PDA

View Full Version : Status of US Pairs This Season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

shan
04-01-2012, 06:22 PM
IIRC Donlan/Speroff have a 3twist.

reese
04-01-2012, 06:24 PM

Yes, they have a fantastic 3twist.

DORISPULASKI
04-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Donlan & Speroff are similar to P&T and T&T. All their pair skills are scrumptious, but their jumps are very iffy. And Gretchen's air positions in lifts are about 100x better than Qing Pang's and Caydee Denney's.

5Ali3
04-01-2012, 08:42 PM

Yes, they have a fantastic 3twist.

Takahashi and Tran also have a fantastic triple twist.

Donlan and Speroff's performance at 2011 Indy Challenge was not exemplary, and the "peer" team against whom they were most likely being compared for the few available international slots (Vise/Baldwin, who placed just ahead of Donlan/Speroff at 2011 Nationals) had a very strong Indy Challenge. There are few hard-and-fast rules when it comes to international assignments (besides "don't kick the wrong person's puppy"), but in general, placing last in the short program at Indy Challenge is a fairly insurmountable obstacle at the Senior Level, unless one has a stellar record as a team and there were some serious extenuating circumstances, like tripping in the opening pose and skating the rest of the program with a broken nose, dripping blood all over the ice.

Japan has no other pair teams to promote and no other Japanese teams lost international assignments by JSF allowing Takahashi/Tran to compete both Junior and Senior internationals, even as they struggled with their s/s jumps. It's a shame that Donlan/Speroff were too old for the JGP, because I suspect that they would have been very successful on that circuit without s/s triples, and it would have given them a chance to concentrate on s/s 2As. It's considerably more difficult to have two inconsistent s/s jumping passes than one, a multiplicative rather than additive effect. In general, the more elements in a program "to worry about," the more difficult it is to split one's focus between the hard elements. Donlan is quite new to pairs and they have added significant difficulty to their pair elements over the past two years. Three years ago, every pair element would have required equal focus from Donlan, because every one of them was new, and I suspect that elements like the triple twist, throws, and lifts continued to require significant mental processing for her, simply because they're so new. This year, her fourth skating pairs, might be the year that she has enough muscle memory/instinctive pair knowledge that she doesn't need to "think through" every element, which should free up some focus for the s/s jumps. BTW, this process isn't unique to Donlan: it's true of every girl who starts pairs at a high level (with "high level" defined by "every element has a high level of absolute difficulty," not "Junior/Senior is a high level": it's possible to compete at Junior and Senior without the "big tricks"). Moreover, it's also true whenever a pair adds difficulty to their program: moving from a double twist to a triple twist typically results in other elements taking a nose-dive for a while, simply because the twist requires disproportionate focus.

I hope I'm making sense - I fear that someone reading this might think, "it shouldn't be a problem to focus on every aspect of every element." Picture the amount of concentration that it takes a toddler to walk a few steps, versus a child, versus an adolescent wearing high heels for the first time, versus an adult who is texting, chewing gum, and wearing high heels. Now picture trying to text, chew gum, wear 8" heels, and cross a Manhattan street - with the exact same cadence and movements as someone who keeps moving to your left and right, behind you and ahead of you, and from whom you need to keep a consistent distance; remember that regardless of your natural pace or the technique that you've used to chew gum your entire life, you need to lift your feet exactly as high off the ground as the other person, even though you're wearing high heels and he's not, and chew gum using the same mouth and tongue movements. :yikes: It's not easy, but you can imagine how it requires less concentration over time as your new gum chewing technique becomes more natural and you no longer need to think about it, or your stride adjusts to your partner's. That frees up a lot of concentration to focus on the things that aren't the same every time, like the potholes in the road, or to adjust when your partner coughs, requiring the gum chewing to be re-synchronized.

Placing fourth at Nationals should increase Donlan/Speroff's "priority" for international assignments, but they'll still need to demonstrate strong summer performances. The preferences of the current members of International Committee, especially the highest ranking member with competitive experience in pairs, will also play a role: if that individual prioritizes difficult technical elements over PCS, then a team with difficulty may have an advantage when it comes to garnering international assignments. And for good or for ill, Donlan's track record of struggling with harder jumps, which extends back to her victory at 2007 Junior Nationals, where she won the Intermediate title without a 2A, which was sufficiently controversial that the rules were changed [as they needed to be] to adjust the PCS factors at the lower levels to better balance TES/PCS, will work against them. I am not saying that any of this is fair (or not fair), but I suspect that it's true. That being said, I suspect Donlan/Speroff will be in line for assignments this year, assuming strong summer competitions and monitoring. (I also suspect Donlan is perfectly capable of a 2A/3T, and I hope she finds the mental cues to become consistent on them this season. :) )

hippychick
04-01-2012, 09:39 PM

Yes sorry, I meant triple twist.

