PDA

View Full Version : Status of US Pairs This Season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

stjeaskategym
03-23-2012, 11:42 PM
Very true, but - in this case - Kiri certainly could have chosen to start at Junior with an age-eligible guy, so all involved must feel she is ready to start at Senior.

Of course. A girl starting pairs at 16 is usually doing so because she sees an opportunity to be skating at the senior level immediately. The higher level the male partner, the easier it is to race the inexperienced girl through everything and "carry" her through as she picks up on the elements. It's often much too hard to find Jr age-eligible guys anyway.

I really don't know what my point is in mentioning this. :lol: I'm not knocking 16 year single skaters for skating Sr pairs. They are just doing what the pairs discipline of skating allows them to do- race through the basics as fast as possible and get to the big tricks. It would just be neat to see more younger children trying pairs and truly mastering the fundamentals instead of this being the discipline where it's not uncommon to chuck throw triples in your first month of ever skating pairs. But again, it's not really realistic to expect a lot of kids to try pairs when they are young, for several different reasons. So forget I even mentioned it. :lol:

chipso1
03-24-2012, 12:31 AM
I get what you're saying, but on the other hand, which senior U.S. teams are "chucking throw triples?" The pairs newbies (0-3 years experience) like Mary Beth Marley, Felicia Zhang, Gretchen Donlan, etc., seem to have very good throw technique.

It would be nice if more kids started pairs when they're in the fundamental learning stages of skating, but it's just not feasible for that many families to make a sacrifice to move to a new training location, uproot the family, and often times pay for the expenses of their son/daughter's partner.

Debbie S
03-24-2012, 01:35 AM
Is Christine Mozer still competing? She's been riddled with injury and illness for years. It would be sad to see her go out like that. :(From what Jim Peterson said in the IN article, it sounds like she is headed to Dartmouth in the fall. Best of luck to her! She could always compete at Collegiate Nationals, and I believe Dartmouth also has a figure skating team.

aftershocks
03-24-2012, 06:20 AM
Baga/ Toth are intriguing as a pair, as they both possess gracefulness and above average artistic abilities. Lots of excitement and potential in U.S. pairs if the current top teams and recent pairings continue to develop, and above all stabilize and strengthen their partnerships.

Jenna
03-24-2012, 07:14 AM
From what Jim Peterson said in the IN article, it sounds like she is headed to Dartmouth in the fall. Best of luck to her! She could always compete at Collegiate Nationals, and I believe Dartmouth also has a figure skating team.

Ah. I feel like she never reached her potential as a single skater nor as a pairs skater, but the best of luck to Christine at Dartmouth!

ForceRecon
03-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Any updates on Anna Pearce's tryouts with Adam Civiello and Matej Silecky or others?

johndockley92
03-29-2012, 12:18 AM
Any updates on Anna Pearce's tryouts with Adam Civiello and Matej Silecky or others?

According to her facebook she was in NJ/ NY for awhile. Which is where matej is from so...

icelover
03-29-2012, 08:23 PM
Ah. I feel like she never reached her potential as a single skater nor as a pairs skater, but the best of luck to Christine at Dartmouth!
Such an elegant skater! Here's wishing her great success in college..

Iceman
03-31-2012, 08:21 AM
laura, laura say it ain't so:(

shan
03-31-2012, 01:45 PM
laura, laura say it ain't so:(

:huh:

love_skate2011
03-31-2012, 01:53 PM
^

I think that's suppose to be for
Laura Lepisto, lol :rofl:

shan
03-31-2012, 01:55 PM
^

I think that's suppose to be for
Laura Lepisto, lol :rofl:

Wow, she transcends all threads!! :lol:

olympic
04-01-2012, 04:39 PM
....Lots of excitement and potential in U.S. pairs if the current top teams and recent pairings continue to develop, and above all stabilize and strengthen their partnerships.

Yes, but I'd admonish you to remain skeptical about US pairs until some of these pairs show actual results on the international scene. Otherwise, you're in for a world of disappointment ;)

Frankly, with the season behind us, I'm already looking forward to the summer comps already. I can't wait to see Y/R myself.

hippychick
04-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Seeing how well that Takahashi and Tran skated at Worlds and won the bronze medal, do you think that USFS should be doing more to promote Donlan and Speroff. Like Takahashi and Tran they are very artistic with world class lifts and throws, and a very good 3 twist. Their only weakness being the sbs jumps like T/T, if they could land those I could see them pulling the same sort of results on the World scene, however they need to get out on the internationals scene for that to happen. As well as the US teams did this year, and they did both skate well, one has to ask why they did not place higher with both the teams skating relatively clean programs.

johndockley92
04-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Seeing how well that Takahashi and tran skated at Worlds and won the bronze medal, do you think that USFS should be doing more to promote Donlan and Speroff. Like Takahashi and Tran they are very artistic with world class lifts and throws, and a very good 2 twist. Their only weakness being the sbs jumps like T/T, if they could land those I could see them pulling the same sort of results on the World scene, however they need to get out on the internationals scene for that to happen. As well as the US teams did this eyar, and they did both skate well, one has to ask why they did not place higher with both of the teams skating relatively clean programs.

D/S only do a double twist? I'd love to see them get an international or two, see how they hold it together, and judge it from there...