM
If Takahasi/Tran can make it to the WORLD PODIUM without any sbs jumping consistency, I think USFS should put a lot more eggs in the Donlan/Speroff basket. If they don't at least get Skate America this year (yes, I know summer competitions matter), I'll be pissed.

This!

Sylvia
05-03-2012, 01:00 PM
They've been skating together for a few weeks now. I had a chance to talk to Nick Anderson about it yesterday, and it sounds like the plan is for them to commit to this season. This is a solid situation for Cassie as she will start college on significant scholarship at IUPUI (Indiana University / Purdue University's large joint-campus less than a mile from the rink), and Nick has been through quite a few tryouts last season and before, and no one has "clicked."
Thanks for the information on Andrews/Anderson re-teaming, Rochelle! I assume there is enough interest for another US Pairs news/updates discussion thread in GSD to carry us through the off-season?

can'tsk8
05-04-2012, 03:48 AM
I Hope things work out for Cassie and Nick, although I am not sure Nick is a particularly strong skater, I thought that was one of the reasons they split to start with as Nick doesnt really have very strong jumps.

johndockley92
05-04-2012, 05:09 AM
I've heard about possibly Poapst/ Reiss ....