I agree they had a rough start to their season last year, especially at Indy, but part of their placement had to do with them trying 3toes in the short progam (unsuccessfully) when several other teams only did doubles. Had they done the doubles they would have placed higher in the short. IIRC Speroff also got costume deduction which affected their placement in the long program as well.

Hopefully now that their pair elements are so solid, they will be able to focus more of their time and attention on their sbs elements. I.e. Jumps and spins.

hippychick
04-01-2012, 09:51 PM
The preferences of the current members of International Committee, especially the highest ranking member with competitive experience in pairs, will also play a role: if that individual prioritizes difficult technical elements over PCS, then a team with difficulty may have an advantage when it comes to garnering international assignments.

You really hit the nail on the head. The point I was trying to make earlier comes down to the international committee perhaps reevaluatiing their criteria of "jumps" over pcs. If jumps were the be all and end all to what is considered to be a difficult program I would think that both US teams would have finished higher in the standings at Worlds, at least in the short program. A technically difficult pair program should be evaluated on all of the elements, not just the jumps.

T/T have proven all season that they can be successful based on high PCS scores, and when the do land their jumps they can be top contenders.

julieann
04-02-2012, 03:49 AM
T/T have proven all season that they can be successful based on high PCS scores, and when the do land their jumps they can be top contenders.

And hope many other teams fail. :shuffle:

johndockley92
04-04-2012, 03:17 AM
Any updates on Anna Pearce's tryouts with Adam Civiello and Matej Silecky or others?

Also hearing of a tryout with Drew Meekins

carriemarie
04-08-2012, 05:16 AM
Oooh, I am happy for Kiri. I think she could really excel in pairs.

Is Christine Mozer still competing? She's been riddled with injury and illness for years. It would be sad to see her go out like that. :(

No going to Dartmouth I believe. There is an icenetwork article in regards to the breakup. I don't think she is looking to continue pairs.

can'tsk8
04-09-2012, 05:20 AM
Does anyone have any more information about Cassie Andrew and Tim Leduc's split? Have they found new partners?

johndockley92
04-09-2012, 08:39 PM
Does anyone have any more information about Cassie Andrew and Tim Leduc's split? Have they found new partners?

I know that Andrews hasn't had any tryouts yet, haven't heard anything about Tim though.

can'tsk8
04-10-2012, 02:01 AM
I know that Andrews hasn't had any tryouts yet, haven't heard anything about Tim though.
Is Cassie hoping to continue in Pairs or is she thinking of hanging up her boots? I do hope they find new partners, does anyone know why they split?

johndockley92
04-10-2012, 02:45 AM
Is Cassie hoping to continue in Pairs or is she thinking of hanging up her boots? I do hope they find new partners, does anyone know why they split?

Drama, injuries, etc. He felt he could do better. From what I hear anyways.

Also, I think her search for a partner isn't super active and that she wouldn't mind taking the season off - from what I hear.

Sylvia
04-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Amanda Evora announced her retirement from competitive skating today; Mark Ladwig plans to continue -- link to GSD thread containing the official press release: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=83271

Summary of U.S. Pairs at 2012 Nationals that have split since Nationals:
* = currently listed on IPS

Amanda Evora/Mark Ladwig S3
Ashley Cain/Joshua Reagan S6
Alexa Scimeca/Ivan Dimitrov* S10
Cassie Andrews*/Timothy LeDuc S11
AnnaMarie Pearce*/Craig Norris J7
Christine Mozer/Danny O'Shea J-wd
Danielle Viola*/Alexander Johnson N6
Allison Smith/Anthony Evans* N7
Hannah Klopstock/Chad Phillips* N8
Victoria LoRusso*/Timothy Habeeb N11
Lianna Thomas/Gene Fu N12
Also: Lindsay Davis* (2011 Nationals)

New Pairs:
Caitlin Yankowskas/Joshua Reagan
Kiri Baga/Taylor Toth
Tarah Kayne/Danny O'Shea

DarrellH
04-10-2012, 10:12 PM
I think I will need a flow chart next season.