PDA

View Full Version : Status of US Pairs This Season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68

carriemarie
04-27-2012, 01:47 AM
So surviving the season we currently have:
Denney/Coughlin
Marley/Brubaker
Donlan Speroff
Castelli/Shnapir
Zhang/Bartholomay
Vise/Baldwin

And confirmed new partnerships:
Yankowskas/Reagan
Davis/Ladwig

and unconfirmed possibilities. Who did I leave out (I don't even know who's moving from Jr. to Sr.)
O'shea/Kayne are confirmed
Denney/Frazier should be moving up
Not sure about the status of Vise/Baldwin-I heard they were done
I think Duarte/Grafton are moving up as well

Sylvia
04-27-2012, 01:52 AM
Senior teams currently listed in the 2012-13 ISP:
Caydee Denney & John Coughlin S1
Mary Beth Marley & Rockne Brubaker S2
Gretchen Donlan & Andrew Speroff S4
Marissa Castelli & Simon Shnapir S5
Felicia Zhang & Nathan Bartholomay S8
Tiffany Vise & Don Baldwin S9

Planning to move/test up to Senior in the US:
Haven Denney & Brandon Frazier J1
Kylie Duarte & Colin Grafton J3

Confirmed/Announced (in articles) as new Senior teams:
Caitlin Yankowskas/Joshua Reagan
Kiri Baga/Taylor Toth (she needs to test up)
Tarah Kayne/Danny O'Shea (both are testing up)

To be confirmed/announced:
Lindsay Davis/Mark Ladwig
Alexa Scimeca/Chris Knierim (training in Colorado Springs, I've heard)

shan
04-27-2012, 02:07 AM
Thank you Sylvia. :)

apatinar
04-27-2012, 08:52 AM
I am still not sure what Mark is thinking with all of this....

olympic
04-27-2012, 12:17 PM
Any word on whether Ivan Dimitrov is searching for a partner? He had some talent and a 'wild' quality to his skating which made him somewhat interesting to watch.

fan
04-27-2012, 02:55 PM
also curious to know what andrea poapst is doing.

haribobo
04-27-2012, 03:01 PM

Who cares? He wants to skate let him skate. I don't see why his chances at success are any more dubious than Yankowskas/Reagan or Baga/Toth, for example. They could all do well, or not. Let's just wait and see.

apollo13
04-27-2012, 03:01 PM

Mark is thinking of skating well this season with his new partner...

kirkbiggestfan
04-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Lindsay Davis is lucky to go from Themi to Mark. Everybody is trying to be very PC and I am not going to be Urmanov on her but she needs to work on conditionning to say the least. I have not seen her skate in 1 year, so I hope I will be pleasantly surprised.

carriemarie
04-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Lindsay Davis is lucky to go from Themi to Mark. Everybody is trying to be very PC and I am not going to be Urmanov on her but she needs to work on conditionning to say the least. I have not seen her skate in 1 year, so I hope I will be pleasantly surprised.

I am not saying Mark doesn't have his work cut out for him and I wish E/L would have bowed out together, but he wanted to make a run at Sochi and Amanda didn't. It's his choice and, in Lindsay's defense, she came in very prepared for the tryout and was in shape and ready to make this partnership work. I have honestly never been a big fan of her skating, and did think Themi was quite a good pair skater, but I think if anyone can pull her together it's Mark and his experience plus the experience of their coaching team. After the top two, it's really anyone's game. I think Donlan/Speroff are good, but lack the jumping ability and are inconsistent on their throws. Marissa and Simon having been just waiting to breakthrough these last couple of years, but have yet to pull it all together at Nationals, and Felicia/Nate were so solid at Nationals this year that I only see them moving up and possibly breaking through to the final group. So many teams have broken up that I could see Mark's "why not?" approach. If he's willing to make the commitment then good for him and kudos to Amanda for being honest and saying she wasn't up for another year. I am going to say now that I doubt Caitlyn/Josh are going to be coming out the gate swinging the way Caydee/John did. Caydee/John are just far more consistent skaters and Caitlyn has been out of the game for a year, but best of luck to all! I am excited about these new teams.

grandma
04-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Unofficial, old news, but saw that it hadn't really been brought up yet: Poapst/ Knierim are no longer together.

