PDA

View Full Version : Status of US Pairs This Season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68

shan
04-29-2012, 02:50 AM
If I am getting this correctly, D/S will get the host pick and M/B and C/D being the other choices? Or would they spread the wealth with C/S getting SA. What pair teams are currently eligible for GP's? Depending on Summer comps isn't there a chance that Z/B, who have moved up in the rankings due to breakups, L/D, or R/Y could get the host pick? I would assume Z/B would get Nebelhorn, but maybe D/S would to get more points? I mean forgive me, as I don't follow GP points standing very well, but wouldn't Denney and Frazier be eligible for a SGP, as well?

Okay I'm blanking right now, who is L/D?

aftershocks
04-29-2012, 03:12 AM
carriemarie probably means D/L - Davis/ Ladwig. And Y/R instead of R/Y for Caitlin and Josh.

carriemarie
04-29-2012, 03:39 AM
carriemarie probably means D/L - Davis/ Ladwig. And Y/R instead of R/Y for Caitlin and Josh.
You are right. I was typing fast. Sorry for the confusion:)

shan
04-29-2012, 03:42 AM
Thanks, I should have been able to put that together.... :lol:

Jayar
04-29-2012, 03:55 AM
My best guess is that D&C, Y&R, and D&L will get Skate America. It's likely they will invest in skaters who have been at a high level.

hippychick
04-29-2012, 12:50 PM
[QUOTE=Jayar;3558557]My best guess is that D&C, Y&R, and D&L will get Skate America. It's likely they will invest in skaters who have been at a high leve]

While I can see that happening, that would be very sad for Donlan and Speroff who need SA to have any possibility of getting on the GP circuit. At some point or another USFS needs to give them an opportunity, or there isn't much point in them continuing to compete for the US. They are a very young team in terms of age and experience and if anyone can beneift from getting an international assignment it would be them. USFS needs to look closely at the skaters who are host picks and try to use those picks to promote some of these young up and coming skaters/dancers and pair teams who may be in the same position as Donlan and Speroff.

While I know it won't happen, with both D/C and M/B guaranteed to get two slots, couldn't they use SA for D/S, Y/R and D/L? Wouldn't it be best to spread the wealth around to as many pair teams as possible. I can't imagine that either of the two top pair teams would be that huge of a draw that it would make that much of a difference in attendance at SA.

carriemarie
04-29-2012, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE=Jayar;3558557]My best guess is that D&C, Y&R, and D&L will get Skate America. It's likely they will invest in skaters who have been at a high leve]

While I can see that happening, that would be very sad for Donlan and Speroff who need SA to have any possibility of getting on the GP circuit. At some point or another USFS needs to give them an opportunity, or there isn't much point in them continuing to compete for the US. They are a very young team in terms of age and experience and if anyone can beneift from getting an international assignment it would be them. USFS needs to look closely at the skaters who are host picks and try to use those picks to promote some of these young up and coming skaters/dancers and pair teams who may be in the same position as Donlan and Speroff.

While I know it won't happen, with both D/C and M/B guaranteed to get two slots, couldn't they use SA for D/S, Y/R and D/L? Wouldn't it be best to spread the wealth around to as many pair teams as possible. I can't imagine that either of the two top pair teams would be that huge of a draw that it would make that much of a difference in attendance at SA.

I believe Donlan/Speroff will be given SA. Indy will be a huge factor with these new teams, and if they are beaten by teams that already have a national ranking- I feel it will be hard for "powers that be" to justify sending Y/R or D/L to an event as big as SA.

I also feel that USFS realizes that both Josh and Lindsay have some "big skates to fill" and most likely are not going to be seriously competitive with their partners by October.

DORISPULASKI
04-29-2012, 02:36 PM
At this point, I'd settle for USFS to just announce where SA is going to be...I'm sure they are still clueless about who they are going to send to ....where was that :lol:

olympic
04-29-2012, 02:40 PM
My best guess is that D&C, Y&R, and D&L will get Skate America. It's likely they will invest in skaters who have been at a high level.

With so many new partnerships (relatively speaking) won't they use the results of the summer comps as a big influence on the decisions of who goes? I mean, it can go the other way: If Y/R and D/L perform poorly during the summer (not saying they will and hope they don't), teams like D/S and C/S might go?

carriemarie
04-29-2012, 05:14 PM
At this point, I'd settle for USFS to just announce where SA is going to be...I'm sure they are still clueless about who they are going to send to ....where was that :lol:
The host pick will always be a last minute thing depending on Summer comps. D/C automatically get the invite, along with another team eligible to compete in the SGP (not M/B) so USFS can spread the wealth in the six events. I think maybe C/S. Last year it was (host pick) M/B, V/B, and and (D/C), whose Jon's standing as top six in the world bumped them up in SGP standing enough to compete even with a new partner. They saved E/L for France and China? I believe since TEB was where Worlds was being held and obviously the one team in the US broke up so.......IIRC, Cain/Reagan, M/B, V/B and C/S only got one assignment while D/C and E/L got two.

Sylvia
04-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Last year when the initial GP assignments were published by the ISU in June, U.S. pairs received 7 initial pair slots -- Marley/Brubaker, Vise/Baldwin and a TBA for Skate America. China and France both selected Evora/Ladwig, Japan selected Castelli/Shnapir, and Russia selected Cain/Reagan. Denney/Coughlin were selected by Japan/added to NHK in August (ETA: "split couples" clause) and then to Skate America by USFS. 6 pairs also were sent to Senior B comps this past fall (Poapst/Knierim were the only team not also on the GP).

This year, besides D/C's and M/B's expected 2 GPs apiece, Vise/Baldwin (#20), Denney/Frazier (#25), and Castelli/Shnapir (#26) are in the mix for an initial GP assignment based on their 2011-12 Season Best scores.

With so many new partnerships (relatively speaking) won't they use the results of the summer comps as a big influence on the decisions of who goes?
That's my guess, particularly Indy Challenge.

barbk
04-30-2012, 12:31 AM
Does Caitlin have comeback status for this coming year?

olympic
04-30-2012, 01:14 AM

I read in the Y/R thread that they aim to compete their SP and LP at Indy Challenge. They may compete their SP somewhere earlier. Is that what you mean?

shan
04-30-2012, 01:28 AM
Y/R are skating in Skate for Hope on June 16.

http://www.skateforhope.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Headliners

I'm forever thinking about the Young and the Restless when I type their initials. :lol:

kwanfan1818
04-30-2012, 01:34 AM

Based on last year's precedent (Samuelson and Bates each getting one for their new partnerships based on their results from two years prior), she has "split partner" status. "Comeback" status is only for teams who were out for at least a season and comeback together.

Split couples skaters get second priority on the alternates list after comeback skaters. (Last season, there were none of the latter.)