PDA

View Full Version : Status of US Pairs This Season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

5Ali3
05-24-2011, 11:43 PM
Colin Grafton (of Kylie Duarte/Grafton, J7 at Nationals) recently wrote in his online journal that their FS music is Dr. Zhivago and that they are starting to land throw triple loops in practice -- link: http://everythingfigureskating.com/prosCorner/2011/05/20/friday-the-13th-or-just-bad-luck/

To be nit-picky :P , Grafton says that "Kylie" landed her first triple loops. (I have a soft spot for pair guys who say "she landed the throw," but "we missed the throw." It's absolutely true, most of the time, and is a very respectful, classy thing for a partner to do.)

It's a shame that [Tanovich] outgrew Chau and they couldn't stay together to do a JGP last season.

I certainly got the impression that their intention was to try to skate a JGP season, but I think Chau's shoulder injury forced the issue. They're one of those teams that makes me wish we gave Team USA jackets to the enveloped skaters [which we used to do], not just those assigned internationally.

Jenna
05-28-2011, 03:48 PM
I'm looking at the Liberty entries, and In addition to singles, Felicia Zhang is registered for a Senior Pairs SP. I wonder who her partner is? AFAIK it hasn't been announced.

Pairsis
05-28-2011, 05:34 PM
I heard from a reliable source that she has teamed up with Nathan Bartholomay

Jenna
05-28-2011, 05:37 PM

That makes sense! Thanks for the info.

reese
05-28-2011, 06:46 PM

???

So many of these splits and new partnerships are so confounding.

Sylvia
05-28-2011, 10:52 PM
So have I. Zhang/Bartholomay have registered for Liberty but it's not yet known if they will be ready to debut their Senior Pairs short program there or not.

I've heard that the new Junior team of Christine Mozer/Danny O'Shea will not be at Liberty after all, but hopefully they will be ready to compete at Indy Challenge, which is 2 weeks later.

easilydistracte
05-28-2011, 10:56 PM
Any news on Taylor Toth?

Sylvia
05-29-2011, 12:55 AM
I don't know if Taylor Toth is actively searching for a partner right now, but Melissa Bulanhagui tweeted this off ice photo of them the day they skated a pairs show number in Bethlehem, PA this past Thursday (she mentioned she landed her throw double loop): http://yfrog.com/h21xiswj

Debbie S
05-29-2011, 03:10 AM
I don't know if Taylor Toth is actively searching for a partner right now, but Melissa Bulanhagui tweeted this off ice photo of them the day they skated a pairs show number in Bethlehem, PA this past Thursday (she mentioned she landed her throw double loop): http://yfrog.com/h21xiswjYou know, they might make a good pair team. Sizewise, they are well-matched, and Melissa is fearless, and she can land triple jumps. Hmmmm.

Sylvia
05-29-2011, 04:21 PM
Article on Tiffany Vise and Don Baldwin, Senior B silver medal at 2010 Ice Challenge in Austria and 6th place at 2011 Nationals in spite of her foot injury: http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2010/052911.shtml

"This is the first year for Donny and me to be able to have a full year to train," Vise acknowledged. "This year we have all this time before to work on being creative on transitions in and out of elements before we compete for the first time in August. Hopefully we will be injury free so that we can compete healthy."

In addition to working on the basics and their connection on the ice, Vise and Baldwin are looking to increase their technical content this season.

"We have been working on triple twist for about a month now," Vise shared. "We had to take a little bit of a break from it because I sprained my ankle on it, but we plan on working on it again within the next couple weeks. We are also working on triple toe loop-double toe loop-double toe loop combination to add to the long program. We plan to keep our triple Salchows in the program as well."

The couple has decided to keep their Pirates of the Caribbean short program from last season, and is currently working on a new free skate to an instrumental version of Time to Say Goodbye and selections from the movie Legends of the Fall.

"We feel like we can build on the short program and make it better, and except for the twist, we have planned all level four elements," Vise explained. "We selected the music for the free skate because we want to show a more lyrical side that many people wouldn't expect to see out of us."

Tucked away in the article is this news:

"John and Rena are now working full time in the family's car business and medical billing professions, respectively," [Don] Baldwin shared. "They are expecting a baby in November."

olympic
05-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Article on Tiffany Vise and Don Baldwin, Senior B silver medal at 2010 Ice Challenge in Austria and 6th place at 2011 Nationals in spite of her foot injury: http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2010/052911.shtml

Tucked away in the article is this news:

Congrats to John and Rena

I have to say that for me, V/B are a likeable couple and agreeable to the eye. If they can get the big elements, they will be one of the US top pairs. Although, I'm not sure how their mirror elements will be received by judges on the natl. and intl. stages...

DORISPULASKI
05-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Did anyone hear whether Rena and John got married?

LongTimeLurker
05-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Okay, am I the only one assuming John is a car salesman?

DORISPULASKI
05-29-2011, 11:17 PM
Yes, It's the family business.

I remember the first time they qualified for worlds, and a commentator, I think Terry Gannon? It was whoever was doing the interviews that year, asked John what qualifying for Worlds for the first time meant to him.

He said, AFAIR, "It means the car selling season starts later this year."

Sylvia
05-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Here's ryanbfan's video of Ashley Cain/Joshua Reagan's exhibition last week in Dallas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGAMHeULR2Q

It will be interesting to see how they fare at the senior international level this fall.