he seems to quit partners so often:confused:

oldskoolsk8tr
04-28-2012, 02:21 PM
I don't think he's ever quit a partner. Carmen together 3 seasons:), Alba 1, Poapst 2.
All these girls either did not like pairs, refused to train in CS, or had skating mom's involved the last one bares repeating.... Knierim skates is a full-time college student and works to pay for skating he is a mechanic and he is based in CS and so is his longtime coach Sappenfield.
I have it on good knowledge that:
Poapst demanded to train with Peter in LA and told Knierim he needed to move with her or else.
He seemed to have choosen the "or else" route

olympic
04-28-2012, 02:42 PM
I am not saying Mark doesn't have his work cut out for him and I wish E/L would have bowed out together, but he wanted to make a run at Sochi and Amanda didn't. It's his choice and, in Lindsay's defense, she came in very prepared for the tryout and was in shape and ready to make this partnership work. I have honestly never been a big fan of her skating, and did think Themi was quite a good pair skater, but I think if anyone can pull her together it's Mark and his experience plus the experience of their coaching team. After the top two, it's really anyone's game. I think Donlan/Speroff are good, but lack the jumping ability and are inconsistent on their throws. Marissa and Simon having been just waiting to breakthrough these last couple of years, but have yet to pull it all together at Nationals, and Felicia/Nate were so solid at Nationals this year that I only see them moving up and possibly breaking through to the final group. So many teams have broken up that I could see Mark's "why not?" approach. If he's willing to make the commitment then good for him and kudos to Amanda for being honest and saying she wasn't up for another year. I am going to say now that I doubt Caitlyn/Josh are going to be coming out the gate swinging the way Caydee/John did. Caydee/John are just far more consistent skaters and Caitlyn has been out of the game for a year, but best of luck to all! I am excited about these new teams.

Good Analysis.

I would say that your opinion re D/C vs. Y/R is one of the first I've read on the Board. For all the dislike she gets, Caydee is a cat on the ice and it really helped them come together as a team in time for the season. Caitlin is beautiful to watch, but she is not quite as solid on jumps and throws (For the record, I still hope Y/R rock the coming season). Then again, if she is skating with someone she enjoys being with (like John does), then Y/R may do quite well. For that reason, it will be very interesting to watch the pairs events at the Summer comps (when is the 1st one, BTW???).

Everyone will have to watch out for M/B as they continue to improve and get comfortable with one another. They are also to be considered a new team and if they up the ante. They could be #1.

If D/S ever get their SBS jumps together, they will be a force to be reckoned with for #1 (I also hope they do that. It's their only glaring flaw).

Regarding D/L, I'll have to wait and see how they gel and how they are received by judges. Mark is trading in Amanda's polish (not saying Lindsay is not polished, just Amanda was more so) for Lindsay's more consistent jumping ability. What will get more points?

*Sigh* I don't know about C/S. Time is ticking away on this partnership. He just can't jump to save his life, and they insist on that darn throw 3x! His problem with the jumps is chronic and who knows if it can be fixed.

hippychick
04-28-2012, 03:19 PM
D/C are definitely the most consistent out of all of the US pair teams, and that is what keeps them ahead. Only time wil tell if they can work on the esthetics of their skating, both need work on their line, position and posture, if they ever want to be a top world team.

M/B have much more potential than D/C, but they need time, more than two years I would think to be a top team in the world. As long as they continue to skate to programs like their s/p they will do quite well but until Mary Beth matures, some programs may be out of their depth, not necessarily due to skating skills!

D/S, imo have the most potential to be an international force. IF and only IF, they can become more consistent with their jumps. Their lifts, throws, twist and overall appearance on the ice is top notch. One can only hope that they are spending the off season re-working Gretchens jumping technique and getting any additional help they can in this area. Speroff seems to be more consistent in the jumps area from what I can tell.

Y/R, not entirely sure about them yet, I think they will be beautiful, but I think people tend to forget that Yankowskas was not consistent with either her jumps or the throws. Beyond that she is lovely on the ice. Reagan on the other hand will need to work hard on his line and posture to match hers.

D/L, not sure what to say about them, I have only seen her skate a couple of times.

reese
04-28-2012, 04:48 PM
If Takahasi/Tran can make it to the WORLD PODIUM without any sbs jumping consistency, I think USFS should put a lot more eggs in the Donlan/Speroff basket. If they don't at least get Skate America this year (yes, I know summer competitions matter), I'll be pissed.